Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

8O,tomorrow The Queen.Have to rather

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Brovian said:
If the only arguement for keeping the monarchy is because it adds color for tourists to 'Theme Park GB' then we Republicans have already won.

No you haven't, or we would already be living in a republic, wouldn't we? :salute:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
555kaz said:
Ok but someone please answer this question, what is the point of having a PM and a President? Especially as the pres would not be making decsions, as HRH doesn't. We would have a popularity contest every 4 years wasting probably more money, and in theory the Pres would have to be impartial to all parties.

I'll answer that question for you, Kaz.

There isn't any point.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
555kaz said:
Ok but someone please answer this question, what is the point of having a PM and a President? Especially as the pres would not be making decsions, as HRH doesn't. We would have a popularity contest every 4 years wasting probably more money, and in theory the Pres would have to be impartial to all parties.
The American model (which is what most people think of when they think of Britain having a President) isn't the only one. Quite a few countries have a PM to handle the day-to-day running of the country and a President who as Head of State is above the mundane political scene. This is useful for 'checks and balances' and could be used to make sure that, unlike today, you couldn't get an overweening PM.

Constitutionally it need not be TOO different from today, it's just that an elected president could be given more powers - and could use them which is more than the monarch would ever do. On an emotive level we'd be spared all the BOLLOCKS that surrounds the Royaal Family for year after year, decade after decade. Also I despise Charles and I deeply resent the fact that he will become 'my' King and there is nothing I can do about it.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Commander said:
No you haven't, or we would already be living in a republic, wouldn't we? :salute:
My good friend loony on the 'abdication' thread has said that the queen enjoys 60% support. I hope he's right. 20 years ago that would have been about 90%, 50 years ago it would have been all but 100%. We've won the argument, it's just a matter of waiting for the intelllectual slowcoaches to catch up.

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
Commander said:
I'll answer that question for you, Kaz.

There isn't any point.

Thank you very much, thats exactly what I thought.

Brovian said:
I despise Charles and I deeply resent the fact that he will become 'my' King and there is nothing I can do about it.

I deeply resent Tony being my PM, but there's nothing I can do about that, yes I can vote, and vote I do, but it doesn't get me anywhere. Also, why would we want 2 people in power from the same party? Can you imagine Tony and Gordon

TB - Right I'm doing this
GB - No you're not
TB - Yes I am etc etc

Richard Whiteley

Sep 24, 2003
So the tourists would stop coming if we didn't have a queen

erm, how many tourists get to see the queen then eh?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not many. But they like looking at the big shiny helmets on her guards.

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
The history of this country and it's monarchy are popular the world over, which is why so many people come to see the palaces, castles, museums etc. If we were to have a Johnny Normal as president touring the world representing us there is a great chance that he or she would make us a laughing stock. Who was the last American president you could admire, or that millions of foreign tourists would fly 1000's of miles just to get the slightest chance of a possible glimpse of?

Last edited:

Richard Whiteley

Sep 24, 2003
555kaz said:
The history of this country and it's monarchy are popular the world over, which is why so many people come to see the palaces, castles, museums etc. If we were to have a Johnny Normal as president touring the world representing us there is a great chance that he or she would make us a laughing stock. Who was the last American president you could admire, or that millions of foreign tourists would fly 1000's of miles just to get the slightest chance of a possible glimpse of?

the Royal Family are a laughing stock. what you on about?

Richard Whiteley

Sep 24, 2003
555kaz said:
To who? As opposed to that well versed and respected George W?

to the rest of the 'intelligent' world. They are an expensive series of Eastenders, only fit for gossip rags. Whatever floats your boat...if that makes you 'proud'

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
Richard Whiteley said:
to the rest of the 'intelligent' world. They are an expensive series of Eastenders, only fit for gossip rags. Whatever floats your boat...if that makes you 'proud'

Ok tell me a well respected President, you have the whole world to chose from.

Richard Whiteley

Sep 24, 2003
555kaz said:
Ok tell me a well respected President, you have the whole world to chose from.

what's the relevance of that?

The Royal family is an embarassing throw back to times long past....

some faceless twat in a suit would be far better than those idiots. The only image they project of us is of class, snobbery and red cheeks

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
Richard Whiteley said:
what's the relevance of that?

The Royal family is an embarassing throw back to times long past....

some faceless twat in a suit would be far better than those idiots. The only image they project of us is of class, snobbery and red cheeks

Well the relevance is that people are asking for a Republic, I'm just asking someone to name a respected President to show how good republics are, and how much better value for money they give me then my 62p a year for the monarchy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here