Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A(nother) transfer Thread

seagullmouse

Jan 3, 2011
I like this thread. Shows how excited we all are.

We do seem to be a little slow off the mark when it comes to signings but if that means we don't overspend and go bust we have to deal with it for years to come.

We are prudent like Gordon Brown said he was!

What happened in the end with FFP, did anyone get fined or in any trouble? when is this going to happen?

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
In other words, we HAVE tried to sign someone and underestimated the target's/current club's needs OR we are simply waiting...

I think the latter, simply because when you look back at TB's reign he hasn't been slow to remove people who he thinks aren't doing a good job. If he didn't think that DB was doing a good job I think DB would be gone.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I really hope that this is not the reason why our incomings have thus far been sparse.
TB didn't become rich by squandering his money, plus the nearer to the season it gets the more desperate the players (agents) become. Players like Jobi McAnuff, Chris Eagles and Andrea Orlandi will be available at a much reduced wage the longer they remain unemployed.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
TB didn't become rich by squandering his money, plus the nearer to the season it gets the more desperate the players (agents) become. Players like Jobi McAnuff, Chris Eagles and Andrea Orlandi will be available at a much reduced wage the longer they remain unemployed.

Fair enough. But that's a slightly different explanation to the one I feared, which is that we'll be saving a month -- or whatever time -- in wages by buying a player on August 7th, for instance, rather than July 7th.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Fair enough. But that's a slightly different explanation to the one I feared, which is that we'll be saving a month -- or whatever time -- in wages by buying a player on August 7th, for instance, rather than July 7th.
Almost certainly not the reason, but a nice little FFP knock on effect all the same. To understand what's happening it helps to start thinking like Paul Barber.

:)

#whatwouldBarberdo

Jaguar_uk

Jun 1, 2013
Ok, before you shoot me down, hear me out....

The frustration is growing daily within me and many others with our lack of transfer deals. I am not a JCL and have supported the club for over 35 years. I also fully support TB.

However, it is worrying that we have not made any significant signings, ie to at least cover the players we lost/let go...2 keepers, 1 centre half, 1 playmaker (PIG, Upson & Orlandi). These are the minimum we need to replace as you could argue that Walton will take Brez's place, Toko to replace Bridcutt, a returning CMS to replace Barnes etc..

The 3 positions I mentioned are crucial and that is before we even talk about a new striker (or 2).

The reason I am worried is that we are all fed the company line that we have monitored many players and could move for a player at 'any time' once the manager makes clear the attributes he is looking for. Burke has a 'list' you see.

Well, Hyypia has been here a little while now and one would hope he has already identified some players, at least one at least?! So what's with the delay?

We are led to believe that the Spain training camp is very important to bond the players and let Sami get his ideas across so should we not have brought some players in before the camp? I'm not saying it is too late afterwards but surely we should have done everything we can to do some deals before they left?

Before you shout that maybe we did try, here's another point...this 'list' that Burke has should surely be of players that we believe would actually be available and willing to come? There's no point just having a list of good players and then have bids for them turned down, ie Baldock if press releases are to be believed.

I hoped the club had various 'options', real options that they may have sounded out the agents of etc. (don't fool yourself if you think this doesn't happen before an actual bid is made) and that all they wanted was Hyypia's yay or nay before signing them.

As I say, I am not complaining about the club or talking about FFP but we did sign Toko with no manager so surely we had players in mind to move on before we lost the aforementioned players?

As I've found to my cost it is not wise in here to question the clubs ability to even sign Mickey Mouse. Most folk on here are afflicted by blind faith and actually believe ppl like Burke know what they are doing, worrying huh?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Of course not but we got him in, we discussed terms and a transfer fee. We haven't done that now though.

All we keep hearing is that we have bids turned down or that targets (if they really were) have signed for someone else.

Again, we should not be missing out on (supposedly) all these targets if our recruitment team's assessment was thorough enough to include that they were available, willing and affordable BEFORE we bid for them.

So you've jumped to the assumption that it's only our recruitment team thats responsible for someone signing for us then and that the potential signing doesn't have a say. What if the potential signings want to take some time to make sure we are the right fit for them?

If someone is at another club, we can't discuss whether they would like to join us or to discuss any details of any transfer deals with them until we have permission from their parent club (a bit like Leicester, us and Ulloa) - I bet Leicester thought that they would have signed him by now, but like a lot of transfers, there are other factors that can hold a transfer up no matter how much work has been put in.

You're assuming that everyone we go for will automatically want to sign for us because we are Brighton, because we have a nice ground and because we have a new manager and trainging ground - real life just doesn't work like that.

Someone postewd a link earlier to everyone who has been signed this transfer windsow so far, how many of them would you have wanted us to sign and would have been an improvement on what we have / had?

Still plenty of time, so be patient

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
As I've found to my cost it is not wise in here to question the clubs ability to even sign Mickey Mouse. Most folk on here are afflicted by blind faith and actually believe ppl like Burke know what they are doing, worrying huh?

Very worrying indeed!

Don't get me wrong, I support the club and have done since I was 6 years old but I do have a brain and I can have an opinion which may or may not question the way the club works. You are correct though, there are people on here who feel that you should blindly follow everything the club does and back it to the hilt without questioning anything.

I have also found that if you do question something there are some that will try to 'bully' you or put you down.

I find it very bizarre as I thought I might be able to 'discuss' opinions!!

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
So you've jumped to the assumption that it's only our recruitment team thats responsible for someone signing for us then and that the potential signing doesn't have a say. What if the potential signings want to take some time to make sure we are the right fit for them?

If someone is at another club, we can't discuss whether they would like to join us or to discuss any details of any transfer deals with them until we have permission from their parent club (a bit like Leicester, us and Ulloa) - I bet Leicester thought that they would have signed him by now, but like a lot of transfers, there are other factors that can hold a transfer up no matter how much work has been put in.

You're assuming that everyone we go for will automatically want to sign for us because we are Brighton, because we have a nice ground and because we have a new manager and trainging ground - real life just doesn't work like that.

Someone postewd a link earlier to everyone who has been signed this transfer windsow so far, how many of them would you have wanted us to sign and would have been an improvement on what we have / had?

Still plenty of time, so be patient

If you honestly believe that 'quiet enquiries' don't go on with agents and others about the availability of individuals and how likely they would come to a club before an 'official' approach is made then you are kidding yourself.

As has been mentioned before, I have played football at a reasonable level (not professional) and it goes on even there!

Many former managers have intimated that they 'knew' a player wanted to join them before they signed them, sometimes this 'willingness' has actually made a manager bid for a player.

Do you think that Bridcutt had 'contact' with someone before Poyet made a move for him? I do.

As for being patient, as stated previously in this thread, I am not bemoaning our lack of activity but merely questioning whether our recruitment team are as thorough as many in here believe they are. It is intended to be a debate and there are no right or wrong answers, just people's opinions.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Ok, before you shoot me down, hear me out....

The frustration is growing daily within me and many others with our lack of transfer deals. I am not a JCL and have supported the club for over 35 years. I also fully support TB.

However, it is worrying that we have not made any significant signings, ie to at least cover the players we lost/let go...2 keepers, 1 centre half, 1 playmaker (PIG, Upson & Orlandi). These are the minimum we need to replace as you could argue that Walton will take Brez's place, Toko to replace Bridcutt, a returning CMS to replace Barnes etc..

The 3 positions I mentioned are crucial and that is before we even talk about a new striker (or 2).

The reason I am worried is that we are all fed the company line that we have monitored many players and could move for a player at 'any time' once the manager makes clear the attributes he is looking for. Burke has a 'list' you see.

Well, Hyypia has been here a little while now and one would hope he has already identified some players, at least one at least?! So what's with the delay?

We are led to believe that the Spain training camp is very important to bond the players and let Sami get his ideas across so should we not have brought some players in before the camp? I'm not saying it is too late afterwards but surely we should have done everything we can to do some deals before they left?

Before you shout that maybe we did try, here's another point...this 'list' that Burke has should surely be of players that we believe would actually be available and willing to come? There's no point just having a list of good players and then have bids for them turned down, ie Baldock if press releases are to be believed.

I hoped the club had various 'options', real options that they may have sounded out the agents of etc. (don't fool yourself if you think this doesn't happen before an actual bid is made) and that all they wanted was Hyypia's yay or nay before signing them.

As I say, I am not complaining about the club or talking about FFP but we did sign Toko with no manager so surely we had players in mind to move on before we lost the aforementioned players?

Perfectly reasonable post... ignore the NSC clique.

My opinion is that we should be questioning a recruitment setup which is, as things stand, 6 or 7 players short of a full house. Something isn't working. Might be DB, might just be a lack of funds or lack of realism when it comes to market-level wages. Let's face it, most everything is RIGHT with the club, so why can't we attract players?

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Everyone can equally start a thread.

Some peoples threads are just more equal than others.

All fans of any club will be questioning their summer signings to date. If not on here then where....what's the problem?

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Everyone can equally start a thread.

Some peoples threads are just more equal than others.

All fans of any club will be questioning their summer signings to date. If not on here then where....what's the problem?

Because some of the Mods think they are oh so f*****g adroit and hilarious

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

Still plenty of time, so be patient[/QUOTE]

The thing is what we don't really need is players being signed right at the end of the window and the taking 6-8 weeks to bed in because we then are playing catch up like last season and that's without the prospect of losing Ulloa or anybody else

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
so when does the transfer window end?
am thinking of coming over for the Birmingham and Leeds games
and a home game to round off the week >
but .... will we have a team by then?
Shall I book a ferry or not ? Any advice ?

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
Perfectly reasonable post... ignore the NSC clique.

My opinion is that we should be questioning a recruitment setup which is, as things stand, 6 or 7 players short of a full house. Something isn't working. Might be DB, might just be a lack of funds or lack of realism when it comes to market-level wages. Let's face it, most everything is RIGHT with the club, so why can't we attract players?

Very, very good post.

Everyone keeps saying that we have plenty of time and we don't need to rush etc. etc. but I cannot believe that ANY club that are supposedly 'all set' to move at 'any time' would not get their players signed as early as possible.

If you know what you need and you know the player you want and you've done all the 'quiet chats' you need to have then surely you sign them up, no?

Liverpool haven't waited have they? They said that their recruitment team were 'ready' and they are proving it.

Some on here seem to think that signing players at the end of the window, after the spanish trip, after all our friendlies, with no time for the new players to even settle in before the season is already going on, is...good business sense as it is financially prudent! Wtf??!

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
There are a myriad of threads on the board, many right near the top where all your points are being/have been and will continue to be discussed.

It does not need another thread.

What if I was to start an "I have evidence that Paul Barber is in league with Lucifer" thread? Would you consider that narcassistic?

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
WTF??!!!

I have just noticed my thread title has been changed??

Excuse me but who and how is that?

Apart from being totally inaccurate, it is also rude, disrespectful and extremely condescending.

What sort of forum has people in charge who change someone's threads because they don't like that person's opinion.

Shame on you whoever is responsible.

Give a monkey power and he will believe he is a lion.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
WTF??!!!

Apart from being totally inaccurate, it is also rude, disrespectful and extremely condescending.

What sort of forum has people in charge who change someone's threads because they don't like that person's opinion.

You must fall in line or the Bozzabot will crush you. Either that or he will make you look like a right c*n* because he or his scrunes will not tolerate free thinking

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
WTF??!!!

When the Berlin wall came down all the East German Stasi fled to Sussex and got recruited as Moderators on NSC. There is no free thinking or speach allowed, this is considered non conformist and anti-social. You need to conform to an acceptable steriotype. ie politics, either an extreme rightwing nazi pretending to be moderate, a 2 dimensional student union lefty stuck in the 1960s or a Green with a room temperature IQ.

I advise you not to press any strange buttons you come across, weve lost a few members like that. Oh and dont be rude about Ipads or teir shallow and lackluster users.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here