Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A BIT of perspective...

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
I would of been, as would most people, happy with a total of 4 points from this run of games , so far 3 from 3 games puts us bang on target ( obviously not overjoyed at the severity of the 2 defeats though)

Aristotle

Mar 18, 2008
Edinburgh
Also worth remembering that the longest run that Gus has had with the team without a match is, what? Two or three days? No wonder that he hasn't been able to make huge improvements (not that he's had enough time anyway). He must be praying to get the Exeter game over with so he can have a free week to work on things.

Acropolis Seagull

Nov 16, 2009
4 games in 9 days how much time has the new management team really had to work on areas that need improving. Yes the Southampton performance was encouraging but that had a cup game feel to it somehow.
This season will be a struggle and although we would all like to see improved performances which I believe we will over time staying up is the #1 priority and to then hopefully move onwards and eventually upwards from there at the start of next season.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Well, obviously losing matches is never a good thing but if we had beaten Leeds and drawn last night we would only have been papering over the defensive cracks. Now Gus has a full and frank assessment of his defence from which he can now base his work on.

As for a sports psychologist, we might just as well get Eileen Drewery in as well.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

Indeed, I suppose it depends on whether you believe the players we have either have the ability to get us up the league or not. I actually do- we have seen all the players play a hell of a lot better than they have been as individuals. And thus I don't think winning would paper over the cracks, I think if we do manage to put together a run things would pick up quickly.

But I am an eternally optomistic Brighton and Hove Albion fan!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have said for ages that the answer to our defensive problems is a 34 year old or thereabouts languishing in Pompey Reserves with no prospect of a first team recall Linvoy Primus, a rough tough no nonsense experienced defender on loan either for a month to allow the coaches to work with what we have or until the end of season if possible.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I don't see Poyet's tenure really starting until he has a full solid week of training to get all (or a fair whack) of his ideas and plans across. At present, a lot of training is taken up preparing for the next game, rather than being able to work on a whole raft of new stuff.

That isn't going to happen for a couple of weeks yet, and if we draw against Rushden & Diamonds, another week further on from that.

Once that is out of the way, I'd hope to see us motor on. Until then, much as I really don't want to see it, I can only see the same mediocrity for the next three or four matches.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I have said for ages that the answer to our defensive problems is a 34 year old or thereabouts languishing in Pompey Reserves with no prospect of a first team recall Linvoy Primus, a rough tough no nonsense experienced defender on loan either for a month to allow the coaches to work with what we have or until the end of season if possible.

Primo idea! :thumbsup:

Bit of a cult figure for Pompey, so might be tough to get him (especially dropping down 2 leagues).

Just what we need nonetheless!

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I think we have three point more from this run of four games than we expected. Yes there are issues but Gus has had NO time to address them yet.

I am not despondent about these results (I did not trail up to Norwich to see that effort - so can undertand why some people are) but we do need some more players and time on the training ground.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
I am not making excuses for the players, but it is difficult for both player and manager when they are a new partnership and have had to play Sunday, Wednesday, Saturday and then Tuesday. They then have 3 days before the 2nd round of the FA Cup. Obviously inbetween all of this they are trying to enrol new ideas and change things.

Before this run in I guessed at 1 win, 1 draw and 2 defeats, so I might not be too far off.

Lets hope we can win Saturday and get a result, even a draw against Charlton. :thumbsup:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I think we have three point more from this run of four games than we expected. Yes there are issues but Gus has had NO time to address them yet.

I am not despondent about these results (I did not trail up to Norwich to see that effort - so can undertand why some people are) but we do need some more players and time on the training ground.

Agreed. There was a thread (can't be arsed to find it) before this run of 4 (Saints, Leeds, Norwich, Charlton) started asking how many points people expected from them. I put 0, so I'm +3 and happy (ish) right now.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The stats suggest that fitness and stamina is also a problem.

One-quarter of the goals we've conceded have been in the last 5 mins plus injury time of each half. The real proportion should be about 15%. That's a goal every other match conceded late in each half.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
Indeed, I suppose it depends on whether you believe the players we have either have the ability to get us up the league or not. I actually do- we have seen all the players play a hell of a lot better than they have been as individuals. And thus I don't think winning would paper over the cracks, I think if we do manage to put together a run things would pick up quickly.

But I am an eternally optomistic Brighton and Hove Albion fan!

Nothing wrong with optimism as it is better than the doom & gloom merchants which make up a large chunk of NSC...Then again you get the stupidly over-optimistic which make up another sizeable bulk of NSC.

I do believe that we have the players to progress us up the league but what I think has been lacking is quality training. Elphick has come in for some stick this season but I remember when he came into the scene and showed so much potential...Even this season I thought that the loss of form could be down the coaching and the blame for that lays at the feet of the previous managerial set-up. Now Poyet and Taricco are in hopefully we will see an improvement of his game...Along with others!!

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

murciagull

Nov 27, 2006
Murcia
Agree with pretty much all of the above, plus the fact other results have gone our way. I would have taken, at the beginning of Nov, to still be out the relegation zone and in the third round of the FA cup.

Both of these are a distinct possibility.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here