Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A footy thread: team for Plymouth?

Sorting out the world is fine, but what about sorting out our formation :D

I reckon still 4-4-2:

Shaaban;
Reid, Hinsh, Butters, Harding;
Hart, Oatway, Chippy, Knight;
Big Mac; Virgs.

Great news that Big Mac has recovered from his mystery illness. Sad week for Virgs but my guess is he'll want to play. It's tough to split Charlie and Alexis but I've just gone for Charlie's more positive contribution to the front pair than Alexis's slick passing at the back.

Last edited:

E

enigma

Not sure about Mac and Virgo up front, bit muscular for my liking.........

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
I'm not a fan of two similar players up front together, plus I think Knight's a bit attacking to play in midfield away from home.

Code:
                Shaaban

Hinsh  Virgo  Butters

Reid                               Harding

Oatway Nicolas Carpenter

Knight McCammon

I think 3-5-2 serves us best away from home, and would allow Oatway to come back in.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Repugnant Toad said:
I'm not a fan of two similar players up front together, plus I think Knight's a bit attacking to play in midfield away from home.

Code:
                Shaaban

Hinsh  Virgo  Butters

Oatway Nicolas Carpenter

Knight McCammon

I think 3-5-2 serves us best away from home, and would allow Oatway to come back in.

I'd actually agree with that with a view to keeping it tight. Obviously we have a fair amount of adaptability with this where we can stick virgs up front and bring Harty off the bench.

Virgo for me is the key if he plays

Jul 25, 2003
Saltdean
First, shame on you Irish for starting a football thread.
Last season, in the equivalent fixture, we were 3-1 up and folded to 3-3. I don't want to see us sitting back too much. They've got the players to score goals and we would have loved to have got Blackstock as an option.So I would go for a formation that means we take them on. At Cardiff and Stoke we paid the price for not threatening the goal.Virgo and Mac up front to mix it a bit still leaves the possibility to use Virgs at the back if necessary.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
napier's kit man said:
First, shame on you Irish for starting a football thread.
Last season, in the equivalent fixture, we were 3-1 up and folded to 3-3. I don't want to see us sitting back too much. They've got the players to score goals and we would have loved to have got Blackstock as an option.So I would go for a formation that means we take them on. At Cardiff and Stoke we paid the price for not threatening the goal.Virgo and Mac up front to mix it a bit still leaves the possibility to use Virgs at the back if necessary.

At Stoke we started with McPhee , McCammon , Knight and Hart . . . 4 strikers. Away from home is a gamble to play like this

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Repugnant Toad said:

Shaaban

Hinsh Virgo Butters

Reid Harding

Oatway Nicolas Carpenter

Knight McCammon

I agree but would swap Hinsh & Virgo over.

Jul 25, 2003
Saltdean
Quantum said:
At Stoke we started with McPhee , McCammon , Knight and Hart . . . 4 strikers. Away from home is a gamble to play like this

The danger is that we leave McCammon and Knight feeding on scraps and get deeper and deeper. Virgo has forced mistakes from defences and this can help to disrupt their flow.
To be honest, I will just be happy if we take them on, whatever the formation, and threaten their goal a bit more than we managed at Stoke and Cardiff. I was at Cardiff and we never really got going.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
napier's kit man said:
The danger is that we leave McCammon and Knight feeding on scraps and get deeper and deeper. Virgo has forced mistakes from defences and this can help to disrupt their flow.
To be honest, I will just be happy if we take them on, whatever the formation, and threaten their goal a bit more than we managed at Stoke and Cardiff. I was at Cardiff and we never really got going.

yeah I went to Stoke and the first half really was awful again we never got going either. You just want to see us compete and go into every tackle like the season depends on it, carve out some chances and keep it rock solid at the back

Seagullible

Super Keeper
Jul 7, 2003
Tea room, The Office, Slough
Repugnant Toad said:

Code:
                Shaaban

Hinsh  Virgo  Butters

Oatway Nicolas Carpenter

Knight McCammon

this is my choice too

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Id play Toads one, except Hart in for Oatway.

However, with Hart and Jones to come off the bench, it would give us a couple of attacking options.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Do we know if McCammon is fit yet?

silky1

Aug 2, 2004
Macclesfield
Repugnant Toad said:

Code:
                Shaaban

Hinsh  Virgo  Butters

Oatway Nicolas Carpenter

Knight McCammon

Only change I would make would replace Harding with Mayo. Have the option of Jones to replace Mayo late on if chasing the game.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Rangdo said:
Do we know if McCammon is fit yet?

MM said on SW that he was training well again now.
It appears it may have been an ear infection.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here