Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

9/11. Where were you.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
I was at school when it happened, but when I was coming back from School to pick my bike up from my friend's house, when we got back to her place. Her sister opened the front door and shouted "You wouldn't believed what has happened." So we ran through the hallway and saw it on the news, it was truely horrific something out of a movie but it truely wasn't.

I'll never forget that day. :(

33057 Seagull

May 22, 2004
Over the border in Southwick
I had just got back from the bank having drawn out some US dollars as was travelling to Florida the following day when the news came through. Needless to say we did not travel & we ended up going to Mansfield for the week instead.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Croydonbloke said:
Where has my post gone?? I posted on here and it appears to have dissapeared. Explanation please.

Your post was disrespectful and against the tone of discussion here. Moderating decisions will not be entered into, in either this thread or any other. If you wish to discuss it further, please PM me.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I first heard about it listening to Talk Sport while driving to Haywards Heath to pick up school kids. The radio stayed on until I got home a few hours later. That was the quietist the kids have ever been. Phoned the wife to see if she had heard anything. She was watching it unfold on the tv. What she told me was nowhere near as horrific as it was.

:down: :down:

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I was at School playing Hockey, I got hacked down and landed on my knees (on the gritty playground), and had to go to the First Aid room, and saw it unfold on the Telly while I got treated.

Left a scar on both of my knees, but nothing compared to the scar left on the world by the terrorists.

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
Bozza said:
Your post was disrespectful and against the tone of discussion here. Moderating decisions will not be entered into, in either this thread or any other. If you wish to discuss it further, please PM me.
Done.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I was driving a van at the time for a living, and was on my way out of London and over to Newbury on my rounds, just listening to TalkSport. They of course came up with the breaking news, that an aircraft had struck one of the towers of the WTC. Like a couple of others who have mentioned on here, the initial speculation was that it had been some kind of light aircraft. It wasn't thought of as *that* big a deal, and they initially carried on with the usual sports chat. That then changed as soon as everyone saw the second plane hit. I listened with an increasing sense of disbelief as further reports came in about a plane hitting the Pentagon, and other plane going down in Pennysylvania - it just sounded like Armageddon was breaking out. I stayed on TalkSport. All commercial breaks were cancelled, and I think it was Mike Parry and Adrian Durham who stayed on for the entire afternoon focussing on the events as they unfolded. It was just surreal. I did my last couple of drops and headed home, got in and sat in front of the TV. I'd listened to it being described all day, but when I actually saw the pictures for the first time, my blood ran cold. I can still barely believe it now when they show the pictures. Its so horribly mesmerising.

I can't even begin to comprehend what it must have been like to be there.

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
I was out of touch working with phone off until about 2pm - when I switched it on it was my office manager called and told me a plane had gone into a New York skyscraper. I was struggling to take in what she was saying, asking her was it a Cessna - and then she screamed, saying that another plane had crashed into the other block. I spent a few minutes listening to a car radio - then had to get a train to London which was so weird because it was almost empty and nobody who was on board
knew about this seismic event. The full impact didn't hit until getting home after the Southampton match that evening and watching TV into the early hours.
RIP Rob: scorer of one of the finest volleys you're ever likely to see in any standard of football.

Loft23

Dec 11, 2004
Burgess Hill
I was at school and didn't find out what had happened until I got back home and was told about it. I didn't think it was that serious until I watched the news when I got in and realised just how many innocent people had lost their lives.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Listening to the radio when they announced a plane had hit one of the towers, believed to be a accident at the time. Put Sky News on and then the other one hit.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I had the week off work as I was house sitting for my sister. Headed home as I had a physio apointment in the afternoon. Just as I walked in the front door, my father screamed at me to get in the lounge. Looked at the TV just as the second plane hit. First thing I said to Dad is what are you watching, then I saw the CNN Live logo, and my heart skipped a beat.

Then went to the PC to see what was on there and MSN'd a friend of mine to turn his TV on (as he was off as well). He asked what channel, and I replied it doesn't matter. The reply in about the seconds was a solitary expletive. When the first tower collapsed I was agasp. The second tower collapsed just as I arrived at the physio (Dad wouldn't let me skip my appointment for the most intersting bit of news in my life - that I can remember).

Never ever forget that.

RIP everyone that lost theie life.

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
I was in spain at the time, it was our last day so had already packed and was sitting in the bar in the afternoon when i saw what had happened on sky news.

SeagullTim

Boomer Sooner
Apr 22, 2006
Brighton
I was in year 4 and my mum told me when she picked me up from school. Didn't really understand much but my mum was very upset.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here