A BIT of perspective...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Since Poyet came in:

Southampton - GOOD win.
Wycombe - Comfortable win.
Leeds - An expected result, if we're being realistic.
Norwich - A disappointment.

So, overall, not bad really, is it? Mid table form.

I think the reason for the doom and gloom is because we won our first two with Gus, everyone thought "right that's it, off to the play offs we go". NOW Gus is seeing the reasons why we are hovering around the relegation spots.

So chins up, Kuips and Jimmy Mac will be back soon and Gus will continue his good work with the squad. Taricco will get the defence sorted one way or another.

The above will all STILL be true even if we lose to Charlton on Tues.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
1 win in 3 in the league would send us down but I take your point.

It's too early to even question Poyet on anything , it's just clear that the players we have are not as good as we like to think and he has a major job sorting this shower out

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Leeds and Norwich were expected defeats for sure, but I'm concerned that they were both WHUPPINGS. We've not even competed.
Gus will certainly know by January what we need and where.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Im not concerned, i was always suprised when we sacked slade, i though Bloom would of waited until after these four games before sacking him brining someone new in when they had a bit of an easier run.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Another positive, we've now gone 4 games without getting a man sent off. That may sound glib, but I think it is a sign of increased discipline, which can only be seen as a good thing.

Of course we have a tolerant ref to thank for not sending Cox off last night, by all accounts, but still, 4 games without a red card is, I believe, a record for us this season.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Another positive, we've now gone 4 games without getting a man sent off. That may sound glib, but I think it is a sign of increased discipline, which can only be seen as a good thing.

Of course we have a tolerant ref to thank for not sending Cox off last night, by all accounts, but still, 4 games without a red card is, I believe, a record for us this season.

Agreed.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked

yet Murray is booked and suspended. Dickinson was lucky not to get sent off too.

We try to improve our discipline and end up with another player suspended and in put 10 players in a 21 man brawl

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm quite happy that Murray is suspended for the Rushden game, not a league game, aren't you?

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Since Poyet came in:

Southampton - GOOD win.

I think the reason for the doom and gloom is because we won our first two with Gus, everyone thought "right that's it, off to the play offs we go". NOW Gus is seeing the reasons why we are hovering around the relegation spots.

So chins up, Kuips and Jimmy Mac will be back soon and Gus will continue his good work with the squad. Taricco will get the defence sorted one way or another.

Exactly. We have had a rough time of it these last two seasons, but like all clubs there are good times and there are bad times, but we have had even worse times.

Your right Gus is probably seeing the real reasons why we are hovering. I knew Southampton was too good to be true.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I'm quite happy that Murray is suspended for the Rushden game, not a league game, aren't you?

yes, I said he may try and get booked on purpose to miss the Rushden game. BUT it still is a blot on the disciplinary record, one which will end in a big fine from the bods at the FA.

Murrays booking was a ridiculous sliding challenge on a defender clearing the ball on the touchline by his penalty box.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Since Poyet came in:

Southampton - GOOD win.

Point taken, but another reality is having shipped 35 goals in 18 matches. It's not really about the quality of the teams we are playing against, more a fundamental defensive issue that will send us down if not resolved.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Point taken, but another reality is having shipped 35 goals in 18 matches. It's not really about the quality of the teams we are playing against, more a fundamental defensive issue that will send us down if not resolved.

Agreed. I believe Taricco has the quality to resolve it, one way or another.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
For my money Gus' work starts now in earnest. I for one believe in these 'new manager syndrome' and often a good run following a managerial appointment just papers over the cracks in the short term. However good the win and performance against Southampton was I think the appointment of Poyet obviously had an effect.

Now we have taken 2 heavy losses in a row it has well and truly stamped out any 'honeymoon period' that had developed...And I think that is a good thing. Gus now has the first real test as a manager as with 2 big defeats the confidence of the squad would have been hit hard and we now have a potential banana-skin awaiting us on Saturday...This also produces the first little bit of pressure, nothing hideous of course, but there all the same.

So as I said, the real work starts now.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
For my money Gus' work starts now in earnest. I for one believe in these 'new manager syndrome' and often a good run following a managerial appointment just papers over the cracks in the short term. However good the win and performance against Southampton was I think the appointment of Poyet obviously had an effect.

Now we have taken 2 heavy losses in a row it has well and truly stamped out any 'honeymoon period' that had developed...And I think that is a good thing. Gus now has the first real test as a manager as with 2 big defeats the confidence of the squad would have been hit hard and we now have a potential banana-skin awaiting us on Saturday...This also produces the first little bit of pressure, nothing hideous of course, but there all the same.

So as I said, the real work starts now.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

Disagree with it being a good thing! The players seem to have such a losing mentality I was hoping we were going to turn that around on the wave of Gus's euphoria. Really wish we'd waited till after these four matches before getting rid of Slade. We need a sports psychologist IN!

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
Disagree with it being a good thing! The players seem to have such a losing mentality I was hoping we were going to turn that around on the wave of Gus's euphoria. Really wish we'd waited till after these four matches before getting rid of Slade. We need a sports psychologist IN!

Well, obviously losing matches is never a good thing but if we had beaten Leeds and drawn last night we would only have been papering over the defensive cracks. Now Gus has a full and frank assessment of his defence from which he can now base his work on.

As for a sports psychologist, we might just as well get Eileen Drewery in as well.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

It's far too easy to put up with mediocrity using the line "it's been far, far worse", but we do still have to be realistic. How many mid-table teams are going to get three points out of Leeds (home or away), Norwich (away) and Southampton (away)? OK, so the victory was arguably the easiest fixture, but still...

Let's survive this season. If we finish mid-table after the start we've had, it will bode very well indeed for next season. Anything less than that could, I suppose, be worth a grumble, but as long as we stay up I'll be happy.

I don't want to settle for crap, and I want success as much as the next chap, but we are a medium-sized club, and the third tier is our level. When we play above it, we are punching above our weight; when we play below it, it's bloody awful. Norwich, the Scum and Leeds are all bigger sides than us (and I can't imagine that ever changing), the likes of Wycombe are smaller. It's when we lose against that last kind of club we should be moaning.

Let's see what the new boy manages for the rest of the season before the inquest starts, eh?

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
It's far too easy to put up with mediocrity using the line "it's been far, far worse", but we do still have to be realistic. How many mid-table teams are going to get three points out of Leeds (home or away), Norwich (away) and Southampton (away)? OK, so the victory was arguably the easiest fixture, but still...

Let's survive this season. If we finish mid-table after the start we've had, it will bode very well indeed for next season. Anything less than that could, I suppose, be worth a grumble, but as long as we stay up I'll be happy.

I don't want to settle for crap, and I want success as much as the next chap, but we are a medium-sized club, and the third tier is our level. When we play above it, we are punching above our weight; when we play below it, it's bloody awful. Norwich, the Scum and Leeds are all bigger sides than us (and I can't imagine that ever changing), the likes of Wycombe are smaller. It's when we lose against that last kind of club we should be moaning.

Let's see what the new boy manages for the rest of the season before the inquest starts, eh?

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Well said that man. I'd like to think that we have the potential to be a 2nd tier club, but when you look at the facts and reality of our current situation at Withdean...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Once we've been at Falmer a couple of years, I think then the calls for more AMBITION (if we are still mucking around in League One) will be justified.

Note to a lot of people on here - WE HAVE NO DIVINE RIGHT TO CHAMPIONSHIP FOOTBALL.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Murrays booking was a ridiculous sliding challenge on a defender clearing the ball on the touchline by his penalty box.

I had hoped that his booking would have been for diving thus a win win situation either a booking and he is suspended against Rushden or a penalty for us. At least we got one of the two. If Dickenson and Davies cant produce the goods against R & D we know where the capabilities lie for the rest of the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here