Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A furious Ian Holloway...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Consistency, fella. That's the main gripe I have with referees, consistency. I don't care how they interpret the laws of the game, as long as they are consistent.

Vincelot punch and Barnes two footed tackle = reds = fair enough

Two footed tackle on Tarrico and push in El-Abds face = nothing = massively inconsistent and very poor refereeing.

Not to mention the Greer goal..

Consistancy is impossible, and this is the problem. People have unrealistic expectations of referees. What seems simple, easy and basic isn't really any of those things. I don't have much sympathy with mr Pawson, he could atleast have allowed the Greer goal!, but I do think refereeing in general is much harder than it seems. If you blink at the wrong moment, you're screwed because you've missed an incident and the crowd is screaming, the players are squaring up to each other, the managers are getting tetchy... Not an easy environment to deal with. It's certainly not a job that I would be able to do.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Consistancy is impossible, and this is the problem. People have unrealistic expectations of referees. What seems simple, easy and basic isn't really any of those things. I don't have much sympathy with mr Pawson, he could atleast have allowed the Greer goal!, but I do think refereeing in general is much harder than it seems. If you blink at the wrong moment, you're screwed because you've missed an incident and the crowd is screaming, the players are squaring up to each other, the managers are getting tetchy... Not an easy environment to deal with. It's certainly not a job that I would be able to do.

Why is consistency impossible? What degree of consistency should we come to expect?

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Why is consistency impossible? What degree of consistency should we come to expect?

Or indeed I suppose, if consistency is impossible then what degrees of inconsistency should we come to expect? What degree of inconsistency is acceptable to expect from referees in professional games?

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
The Greer goal should never have been disallowed. I still don't know what was wrong with that.

Yes, it should.
Blatant push in the back by Dunk which stopped there defender from making the clearing header. Clear as day from where I was sat, as with many around me. That was the correct decision.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

Because every decision is different. There could be two identical tackles in a match and be punished in completely different ways for any number of reasons, but the most obvious being that the ref had a different view of the second to the first. There are many subtle differences which could lead to a completely different outcome. I am a student of the chaos theory.

Going off on a big of a tangent, but do you get involved in Playforyourclub? The original version of that game is dominated by Barnet. This is a free game, fans of all clubs can play and yet the most successful team on there is Barnet. They don't have the biggest fanbase, clearly, but chaos theory is that you don't need a high number of fans to be good on that game, just a high percentage of your fans playing it. Take tomorrow's game at the Amex, Brighton will have what, 18,000 fans there and Southampton will have say 3,000. We outnumber them roughly 6 to 1, so if it was a straight fight on playforyourclub played only by people in the stadium, they shouldn't stand a chance. But of our 18,000, only 1,000 might play it but 2,000 of their 3,000 might, so despite our obvious advantage, we'd probably lose. If you followed any of that, that's the reason why I have sympathy for referees not being consistent.

I still booed and heckled Pawson, he was the pantomime villain and loved it.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Yes, it should.
Blatant push in the back by Dunk which stopped there defender from making the clearing header. Clear as day from where I was sat, as with many around me. That was the correct decision.

:down: Oh, alright then. So what we're saying is that he got the Vincelot red card right, he got the Barnes red card right, he got the not sending off the Burnley player wrong, but he got the disallowed right. Overall, he'll say it wasn't a bad game for him. But he won't want to come back here too soon.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Because every decision is different. There could be two identical tackles in a match and be punished in completely different ways for any number of reasons, but the most obvious being that the ref had a different view of the second to the first. There are many subtle differences which could lead to a completely different outcome. I am a student of the chaos theory.

Going off on a big of a tangent, but do you get involved in Playforyourclub? The original version of that game is dominated by Barnet. This is a free game, fans of all clubs can play and yet the most successful team on there is Barnet. They don't have the biggest fanbase, clearly, but chaos theory is that you don't need a high number of fans to be good on that game, just a high percentage of your fans playing it. Take tomorrow's game at the Amex, Brighton will have what, 18,000 fans there and Southampton will have say 3,000. We outnumber them roughly 6 to 1, so if it was a straight fight on playforyourclub played only by people in the stadium, they shouldn't stand a chance. But of our 18,000, only 1,000 might play it but 2,000 of their 3,000 might, so despite our obvious advantage, we'd probably lose. If you followed any of that, that's the reason why I have sympathy for referees not being consistent.

I still booed and heckled Pawson, he was the pantomime villain and loved it.

I didn't take you as a student of it, are you a mathematician? Or NatSci? Anyway I'm not sure that's how chaos theory should be taken...

True consistency is of course, impossible in the time span and view point of a referee. However, from being at the game I feel that his decision making was biased. Unfortunately the highlights of the instances I mentioned are not on Seagulls Player and thus I cannot compare the referee's position. However, from being at the game I know he was in a good position for both the Barnes sending off (and he saw the headlock on Barnes) and I know he was in a good position for the two footed challenge on Taricco. I do not feel his decision making in those two incidents alone were suitable for a professional referee. I am but a Brighton fan however, and I'm sure better people than I are in charge of the referee recruitment and training procedures in this country..

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I didn't take you as a student of it, are you a mathematician? Or NatSci? Anyway I'm not sure that's how chaos theory should be taken...

True consistency is of course, impossible in the time span and view point of a referee. However, from being at the game I feel that his decision making was biased. Unfortunately the highlights of the instances I mentioned are not on Seagulls Player and thus I cannot compare the referee's position. However, from being at the game I know he was in a good position for both the Barnes sending off (and he saw the headlock on Barnes) and I know he was in a good position for the two footed challenge on Taricco. I do not feel his decision making in those two incidents alone were suitable for a professional referee. I am but a Brighton fan however, and I'm sure better people than I are in charge of the referee recruitment and training procedures in this country..

I'm a casual student of it. ??? In that I heard Dr Malcolm in Jurassic Park talking about it. But it interests me.

I think using terms liked biased is very strong, and too strong. I don't think he was intentionally being biased, I'm not even totally convinced he was the worst referee that we've seen this season. He gave a few key decisions against us, sending off 2 players and disallowing a goal is fairly substantial in one game of football, not to mention the assualt on Noone which probably should have been a penalty, and indeed the assualt on Barnes which resulted in our chap being sent off rather than theirs. But, for our talk of consistency, maybe Pawson is? He pissed off Holloway today and I followed an earlier posted link to a site which allows fans to rate a referee's performance, and last season he got a 1 star for his performance in the Norwich vs Preston match. Maybe that's the only type of consistency we should expect.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here