Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

9/11. Where were you.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
How the world has changed since 9/11, however where were on that fatefull morning in 2001,when you heard/saw the pictures of the attack. For me just entering the staff canteen.

Sitting in bed watching it unfold live on the TV after the i heard about the first plane on the World Service

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
In the office watching it unfold over the internet.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
In my Head Office, near Burnley. Very strange day, felt weird not being in London.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I was working in Islington in a building that was due to be knocked down to make way for the Emirates Stadium. The whole afternoon was spent in disbelief. The night spent trying to call friends in the US and then the next morning sitting on the train seeing every face totally asahen and silent.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Working in the Netherlands, had returned the day before from a month travelling in South America, popped into work to have a chat with my boss. We were sat in the office when the news came over the radio about the first plane crashing into the twin towers, the rest of the day was spent in front of the TV wondering what was causing this to happen and where it might end.

D

Deleted member 2719

In a customers garage he had a tV in reception - instead of getting an order from him we just stood there transfixed watching it happen,unbelievable.
So unbelievable i forgot i was working and walked out of the garage without an order!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I was at college.

First I knew of it was when someone showed up late to one of the classes as they'd been watching it on TV. It wasn't until I got home that I saw all the pictures on the news and realised just how serious things were.

A sad day.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
i was reading NSC and found out about it on here whilst sat at work. spent the rest of the dat trying to get onto the news websites all of which were down because the amount of people trying to get on them.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
At work - my wife called to say what had happened. Unbelievable.

Leter that evening, after we had played Southampton in the Worthington Cup, we stopped on the way home to get a Chinese and it started to sink in as we watched the pictures in the take-away.

Awful, awful day

RIP Robert Eaton and all those who lost their lives

In the back room of the Bar Mariuccia in Montalcino, Italy, the town I had lived in during the early 1970s. It fell upon me to try to explain to a half a dozen American tourists (two of them from New York) what the Breaking News story on Italian TV was all about. I was the only person in the place who could speak both Italian and English, and the Italian TV news story was, of course, telling us that nobody understood what the hell was going on. General hysteria all round.

Meanwhile, I was having considerable concerns about the middle young person in the Bracknell clan (the Teaboy) and his girlfriend, who were on holiday in South Manhattan, intending to do all the usual touristy things, like travelling to the top of very high buildings.

It eventually turned out - although it took about 36 hours before we heard anything from Dan and Paula - that the young people in South Manhattan had, of course, slept through most of the incident that was unfolding less than half a mile away. Emerging from their bed in mid morning, Dan looked out of the window at the world outside and thought something along the lines of "It's a bit dusty round here. Oh well, back to bed".

Two days later, Roz and I found ourselves moving on from Montalcino to Bologna, where we had booked a room in the spookily named Hotel Due Torri.

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
On some hellish summer job after my first year at Uni. Didn't finish work till 10pm, so got home at 10:30pm to see images of people jumping out of windows 40 floors up. Nice one BBC. :(

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I was sitting in on a group conference call to 8 colleagues in 5WTC. The phone line went dead and we tried calling them back a few times without success. On returning to our floor the tv showed the absolute horror of what was happening. They were all safely evacuated and fine in the end.

As I worked in HR then - I spent the rest of the day producing reports from swipe card barriers and machines in New York to ascertain if all our people were safe. It was a dreadul dreadful day. I was trying to find friends on the phone without success and trying to do my job.

Our company was exceptionally lucky compared to a few friends companies who were so horribly horribly affected. Its unfair and unjust and still makes me sad beyond belief. My friends in New York were all safe and sound - but it took days to hear from them.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
I was packing to go on holiday in Europe that evening. We flew out at 23:00 on September 11th. A little bit unnerving but surprisingly few delays at the airport all things considered.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here