Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

90/91 v 11/12 Discuss?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Me too, we were breathtakingly crap for most of it. Although in the cup matches against Liverpool the team showed that they could play when they wanted to.

Possibly had the most frustrating midfield of any Brighton team ever, you were never sure if Codner, Walker, Wilkins and Barham were going to turn up and destroy the opposition or just phone in an appearance.

Millwall in the play off semi, you'd have thought Codner had taken something. Hang on a tick ..........

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
OUR best ever HALF season recently was 2003/2004 and how many of that SQUAD would get in this seasons TEAM ?

I agree the team that finished that season was the best side I've ever seen behind the current one. I got shot down in flames when I posted they were the best team Brighton have had in 20 years at the beginning of this year. Cullip, Blackwell & Ingimarsson were quality at the back. You had Rodger, Sidwell, Carpenter & Brooker in midfield with the quality of Zamora up front. We finished in playoff form but were still relegated due to 10 defeats in a row under Hinshelwood.

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
90/91 was the 1st season i started watching Brighton in the north stand. Great memories.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I agree the team that finished that season was the best side I've ever seen behind the current one. I got shot down in flames when I posted they were the best team Brighton have had in 20 years at the beginning of this year. Cullip, Blackwell & Ingimarsson were quality at the back. You had Rodger, Sidwell, Carpenter & Brooker in midfield with the quality of Zamora up front. We finished in playoff form but were still relegated due to 10 defeats in a row under Hinshelwood.

I meant 2003/4 and Big Dave Beasant in goal too, shame we didn't kick off with that team

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
As I posted in a thread yesterday, this team really reminds me of the one that got promoted in 77 and nearly did in 78 - there's that bit of flair and the sense of a really good team pulling together. I never had that in 90/91, we seemed to fluke our way through that season.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks

Blackwell and Ingimarsson were different class, both would get in our current squad. From a midfield perspective Sidwell and Carpenter would get in and obviously Bobby upfront so on reflection the 2002-03 squad was indeed strong. Having said that the current squad player for player is stronger and in Bridcutt, Noone, Dunk and CMS you have 4 potential Premiership players as opposed to just Bobby Z.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Possibly Buckley as well.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
This team certainly plays far more exciting & entertaining football than the 90/91 side. More so than any team we've had since the great Mullery side of the late 70s.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Ah, this is bringing back memories. Though we were often inferior that was some season. That final game against Ipswich, and the two playoffs against Millwall. Not sure there was ever a better sequence of games than those three. Shame about Notts County really.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Me too, we were breathtakingly crap for most of it. Although in the cup matches against Liverpool the team showed that they could play when they wanted to.

Possibly had the most frustrating midfield of any Brighton team ever, you were never sure if Codner, Walker, Wilkins and Barham were going to turn up and destroy the opposition or just phone in an appearance.

Millwall in the play off semi, you'd have thought Codner had taken something. Hang on a tick ..........
It was quite easy to work out which Codnor was playing:-
'Is there a TV gantry in the East?, Yes, we'll smash it'.

The second half demolition of Millwall is one of my outstanding Albion memories.
Along with both Liverpool games.

I also remember an evening match at Pompey when Bob refused to move out of the centre circle!

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
This

As long as I live and having saw most of the matches that season I will never know how we got to the play off final with that team and even worse how we outplayed Notts County and lost at Wembley

And this

Mark Barham was probably one of the worst players ive ever seen for Brighton. Codner was ok when he could be bothered...about one in every ten games and Wilkins had a decent left foot....he couldn't pass, head or tackle. Walker was ok be he was passed his best.

I liked Paul McCarthy and Crumps...they gave their all but i thought Chapman was a liability as could Digweed be at times.

But up front was different gravy...both strikers were superb and it wasn't a surprise when they were sold.

It was a strange season...BHA were winning games at home where they were being totally outplayed and me and me mate often walked away at the end of a game shaking our heads in amaizement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here