Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A book for the Beach ?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
I've read it too. Very good. Highly recommended. I think it was nominated for the booker prize.

Gangsta

Jul 6, 2003
Withdean
Taking with me to Lisbon...

2004 Playfair cricket annual
Origin of the Species
The Day of the Jackel

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
David Seaman's autobiography is suprisingly good, and all of Tony Hawks' are good light reads. Cloughie's earlier autobiography (before walking on water) is the better read, IMHO, if you can get hold of it

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Jimmy White- Behind the White Ball i think its called.

There are some tales in there, excpecially his days out with Higgins !

I enjoyed it.

Last edited:

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Richie Morris said:
I read this and quite liked it. Very cleverly written and I loved the bit where the boy tells of the Math expert who got ridiculed for her comments abouta game show but then proved her theory right. That really got me thinking.

I got to the bit about metaphor being a metaphor and decided not too think past that.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Jaws

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
David Seamans book was ok, a fairly standard footballer biography. I still can't get over the fact that when he gives autographs, he signs them "Safe Hands" though - up himself, or what ?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Whatever you do, if you're looking at sporting autobiographies, do not buy George Best's Scoring At Half Time.

It's just one long anthology of cliches and "good old days", rose tinted throwbacks, liberally scattered with the sort of anecdotes even the cheapest of after dinner speakers would be too embarrassed to use.

Every single tired old football story is in there, inevitably attributed to either himself or one of former playing buddies.

Manager: "I'm pulling you off at half time son". Player: "What? At my old club, we only got oranges!" is just one lame example, but variations appear on every other page.

Heard it all before- do not touch with a bargepole.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Thanks Edna, I'll avoid that then. I suppose the age-old "Best-laying-on-a-bed-amongst-piles-of-money-and-Miss-World-and-room-service-bloke-says-George-where-did-it-all-go-wrong ?" story is in there then. He can't seem to go a week without recalling that old chestnut.
:yawn:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Easy 10 said:
Thanks Edna, I'll avoid that then. I suppose the age-old "Best-laying-on-a-bed-amongst-piles-of-money-and-Miss-World-and-room-service-bloke-says-George-where-did-it-all-go-wrong ?" story is in there then. He can't seem to go a week without recalling that old chestnut.
:yawn:

:yawn: Agreed however the first time i heard it, it was amusing

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Easy, a book (football related) worth considering is called "Football against the Enemy" by an a bloke called Simon Kuper

It won a sports book of the year award when it was published (mid 90s), and as the front blurb states "If you like football read it. If you don't like football read it" THE TIMES

Basically, the author travels around the world and looks at how football has affected the culture of a particular country, and how football works in weird and wonderful ways!! Brilliant chapters about the Dutch - Germany rivalry, the dangers of supporting an East German team (the fan he interviews is basically trailed by the secret police!!), how football worked in the corrupt USSR, and loads of other stuff

Great read, but easy reading also, not too heavy, just very interesting......

bathseagull

Apr 18, 2004
St. Anmore
just read very good book called 'the football business' by david conn
good read with lots of chapters about different football stories - hillsborough, premier league breakaway, sky tv, rise of certain clubs.
very interesting, not too heavy, recommended

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I read Fred and Rose whilst around the pool in Orlando.

It's amazing what you can do with some parcel tape and a straw

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here