Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] A classic match at the Amex , Brighton 6 Blackpool 1. A reminder what we are missing

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Was a stunning performance like many others that season which I enjoyed greatly at the time.

Unfortunately though, unlike a few posters on this thread, my view of that team and Poyet will always be tainted by the way it ended that season. As well as the way a select few of those players later left the club.

Between Poyet and the players they never had the nous nor fight to come back from behind to win a game, as was painfully evidenced in the play off semi.

Some great games that year but no Albion Greats.

Seagulls over Essex

Jun 4, 2004
Leigh-on-Sea
Remember it really well. Dean Hammond's own goal set off a chant of '5-0, to the Albion' (and 6-0, 7-0)

Got train into town with my son afterwards to meet wife and daughter for dinner in Kemp Town. Chatting to two Blackpool fans who were down for the weekend on the train and dropped them off at the Bulldog on the way into Kemp Town. Probably some of the few supporters who were taken there when they were actually looking for it :thumbsup:

Ah The Bulldog. That was my local when I used to work in Brighton just around the corner. Only ever went in there the once though!!!

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
What a wonderful kit too

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Remember it really well. Dean Hammond's own goal set off a chant of '5-0, to the Albion' (and 6-0, 7-0)

Remember the "We score when we want" chant ringing round the Amex, followed by "We score WHERE we want" after Hammond scored that incredible OG.

What an afternoon that was.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Ah The Bulldog. That was my local when I used to work in Brighton just around the corner. Only ever went in there the once though!!!

Late 70's it was my local and we used it a lot. One of the barmen was gay and a few of his friends would be regulars but it was a typical local Brighton mixture of people in there. I moved somewhere else and didn't go in for a few years, but popped in with a girlfriend early 80s. It was like being at a Judas Priest gig, I felt severely under dressed and thankful that I still had my 'tache :wink:

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
It seems so long ago but remember it like it was only yesterday, how good were we? Our Spanish contingent were our very own Galactico's and I gather Barnsey had just come back from his 7 match ban for tripping the Ref, what a legend!
:lolol:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
One of the great days at the Amex. Sunshine, beers, mates and a great game.
We were sat in the West lower back in those days and remember having a great view of that Buckley goal, knowing it was in the moment it left his foot.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Between Poyet and the players they never had the nous nor fight to come back from behind to win a game, as was painfully evidenced in the play off semi.

I maintain this game is quite badly misremembered by a few.

I'm not suggesting we were great, but it was a very close match. Barnes hit the bar and someone else had an effort cleared off the line. We did give it a decent go, but Holloway got the better of Poyet in his planning for that match.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed

I'm not suggesting we were great, but it was a very close match. Barnes hit the bar and someone else had an effort cleared off the line. We did give it a decent go, but Holloway got the better of Poyet in his planning for that match.

I agree up to the point they scored. Extremely fine margins and we probably would’ve won had either of those chances gone in. However, once they scored, we showed no sign of making a comeback which was a trademark of that Poyet team.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
We've obviously got an incredible squad now. But that was a pretty good team wasn't it? Reckon they'd give us a decent match.
Also, Buckley was so, so good. Such a shame he had injury problems and the Poyet curse.

We’ve come far in 7/8 years. I think the team we’ve got now would smash that team on paper.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I agree up to the point they scored. Extremely fine margins and we probably would’ve won had either of those chances gone in. However, once they scored, we showed no sign of making a comeback which was a trademark of that Poyet team.

Fair point - I've lost track of what happened when. And yes, Poyet could be a little stubborn and inflexible in terms of the way we played - this could be a strength at times, and a weakness at other moments.

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne

Yeah and the half time subs. Holloway made some changes and really went for it 2nd half.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Indeed. We were excellent when we went ahead in games, as the stats showed at the time.

Oh 2-0 at halftime and you could basically go home safe in the knowledge the points were in the bag.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
We've obviously got an incredible squad now. But that was a pretty good team wasn't it? Reckon they'd give us a decent match.
Also, Buckley was so, so good. Such a shame he had injury problems and the Poyet curse.

I think you're underestimating how good today's team are and the difference in level between Championship and Premier League. The 12/13 team was a reasonable Championship team and deserved their 4th place finish. The 16/17 team was clearly better (they should've won the Championship), and we've been getting stronger and stronger in subsequent seasons.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here