Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] A Dream

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

An interesting appointment, a 5 year deal too. Unproven at the highest level, will prove to be either an absolute masterstroke or another episode in the continuing shambles that is Chelsea Football Club.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It is a ridiculously risky appointment. Maresca simply has nothing like the track record to demonstrate that he is ready for a job like this.

He's only been a manager for a single season, and only has experience of managing a side who are the best in their (poor) division - winning most weeks.

So how he will react / cope with a prolonged run of indifferent form is a total unknown.
Does he have the tactical flexibility to tweak his system against sides stronger than his own?
How he will cope with the levels of expectation / entitlement common to Todd the Toad and the Chelsea fanbase, is an unknown.
How the big egos in the squad will react to a complete novice manager with no track record, is an unknown.
How good he is at controlling / managing those egos, is another.

If I were a betting man, I'd wager that he'll not see out TWO of those five years.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
It’s interesting isn’t it? This again seems driven by Clearwater LLPs desire to adopt/put so much faith in the cross pollination between Football and American sports where the ‘coach tree’ argument holds so much weight.

However strong a head coach an assistant has worked with it’s absolutely no guarantee of their ability to bring their own ideas to the table and communicate those effectively to the team.

The fluidity of football only allows so much managerial influence once the whistle blows verses the play by play/stop start nature of American sports where you almost have a reactive approach to tactics based on what’s happening in the game at such a granular level.

For every Arteta there are many assistants who just don’t have the personality or technical ability to go it alone.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Condoleances to anyone following Maresca and his career and liking his management. I know what they go through right now.

But they should know the rewards come eventually - Chelsea sacking Graham Potter was one of my favorite football moments in the last few years. Pretty much a month long "I dont have to watch Chelsea"-festival.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Anticipation Popcorn GIF

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
It is a ridiculously risky appointment. Maresca simply has nothing like the track record to demonstrate that he is ready for a job like this.

He's only been a manager for a single season, and only has experience of managing a side who are the best in their (poor) division - winning most weeks.

So how he will react / cope with a prolonged run of indifferent form is a total unknown.
Does he have the tactical flexibility to tweak his system against sides stronger than his own?
How he will cope with the levels of expectation / entitlement common to Todd the Toad and the Chelsea fanbase, is an unknown.
How the big egos in the squad will react to a complete novice manager with no track record, is an unknown.
How good he is at controlling / managing those egos, is another.

If I were a betting man, I'd wager that he'll not see out TWO of those five years.
Agree with this and I think he will be lucky to survive next season.

People seem to forget that Leicester were coasting to the title (17 points clear I think) and suddenly players and manager couldn't cope with the pressure and at one time let Ipswich overtake them following a horrendous run of results seeing them lose to Plymouth, Millwall, Bristol City, QPR and Middlesbro. Very strange appointment by basket case Chelsea. IMO

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

An interesting appointment, a 5 year deal too. Unproven at the highest level, will prove to be either an absolute masterstroke or another episode in the continuing shambles that is Chelsea Football Club.
Only five..I thought Chelsea put everyone on 8 years deals…not that the length of contract will matter regarding his employment….just the sweetener when he goes

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
not that unknown, expect reaction similar or worse than to Potter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here