Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A letter to the Minister for Transport.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Dear Mr Baker

In your capacity as Government Minister for Transport I would like to raise your attention to the desperate need for improved transport links between the City of Brighton and Hove and the new Community Stadium at Falmer.

I demand that this Coalition Government take steps, in the national interest, to fund a light rail / tram system to permit rapid transport between this fabulous new facility at Falmer and the city centre.

I am astonished that this Government has not yet undertaken such a project already. Indeed, in your capacity as Transport Minister, what the bloody hell were you doing between 2001 and 2008 to delay such an important transport project??? ? :glare: It must have been bleedin' obvious to you that work had to start on the rail infrastructure years in advance of the noble and worthy structure now gloriously enhancing the Sussex landscape.

It's about time, Mr Baker, that you got your bloody finger out and got your useless act together........

Yours in traffic, stuck on the Lewes Road.......

P.S. I still think you're a w@nker, and I am prepared to risk a super injunction to print it.:wanker:

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Dear Mr Baker

As the Minister of Transport and a committed cyclist, I think your decision to improve transport to the Amex Stadium is commendable. What a splendid idea for you and the LibDem councillors of Lewes to volunteer your services as rickshaw runners for Albion supporters! I look forward to you collecting me at 2pm outside the Evening Star on match days.
You, sir, are doing your bit for an egalitarian society.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Although he is a compete arse, in a perverse and ironic way Baker may be a useful ally in future because of his championing of public transport.
For years he has sought to maintain and increase the frequency and capacity of trains along the Coastway East and London rail lines and wonder if he will appreciate the increased footfall that Falmer will create?

I suspect we will have more to fear from the Greens especially when it comes to gaining planning permission for increased capacity at The Amex. I wonder how sympathetic they will be to the impact an additional 7k fans will have on transport? Therefore I really hope the Club and its partners show that the transport plan works for the The Amex in it's current 22.5k form and swiftly iron out any teething issues, or these could be held against us.

On balance I really hope that with The Amex now being anchored at Falmer alongside the busy University sites and A27 corridor it would prompt more long term investments in infrastructure.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I suspect we will have more to fear from the Greens especially when it comes to gaining planning permission for increased capacity at The Amex. I wonder how sympathetic they will be to the impact an additional 7k fans will have on transport? Therefore I really hope the Club and its partners show that the transport plan works for the The Amex in it's current 22.5k form and swiftly iron out any teething issues, or these could be held against us.

That's a very good point. 'FALMER TRAVEL CHAOS' headlines will not be helpful.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
That's a very good point. 'FALMER TRAVEL CHAOS' headlines will not be helpful.

I have to admit that I'm concerned about the travel situation, especially at midweek games. I have friends who work at the University of Sussex, and they say that it can be a nightmare getting out onto the A27 at rush hours as it is. So add in the effects of coaches full of people heading for the Amex from Mithras House, Race Hill etc - never mind people using the car parks at Sussex - and we could be facing delayed kick-offs and tons of bad publicity.

I'm expecting the club to begin a campaign to persuade people to get there as early as possible in order to stagger congestion (which will have the added advantage to the coffers of more time to eat and drink in the concourses).

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Although he is a compete arse, in a perverse and ironic way Baker may be a useful ally in future because of his championing of public transport.
For years he has sought to maintain and increase the frequency and capacity of trains along the Coastway East and London rail lines and wonder if he will appreciate the increased footfall that Falmer will create?

On balance I really hope that with The Amex now being anchored at Falmer alongside the busy University sites and A27 corridor it would prompt more long term investments in infrastructure.

For a start, no planning application for extra seats will be lodged until it is proved that the initial transport procedures will work - and that might take weeks or months to iron out. Personally, I can't see one being put in before the end of this first season. Walk before we can run and all that.

Secondly, if it does all work, and a new planning application is lodged (with appropriate transport measures included), I don't see why the Greens would object on the grounds that they're the Greens. They're not so naive as to dismiss the notion that more people coming into town equals more revenue.

If the council officers recommend rejection of the new application (on the basis that the transport plan won't work), it doesn't matter which administration is in charge. All the Greens, working along with the club, would do is ensure - via the most sustainable method possible - that the plan would work. But then, so would all the other parties.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I have to admit that I'm concerned about the travel situation, especially at midweek games. I have friends who work at the University of Sussex, and they say that it can be a nightmare getting out onto the A27 at rush hours as it is. So add in the effects of coaches full of people heading for the Amex from Mithras House, Race Hill etc - never mind people using the car parks at Sussex - and we could be facing delayed kick-offs and tons of bad publicity.

QUOTE]

I agree with that. For future planning applications/co-operation local paper headlines are probably more important, but as you will know some national hacks will also wade in if they themselves get severely inconvenienced. I'm not saying that's right, that's just how it tends to work.

I think some travel chaos is almost guaranteed for the first couple of games, it's new for everyone including fans, staff, police and stewards. What will be worrying is if it persists beyond that.

Personally, I have always thought this idea of people wanting to get there really early and being persuaded to stay late was a bit unlikely. People have other things to do in their lives in the morning and evening, they'll get there when they want to and leave when they want to. And ultimately, they're the customer, and your systems have to cope with that.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I think some travel chaos is almost guaranteed for the first couple of games, it's new for everyone including fans, staff, police and stewards. What will be worrying is if it persists beyond that.

Personally, I have always thought this idea of people wanting to get there really early and being persuaded to stay late was a bit unlikely. People have other things to do in their lives in the morning and evening, they'll get there when they want to and leave when they want to. And ultimately, they're the customer, and your systems have to cope with that.

I don't think that many will do that - but even if 5% did, it would ease things a bit.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
My points are positive and realistic i.e. that a) Baker was 'anti' in the past but could be an indirect ally in future, especially as public transport is & will be key to increasing capacity at The Amex, b) the Greens will be in power in the City for the short/medium term, and quite possibly in the timescale for a planning application, and c) it would be prudent to avoid any unfortunate headlines about travel problems at The Amex, quite apart from the inconvenience to us punters.

I agree that any planning authority will require a highly sustainable solution and have said as such in previous posts on this topic.

The ramp up events are about gaining the full safety certificate for the Amex and to practice / prove / refine the transport plans leading into what is hopefully a smooth and enjoyable season for all. That will in turn provide vital evidence in support of a planning application - hopefully within a year or two.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
and where will this light rail transit system run???

It will have to right through the new National Park -

and anyway you'll want one that look like this.........
public-transport-steam-railway.jpg

Last edited:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
If I get to go to a night match (bad fan/non STH) I will certainly plan to be there for between 5pm and 6pm. It's the getting out that worries me though - I have visions of being still trying to get back to the park & ride at midnight

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Dear Mr Baker

In your capacity as Government Minister for Transport I would like to raise your attention to the desperate need for improved transport links between the City of Brighton and Hove and the new Community Stadium at Falmer.

I demand that this Coalition Government take steps, in the national interest, to fund a light rail / tram system to permit rapid transport between this fabulous new facility at Falmer and the city centre.

I am astonished that this Government has not yet undertaken such a project already. Indeed, in your capacity as Transport Minister, what the bloody hell were you doing between 2001 and 2008 to delay such an important transport project??? ? :glare: It must have been bleedin' obvious to you that work had to start on the rail infrastructure years in advance of the noble and worthy structure now gloriously enhancing the Sussex landscape.

It's about time, Mr Baker, that you got your bloody finger out and got your useless act together........

Yours in traffic, stuck on the Lewes Road.......

P.S. I still think you're a w@nker, and I am prepared to risk a super injunction to print it.:wanker:

His simple answer will be he has only been transport minister for the last year!!!!!

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
I don't see why the Greens would object on the grounds that they're the Greens. They're not so naive as to dismiss the notion that more people coming into town equals more revenue.

Come on, considering the amount of time the Greens were getting a slating on here and around the Albion for their stance on the stadium, there is nothing to suggest that they would be willing to work with the club now - on the basis that they are Greens!!

Come on, considering the amount of time the Greens were getting a slating on here and around the Albion for their stance on the stadium, there is nothing to suggest that they would be willing to work with the club now - on the basis that they are Greens!!

Spout what you like but all the Green councillors on the B&HCC Plannning Committee voted for the current Falmer Stadium planning application in 2009.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here