Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

88-06 Pick your squad

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
There was a thread on here yesterday talking about Robert codner, that moved onto a mini debate about which players from that era we would take now. Which got me thinking about what kind of squad we could have if we could choose any players (who have played for us)from the last 20 years. Unfortunately I've only been following the albion for 18years so have decided to make it which players would you choose from the last 18...

Like the world cupo, you can only have 23 players. Here's mine:

Goalkeepers
John Keeley
Mark Beeney

Defenders
Colin Pates
Ian Chapman
Steve Gatting
Gary Chivers
Steve Foster
Larry May
Paul McCarthy
Edit: Mid season transfer: Keith DUBLIN replaces Stefan Iovan.

Midfielders
Clive Walker
John Robinson
Mark Barham
Paul Brooker
Dean Wilkins
Jimmy Case
Robert Codner
Richard Carpenter
Sergei Gotsmanov

Strikers
Mike Small
John Byrne
Garry Nelson
Bobby Zamora

For me, this is a squad that if playing together, in their Albion prime would GUARANTEE promotion from this level.

So, who would YOU choose for your Albion allstar squad 1988-2006?

edited because I had 24 players...

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
The Large One said:
Might have Nogan in there as well.

Yeah, I thought about it but we've had a lot of quality strikers. Nogan was great in the 2nd division but he did go on a monumentally long goal drought and never really did too much with Burnley at this level. Mark Gall was also close to inclusion but I reckon the four I've chosen are more than good enough.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Where is Ashley Neale? Robert Isaacs and Peter Smith:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Stefan Iovan was gubbins. I'd have Nicky Bissett in ahead of him, even with a broken leg.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Albion Dan said:
Id have Darren Currie and Kuipers, Cullip, Keith Dublin and Steve Penney in there.

Kuipers was my third choice keeper but I had to let him go because I was one player over...

I never saw Currie play so couldn't include him.

I completely forgot about Dublin. He's well worth a bit of thought...who to drop though?

I was thinking of Penney but I never really saw him play, he always seemed to be injured, so I opted for Brooker as my fourth winger.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Easy 10 said:
Stefan Iovan was gubbins. I'd have Nicky Bissett in ahead of him, even with a broken leg.

Yeah but I was in single figures in them days. I can't remember EVERYTHING. He came from red star belgrade or somewhere equally European and that IMPRESSED my nine year old brain.:clap:

But I might drop him for KEITH DUBLIN.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Hard to disagree with most of GNLF's bunch.

Goalkeepers
John Keeley
Mark Beeney

Defenders
Colin Pates
Ian Chapman
Steve Gatting
Gary Chivers
Steve Foster
Larry May
Paul McCarthy
Adam Hinshelwood

Midfielders
Clive Walker
John Robinson
Mark Barham
Paul Brooker
Dean Wilkins
Jimmy Case
Richard Carpenter
Sergei Gotsmanov

Strikers
Mike Small
John Byrne
Garry Nelson
Bobby Zamora
Mark Gall

Jul 20, 2003
can't argue with much of the first list, probably Morgan for Iovan and the traditional third keeper (Digweed) instead of May

for some reason I have a Larry May shaped hole in my Albion memories with a little note under it reading "quite a lot of dosh for an oldie"

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Was Colin Pates really any good? My lasting memory of him is the cup game away at Kingstonian and him having heading practice which looked more like a fop jumping for ball with his eyes closed.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Was Colin Pates really any good? My lasting memory of him is the cup game away at Kingstonian and him having heading practice which looked more like a fop jumping for ball with his eyes closed.

No he wasnt really but he did play for the Arse a bit under George Graham and his best days were sadly behind him then. I believe he may even have scored against Benfica at the Stadium of Light.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here