Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] A little fact I'd actually forgotten about the Hereford game

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
If we beat Palace on Monday will we be the first team to have occupied the bottom place in tier 4 and to have been top of the Premier League? Unfortunately at least Carlisle United have already done top of old first division and bottom of 4th division but as we all know, football didn't exist before the Premier League.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Might be a minority opinion but I think if the result had gone the other way we still would've flourished eventually.

The building blocks were there, Dick Knight, Withdean(after a couple of years) and the support.

We will never know but getting out of the conference and into the league was and is tough

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I’ve just watched this, it brought a tear to my eye…for the obvious reason and also because I celebrated that win with my Mum (RIP) who was an ardent fan who travelled all over the country with me to games. This was the most joyous by a margin. I’m sure that plenty who were there have suffered similar losses since.

https://youtu.be/-4SyMPHlwn8

Last edited:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
We will never know but getting out of the conference and into the league was and is tough

Without any where to play our home games after relegation, and with all the other ongoing issues at the club, chances are that had we survived at all, it ouldn't have been the Conference we would have been playing in, but a league or division much further down the pyramid.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Under the earlier goal average system (ie. goals for divided by goals against) Brighton would still have been relegated - 0.75 to 0.79.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I always thought that it was just for that one season that it was decided on goals for, and that it reverted to GD the following one

It was definitely ‘Goals For’ from 92/93… not sure when it ended though, so my 5 years was a guess.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
We were completely abysmal that year.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
If we beat Palace on Monday will we be the first team to have occupied the bottom place in tier 4 and to have been top of the Premier League? Unfortunately at least Carlisle United have already done top of old first division and bottom of 4th division but as we all know, football didn't exist before the Premier League.

Good question. Just worked out that Swansea went top after winning their first 3 games in 2014, but Chelsea overtook them later in the day. So we might be the first at the end of a round of fixtures. Can’t remember Fulham ever getting off to a flier.

But we’ve got to win first anyway … [emoji846]

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
We were completely abysmal that year.

Apart from at home after Christmas, where we were superb.

Finishing bottom on 47 points is incredibly harsh as well. Many teams have gone down with points in the mid 20s before.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It was definitely ‘Goals For’ from 92/93… not sure when it ended though, so my 5 years was a guess.

Are you certain? Possibly memory playing tricks, but I seem to remember reading the program notes of the first game in 96/97 - a 2-1 win against Chester - that goals scored taking precedence was being introduced that season.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Apart from at home after Christmas, where we were superb.

Finishing bottom on 47 points is incredibly harsh as well. Many teams have gone down with points in the mid 20s before.

Indeed. And many of the games that season were - and always will be - legendary.

Hull City, Fans United, Orient, Barnet, Doncaster, Hereford etc etc. Just amazing.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Are you certain? Possibly memory playing tricks, but I seem to remember reading the program notes of the first game in 96/97 - a 2-1 win against Chester - that goals scored taking precedence was being introduced that season.

I may have it wrong. I just have a memory of us being thrashed at home in 92 by Orient, but being pleased when Andy Kennedy scored a late consolation goal believing that goals for would mean something more in a loss.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Indeed. And many of the games that season were - and always will be - legendary.

Hull City, Fans United, Orient, Barnet, Doncaster, Hereford etc etc. Just amazing.

Yeh, the end of that season was like nothing i'd ever seen.

Every match breathless. The sort of games where you lay awake all night because you can't come down. The only time i've ever prayed in my adult life was that Barnet game you mention where we were defending a late onslaught.

The first half of the season. Yes abysmal

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
So many of those were great days out/weekends away even though it was troubled times. It feels so different now. Maybe because I'm so much older.

Fulham, Leyton Orient, Cambridge, Lincoln, Colchester and Cardiff were great traditional days.

Scarborough, Torquay, Carlisle, Exeter and Chester made for lovely weekend breaks (even though Torquay was New Year's Day and felt like Russia on a bitterly cold afternoon).

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Yeh, the end of that season was like nothing i'd ever seen.

Every match breathless. The sort of games where you lay awake all night because you can't come down. The only time i've ever prayed in my adult life was that Barnet game you mention where we were defending a late onslaught.

The first half of the season. Yes abysmal

The Barnet match was the last one ever under the floodlights. They had Alan Mullery in charge that season who played the long ball and it wasn't popular. I think he'd just been sacked before the April meeting. A nervy 1-0 win.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here