Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] A MASSIVE band is reforming....

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
See I loved Trick of the tail and Duke ,
but And then there were three is my favourite Genesis album, absolutely love it and still play it.
So it’s all about personal choice . Not sure why people say things are shit or this and that just because they don’t like it or sometimes won’t let themselves like it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
but And then there were three is my favourite Genesis album, absolutely love it and still play it.
So it’s all about personal choice . Not sure why people say things are shit or this and that just because they don’t like it or sometimes won’t let themselves like it.

I lost interest after Wind and Wuthering where Collins did a good job of trying to do a Peter Gabriel. The albums you mention are a fairly radical departure from their early days. Nothing wrong with it, just not my taste. Very commercial and reaching a much bigger audience too.

Hard to criticise a band who wrote and performed their own music to massive audiences imo

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
£180 per ticket for the first tier in Birmingham or £70 if you want to sit in the next postcode...
Hotel packages available £360 per person...
As much as Genesis were the first band I really liked I would not pay that for 3 geriatrics...
Phil Collins son is playing the drums it said on the website.
Why not Chester ??

On the other hand Hackett in Oxford is £50 for Suppers ready.

Saw them at the Brighton Centre I think early 80’s so I will just remember them from that...

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yep you were.... :D

Any band from leafy Godalming can hardly be groundbreaking..... and you can hear it in the twinkle sprinkle bollox on that song....

That was god awful drivel, that reminded me of fairies and pixie bollox the beatles did, ground breaking my arse....

Ah! Leafy Godalming - just round the corner from where The Jam came from...............................

I must have missed the Beatles fairies and pixies albums :shrug: ......................... you seem to be confusing them with Uriah Heap ......................

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
£180 per ticket for the first tier in Birmingham or £70 if you want to sit in the next postcode...
As much as Genesis were the first band I really liked I would not pay that for 3 geriatrics...
Why not Chester ??

I feel exactly the same about The Stones, The Who and The Eagles and wouldn’t cross the road to watch any of them these days, whereas at their peak I’d queue for hours to get tickets :shrug:

The only old codger I’d pay good money to go and see is Neil Young

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No it didn’t

Yes it did. No problem with people liking latter day Genesis - many people did. It was pleasant, easy-listening pop music. Nothing wrong with that either, but cutting edge it was not, unlike their early days.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Agreed.
Gabriel is a genius but he was taking over the band with his dressing up and I still think Selling England by the pound was their best album.

Gabriel was the singer on that album too, you realise? Do you think the three they released before that, Trespass, Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot (with Gabriel as singer) are better or worse than the albums released after he left, with the little hairy mockney on vocals (Wing and wuthering, etc)?

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Why not Chester ??

Saw them at the Brighton Centre I think early 80’s so I will just remember them from that...

Showing my age here but when I was a student in the early 70's I saw them in City Hall in Newcastle late 1973 I think. Peter Gabriel was amazing as part of them in these early days. Not sure I'd want to go now for the prices mentioned and also Collins can't play drums anymore or move around the stage. I'll leave my memories of what were a truly original band back in the 70's.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Agree with your first sentence, but you've got Genesis completely wrong. Yes, they were pleasant, no offensive and easy listening in their later years. But I can assure you when I first discovered Genesis in 1971 they weren't just pushing boundaries, they were tearing them down. Albums like Nursery Crymes, Trespass and Foxtrot were truly creative and ground-breaking. High up on the 'Wow factor' scale!
Their credibility as a serious band didn't survive the departures of Gabriel and Hackett - they got away with it for an album or two because Collins' voice sounds pretty similar to Gabriel's - but pretty quickly turned to MOR mediocrity. Commercially successful, yes, but bland, most definitely!

Absolutely spot on. Phil Collins can sing like Gabriel, but where is tye song writing? The instrumental work later sounds like a pastiche of the early work. It made me sad.

There are many tracks I can post from the first 3 albums . . . . my guess is devotees of Collins' pop will find this unpalatable. I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X_3yOUKSOc

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Absolutely spot on. Phil Collins can sing like Gabriel, but where is tye song writing? The instrumental work later sounds like a pastiche of the early work. It made me sad.

There are many tracks I can post from the first 3 albums . . . . my guess is devotees of Collins' pop will find this unpalatable. I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X_3yOUKSOc

As I said my introduction to genesis was in 1986 I was 14. I definitely was not listening to them or had a clue about them in 1971 as I was not even born. So yes I started as a Collins led Genesis but also I love Musical Box. So it would seem the younger Genesis fans are actually more open minded and see them as one band. As I said the "No Peter, No Steve, No Genesis" has dragged on for far to long I just wish people would get over it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
As I said my introduction to genesis was in 1986 I was 14. I definitely was not listening to them or had a clue about them in 1971 as I was not even born. So yes I started as a Collins led Genesis but also I love Musical Box. So it would seem the younger Genesis fans are actually more open minded and see them as one band. As I said the "No Peter, No Steve, No Genesis" has dragged on for far to long I just wish people would get over it.

I think this thread was started by the OP for a bit of mockery (of Collins). I joined in.

You and I differ in our taste :shrug: I have nothing to get over. Any music I don't like I just....put on ignore :wink::wave:

Edit: Collins was a tip top drummer. Without him they'd have been a lesser band.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

I couldn't pick out a single favourite, but The Fountain of Salmacis was the first Genesis song I heard - probably on the Peel programme - and it blew me away. Think I went out the next day and bought the album. Prog Rock at it's very finest (before Prog Rock disappeared up its own arse).

P.S. Also agree that Collins was a top drummer.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
As an aside Collins was a wonderful drummer, check out his jazz rock side project Brand X who were basically a Weather Report Tribute Band but none the worse for that...

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I think this thread was started by the OP for a bit of mockery (of Collins). I joined in.

You and I differ in our taste :shrug: I have nothing to get over. Any music I don't like I just....put on ignore :wink::wave:

Edit: Collins was a tip top drummer. Without him they'd have been a lesser band.

Fair enough but as we both like Peter led Genesis so our taste in music does not differ that greatly. I could talk to you for hours about the opening track on "Selling England by the Pound" that album is ducking amazing. But Peter chose to leave, it not as if his Album "So" was a progressive master piece (I love that album as well) . I'm not sure what older Genesis fans wanted, if they continued as they were in the 70's ironically they would have not progressed and died. Hogweeds, myths and fables would not have been popular in the 80's

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
And this absolutely has the hairs stand up at the back of my neck. Phil Collins eat yer 'eart out.

Opening of their set (can't recall if this was the first or second time I saw them). Jaw dropping magnificence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi3vD5ki1bE

And then the masterpiece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szJq1lwnkNw

Just great

If you get the chance to see The Musical Box tribute band they are brilliant and don’t play any of the later crap

Start with Watcher of the Skies - spine tingling

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Fair enough but as we both like Peter led Genesis so our taste in music does not differ that greatly. I could talk to you for hours about the opening track on "Selling England by the Pound" that album is ducking amazing. But Peter chose to leave, it not as if his Album "So" was a progressive master piece (I love that album as well) . I'm not sure what older Genesis fans wanted, if they continued as they were in the 70's ironically they would have not progressed and died. Hogweeds, myths and fables would not have been popular in the 80's

I moved away from prog rock in the mid 70s. By 76 I'd cut my hair and turned into a little punk rocker. I started listening to 'prog' again when I heard Ozric Tentacles and, later, Porcupine Tree, and by the early 80s I'd pretty much given up being a'purist snob' and would listen to anything that took my fancy (Madonna, 70 Gwen Party, Tuxedomoon, Killing Joke, King Sunny Ade, Rick Astley - lol!) :thumbsup:

Just switching this off before I nip off to watch tonight's telly footy....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAesABLDePA

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here