Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A Brighton Prediction

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
Brighton

Last Season: 20th

In: Jason Dodd (Southampton), Colin Kazim-Richards (Bury), Chris Breach, Gary Elphick, Frederico Turienzo

Out: Nathan Jones, Paul Watson, Dan Harding (Leeds £850,000), Adam Virgo (Celtic - £1,500,000)

Manager: Mark McGhee

One to watch: Leon Knight

My Prediction: 22nd - Relegated

How will we do? – 6/6

When you win £250,000 on the side of a soft drinks can, which becomes the main part of your transfer budget, times are most certainly hard. Brighton might have been the fortunate winners of this windfall, but it might be the only thing that Brighton win all season.

I am not just saying this as a Palace fan, but Brighton just don’t have what it takes to compete at this level. Their transfers look like those carried out by a League One side and to be honest, they have lost quality in their ranks as well with Adam Virgo and Dan Harding moving on.

Brighton will be looking to get a new stadium before they can seriously progress as a club, playing in any division of the League. The Withdean is a godforsaken place and all Seaweed fans know it. There is a decision to be made in October over their new stadium.

Without this, Brighton can never be considered to be a serious Championship club and they will flirt between League One and the Championship until they do, too good for one league but not for another.

It is testament to Mark McGhee that he has managed to attract some new talent, but it is not proven at this level, except Jason Dodd but he is at the end of this career now.

He might be able to form a good understanding with Guy Butters, while Micheal Kuipers in goal has been around for some time, so he could perform well. He will hope to play better on his next visit to Selhurst than his last, which was the 5-0 hammering in 2002.

Leon Knight will be called upon to score goals again and he may struggle, with the lack of any assistance around him. Frederico Turienzo has been brought in but the Argentine is unproven and may take time to settle.

Gary Hart and Mark McCammon are both going to compete for the striking berth alongside Knight, but neither of them have made great impressions at this level. Failure to score goals at this level is what cost them last season and will do so again.

Especially now that Virgo and Harding have gone,Brighton may find that keeping them out and outscoring teams will also be a problem. If so, then this is a combination which is only going to produce one outcome, relegation back to League One.

I know that it looks like this relegation battle is Palace fans dreams come true, with Millwall and Brighton down there, but again you have to look at the teams that come up and they all have better forward lines. But if you don’t progress, then you start falling back and sadly for Brighton, they will be the final victims of the relegation battle this season.

As far as most people down at Palace are concerned, Brighton may be our closest rivals in terms of historical conflict, but otherwise we are poles apart. As the league table will show come the seasons end.

IMO I think you will stay up and we will only grab 4 points of you again.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Just to say that Chris Breach and Gary Elphick are both products of our youth scheme.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Apart from the bit about Hart/MaCammon contending for a strikers place in the first team, a thoroughly accurate piece on us..........................more's the pity

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Well put Croydonbloke, but wrong. I cannot wait for the start of the season, and hopefully mid table mediocrity for once.

I hate to admit it, but I think Palace will go up as Champions.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Croydonbloke said:
Brighton

Leon Knight will be called upon to score goals again and he may struggle, with the lack of any assistance around him. Frederico Turienzo has been brought in but the Argentine is unproven and may take time to settle.

Gary Hart and Mark McCammon are both going to compete for the striking berth alongside Knight, but neither of them have made great impressions at this level. Failure to score goals at this level is what cost them last season and will do so again.

IMO I think you will stay up and we will only grab 4 points of you again.

Stick to talking about your own team, as you clearly know f*** all about ours. McCammon will not play unless the squad is struck by bubonic plague. Hart will not play up front. Knight will very likely play out wide some games too.

You have conviniently forgotten all about Kazim-Richards and Jake Robinson, who will progress significantly this season. Both will score aginst you to avenge this slight!

Also, whilst I'm on, Harding was not quality. He had plenty of potential but scored an average of 6/10 in our fans ratings last season.

Also, agreed, the Withdean is shit, but in a couple of years we'll be at Falmer, whereas you will still be playing out the back of Sainsbury's.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
...and I frankly couldn't give a toss what you think.

We know it will be a long hard season, we will beat teams that we do not expect to and scrape a few hard earned points here and there, we will also win and lose games in the last minute, we did this last season, it is familiar territory. Brighton have no pedigree, we are like a Jack Russell snapping at the heels of larger dogs, I look at Palace as a bit of a Golden Retriever, you are docile and roll over to have your tummy tickled at every opportunity, if you do that to us this season you will get your bollocks severely bitten.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
nice one CB, I agree....relegation! and what with that bald little fucker doing another 5 year stretch I can see you going up in the top 2.

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
Dover said:
Well put Croydonbloke, but wrong. I cannot wait for the start of the season, and hopefully mid table mediocrity for once.

I hate to admit it, but I think Palace will go up as Champions.
Thanks. But it wasn`t my own preediction it was found elsewhere.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
...maybe not but he still took the time to put it on our message board.

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
Re: Re: A Brighton Prediction

hans kraay fan club said:
Stick to talking about your own team, as you clearly know f*** all about ours. McCammon will not play unless the squad is struck by bubonic plague. Hart will not play up front. Knight will very likely play out wide some games too.

You have conviniently forgotten all about Kazim-Richards and Jake Robinson, who will progress significantly this season. Both will score aginst you to avenge this slight!

Also, whilst I'm on, Harding was not quality. He had plenty of potential but scored an average of 6/10 in our fans ratings last season.

Also, agreed, the Withdean is shit, but in a couple of years we'll be at Falmer, whereas you will still be playing out the back of Sainsbury's.
:ohmy:

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
Gully said:
...and I frankly couldn't give a toss what you think.

I look at Palace as a bit of a Golden Retriever, you are docile and roll over to have your tummy tickled at every opportunity, if you do that to us this season you will get your bollocks severely bitten.
No. We`ll lift one leg and piss all over you. :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
...pee all over us, you will be simpering in the corner from having your family jewels chewed...

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Silly question croydonbloke, but do you ever post on Palace chatrooms, you have a very high post count (sorry to mention this subject) for someone who allegedly supports a team other than the Mighty Stripes?

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
Gully said:
Silly question croydonbloke, but do you ever post on Palace chatrooms, you have a very high post count (sorry to mention this subject) for someone who allegedly supports a team other than the Mighty Stripes?
I post on 3 or 4 sites but don`t get the witty remarks elsewhere. And you would miss me if I would be gone!!!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here