Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A good servant... a good SERVANT?

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
This magnificently hackneyed expression will no doubt be trotted out at clubs up and down the land, as one senior player after another makes his sad and lonely exit from the local field of dreams.

But surely, football must be the only remaining industry where someone who's been with the same employer for donkey's years is routinely described as "a good servant". It all smacks of times gone by, when the club chairman / mill owner stuck an extra ten-bob note in the departing, granite-faced custodian's wage packet as, jamming his cloth cap on his Brylcreemed, centre-parted head, he free-wheeled his rusty old bike down the dank cobbles of Hovis Hill in search of a new career down the pit.

Describing the likes of Gary Hart and Michele Kuipers as 'good servants' seems about as journalistically imaginative as Dean Cox only ever being 'diminutive'.

Anyone ever heard 'good servant' used to describe retirees in their own workplace? (Domestic service operatives are excluded, obviously.) If so, do tell!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Similarly, 'journeyman' is regularly trotted out.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
i would happily be a bloody slave for 30k a week playing football!!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
In the teletext years, it was always the word STALWART. I ruddy loved that word, STALWART.

Only *ever* seen on teletext to describe a "good servant".

Page 312 3/6
Brighton are after Chelsea stalwart Dale Jasper etc etc

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Don O'Riordan. Impossible to type, without the word 'STALWART'.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I remember reading an interview- I don't think it was football related, it was about different careers- with Adam Virgo about six years ago, in which he stated he earned (I think) £78,000 per year, rather comfortably more than the minimum wage I would venture.

I've yet to meet any servants who earn that, or perhaps I'm just not paying mine the going rate?

Lurker

62 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
My personal favourite servant would be a 'sub' ..... :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here