Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

9/11 phone calls.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Anyone watch this on Channel 4? I still can't watch the footage from 9/11 without being affected. :down:

Absolutely horrible to watch, and some of those tapes were horrid to hear. I wouldn't want to keep that sort of thing though, it would make me depressed EVERY time I heard it.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Brilliantly made programme, well worth watching. Channel 4 is superb for this type of programme, absolutely superb. Their week of 9/11 programmes is a brilliant tribute, and though it's horrible to watch, I am so enthralled by the events of that day, it's a morbid fascination.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Didn't watch that show, but there's another on C4 in the next few days (possibly tomorrow) which is entirely new footage. The advert for that hits a spot. It's simply from a handheld camera, just showing complete dust, before a man appears, head to toe in soot saying the top floor collapsed.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Didn't watch that show, but there's another on C4 in the next few days (possibly tomorrow) which is entirely new footage. The advert for that hits a spot. It's simply from a handheld camera, just showing complete dust, before a man appears, head to toe in soot saying the top floor collapsed.

Channel 4 Monday 21:00
102 minutes that changed America: A seamless historical record of the September 11 attacks on the World Trade Center, from the perspective of the people of New York, including never-before-seen footage.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Yep, 102 minutes that changed America. I thought I'd seen that before, but maybe it's a new edition of the programme. I have alot of the documentaries on DVD, but that's not one of them, so maybe not.

I remember the events, as they unfolded, only too well. What they couldn't show on the television, I can well imagine.

As has been said - too horrific, and to also know that someone I used to talk with in the matchday chatroom every week - 'Rob-in-NY' with the same solid patriotism for his football club from across the continent, as me was killed in that -it makes it too horrible to want to re-live.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Just watched United 93 on TV. It's particularly poignant how, even though we all know only too well the terrible outcome, I still found myself watching it and crossing my fingers for a happy ending :nono:

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Without dirgressing from the tragidy which is 911 and from that which touch all our hearts. There is more to it than meets the eye.

RIP all those who died.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
One of the things New Yorkers find most shameful is the fact that eight years after the event there is still no proper permanent memorial to honour the people who were killed in the twin towers attack. It has now finally been promised for September 2011 to coincide with the 10th anniversary, not exactly New York’s finest hour.

siclean

ex hollingbury
Apr 14, 2009
Anyone watch this on Channel 4? I still can't watch the footage from 9/11 without being affected. :down:

Absolutely horrible to watch, and some of those tapes were horrid to hear. I wouldn't want to keep that sort of thing though, it would make me depressed EVERY time I heard it.

Theres another 9/11 thing on CH4 tonight, which looks even more harrowing to watch

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Just watched United 93 on TV. It's particularly poignant how, even though we all know only too well the terrible outcome, I still found myself watching it and crossing my fingers for a happy ending :nono:

Yep truly horrible. It does make you realise how awful it must have been to be on one of those planes. Many minutes of horror before you die.

However my own view is that this flight was shot down, but they just don't want to say that.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Yep, 102 minutes that changed America. I thought I'd seen that before, but maybe it's a new edition of the programme. I have alot of the documentaries on DVD, but that's not one of them, so maybe not.

I watched on anytime back in June/July probably now available on non pay tv.

Its still shocking seeing the reaction of people when the second plane hits and seeing all those firemen going into the buildings when you know many would not be coming out again

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Still managed to get to Withdean that evening and watch the Southampton game. Seems odd now.

It was a surreal experience. I remember being in the Caxton Arms before the game and the footage was on a loop on their big screen.

Walking to the game everyone was talking in hushed overtones and in utter shock.

I remember how great the sunset was that evening too, and that of course the football didn't matter at all.

Anders Svennson ran the game and scored two great goals.

When I'm idley thinking about Withdean the vision is often of that night for some reason.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here