Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A Brief, honest viewpoint from my visit today.

Firstly got to thank the nice Scottish bloke in the shop who gave me and my 2 lads tickets to the North Stand today.

Firstly, it is just full of wow factor. What surprised me (pleasantly) is just how close to the pitch you are, even when near the back of a stand.

Although my seat is in the East stand, I sat in Row k (same as I'm in) and I just seemed so close, which is great. I actually felt nearer the pitch here than I did to row A from row R in the old family stand at Withers.

The view from the bottom is great. I guess to be pitch level is good enough for Gus, then it should be fine for us, but the view from the top is just WOW!

But if you are central at the back, mind your head on the huge TV! It has very sharp corners.

Was surprised initially to see all covers on the seats, but after being there 10 mins and touching things like railings, it became apparent everything still had a layer of builders dust. Will this be cleaned by Saturday?

The West stand looks mahoosive - coz it is I suppose!

The corners do look a bit crap, as does the East stand, and I fear it won't look great until Tier 2 is there. The south with the gaps is just wrong.

Personally I thought 2 retail outlets for the whole of the north is not enough. It really needed one in the middle as well as both ends.

Also the loos. Lots of space, but not enough wash basins. Prob 5 times as many urinals - many wont be washing if peeing at half time!

Could not see the north stand supporters bar.

Atmosphere: Whilst in a seat a few lads (no more than 4 or 5) done a quick 'Seagulls' chant and it honestly sounded louder than almost anything at Withers. Gawd knows what it will be like when full - bring it on!

Also, the PA was tested. That was actually deafening!

Food: Actually was starving and the kids only picked so I got to try Chicken and Ham pie, Hot Dog, Thai Green Curry, Fosters.

Fosters: Choose this as was driving. Would have have Krony otherwise. Was excellent. Right temperature, right gas, bit of a head. Slipped down lovely.

Pie: I have had these before so knew what to expect. Superb pastry and best meaty filling you will ever see if a pie. However, mine was a little dry and could have been a lot hotter. Super sturdy wooden forks to eat with.

Hot Dog: A top quality sausage on a mediocre roll. Proper onions and Heinz condiments to accompany. Have to say that this Hot Dog was beaten by the one I had at St Mary's. That's no disgrace to today's one as the SCC one was brilliant. I seem to remember the one there came in a mini bagguette.

Thai Curry: Very substantial and great flavours and spice will be sure to warm you up on a cold winters day. Prob the most filling thing I have eaten at a stadium. However, again it could have been warmer (actual heat rather than spicy heat)

Only other thing of note is it still seems like there is a lot to do. I also got the impression from a steward that it is far from certain that the East Stand will be ready for Saturday.

Also, I read somewhere ages ago that the walls would not be bare block and ducting would be hidden. This is not the case.

Overall though, it is fantastic, and will be a home we can be proud of.

Thanks for reading.

Laughing Gravy

I'm a ****
Jan 8, 2010
In my bungalow
Good read

We all know that the East stand and South corners look pony, but that's the way its gonna be

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
well, the south will look better when the new hospitality boxes are in....

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Good read, thanks. Would agree with most of what you said, couldnt comment on the food because I had just had my tea! Thought there would be more people though, obviously saving the passion for Aug 6th:falmer:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
probably agree with most of that...the wow factor is great...magnificent in fact. yes I would say it has the unfinished product feel about the place, but we have only just handed it over. something really does need to be done with the south stand as it looks like a building site.

our seats are fantastic and the view will be brilliant.

One thing to add: The opening on the bins is too small. You have to get a pie box and a pint in at the perfect angle. I tend to think we might see a lot of litter around the bins on a match day.

Oh, and just as well no bookies, as my lad emptied a bottle of coke over their counter!

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
I'd like to have seen the corners filled in even with some advertising tarpaulins just to make them look less like a wide expanse of concrete. Or if we can't sell the advertising then just a giant seagull on a blue background. I think it would make a real difference to the stadium.

East stand top tier does look a bit weird in its half built state. It will however look stunning when finished. I wonder what the club would do first to expand the stadium - fill the corners or finish the East stand?

I think the North stand will get extra vending outlets / bars as part of phase 2 corner filling. I seem to remember seeing this on the plans.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
And the South West corner does look very odd. Looks like we ran out of cladding at the end of building it! Why the big gap in the centre of the South stand cladding as well? This can't be just for TV cameras?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I'd like to have seen the corners filled in even with some advertising tarpaulins just to make them look less like a wide expanse of concrete. Or if we can't sell the advertising then just a giant seagull on a blue background. I think it would make a real difference to the stadium.

The Corners

southwickseagull

Mar 4, 2004
southwick
Agree with all the positives above. After the last 14 years of homelessness, i didn't want to leave in case somebody were to steal it fabulous place, and as someone said that little rendition of "SEAGULLS" was awesome. With a full stadium it will be deafening.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Guess they have not found sponsors then!

Plan B = more of those soaring seagulls on a blue background as per the seating please. I suppose the away end may get a few flags laid out on them by the opposing supporters?

I am hoping they have. Anything would be better than blankness.

I am thinking a Trompe l'Oeuil would be great and relatively easy to do - maybe a fan scene or a suitable picture of the past.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Kingcole, you say you sat in Row K. Do you get a reasonable view of the south goal (I'm in Row O)? That was my big worry when I chose the North Stand, but most of my mates wanted to go there. That mattered more to me than the view, but I might go for East Upper in future years if the view isn't that good.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Kingcole, you say you sat in Row K. Do you get a reasonable view of the south goal (I'm in Row O)? That was my big worry when I chose the North Stand, but most of my mates wanted to go there. That mattered more to me than the view, but I might go for East Upper in future years if the view isn't that good.

Don't you go worryin' yourself any more chook. I think you'll find that your view of the entire pitch will be MAGNIFICENT. :wink:

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
ps Here's the view from my seat in block D row J. Love it.

imag0100ss.jpg

:clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here