Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

9/11 - Question

robbied69

Sep 20, 2005
North London
Did Al-Qaeda know that if they hit the twin towers with planes that they would come down? or was it an unexpected bonus (apologies for the poor choice of words) for them?

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
If you cut a skyscraper in half with an aeroplane chances are its gonna colapse or the fire will burn it up !!

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
desprateseagull said:
i would have thought the statue of liberty would have been a higher profile target, with easier (more open) access..?

though i guess WTC would have been visible from miles away.

I think the WTC probably had a good few more people in it.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
the feeling is that they didnt know they were going to collapse.The brackets that held up the beams became structurally unsound after the fires from the aiviation fuuel melted the ones above the 92nd floor.

There have been lots of programs on this on Discovery etc

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its no secret that the towers were specifically designed to withstand the impact of a jet airliner. I don't believe the terrorists would have had any way of knowing it would set about the chain of events that would lead ultimately to their complete collapse. The death and destruction caused by that initial crash plane crash, and then the second one witnessed live in front of the watching world on such a high-profile target, was what they probably intended.
The fact that the towers then fell was, as robbie suggested and for want of a better phrase, probably a "bonus" for the terrorists.

Last edited:

Statue of Liberty is not that tall and as such a much harder target to hit, especially in a Boeing, plus if your coming from the land side of NY you would have to get pass those frigging towers.

Basically the Towers were for the terrorist a good target.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The towers were the target because they represent western capitalism, you know, money, trade etc., and al-qaeda hate that.

Last edited:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Fair question, one we will sadly never know the answer to, my guess is that they would probably have pulled them down but I am sure there are a few structural engineers on NSC who can probably give a professional opinion.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
I'm pretty sure that they showed one of those Bin Laden videos on Al Jazeera with him saying that they only expected to destroy the floors above the impact not the whole building.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Superphil said:
The towers were the target because they represent western capitalism, you know, money, trade etc., and al-qaeda hate that.

Thats not true.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
DÃnN¥ §ëÃGuLL© said:
What would have happened if they hadn't collapsed? Would they have demolished the towers anyway?

Surely there's no crane in the world that could take an aeroplane out of a massive skyscraper :eek:

Doubt there was much wreakage to salvage. Bigger problem would have been how to put the fire out.

cheeseroll

Jul 5, 2003
Fragrant Harbour
DÃnN¥ §ëÃGuLL© said:
What would have happened if they hadn't collapsed? Would they have demolished the towers anyway?

Surely there's no crane in the world that could take an aeroplane out of a massive skyscraper :eek:

Surely they would have levelled the last wrecked floor and assembled a crane and finished off as required.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
i would assume that any building that gets hit by a plane automatically becomes unstable. if so, then it would have to be pulled down.same as if your car gets hit. it might look ok from the outside but on the inside it could be a write off

JAMC

Jul 5, 2003
If I remember rightly..
They set off a bomb years back in one of the towers underground car parks. It made a right mess by collapsing some off the carpark floors. They got the fuckers who did it and they are doing porridge now. And yes, they were connected to Bin bag Laden.
On another note..
I'm glad that **** Mcghee has gone!! Cock munching wanker!!

Sorry for the language!!
:angry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here