Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

80's children only.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Definitely not a child of the 80s, but by far the best 80s band was Bob Marley and the Wailers....nothing else compares. Two of the best nights of my life in Brighton in 1980.

Jul 20, 2003
listened to in the last week @ Pevenseagull towers:
Echo and the Bunnymen, New Order, Talking Heads, Husker Du, REM, P.I.L., The Fall, The Cure, The Go Betweens, XTC, The Triffids, Prince, Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds, Black Flag, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Throwing Muses, Pixies, Dead Can Dance, 10,000 Maniacs, Dinosaur Jr., Cocteau Twins

80s a shit decade for music my arse

Flex Your Head

Wow, haven't come across anyone else who's even hear of "The Stupids". Great band at the time. I was quite into the 'alternative' screne, so bands like The Pixies, The Fall, Husker Du, The Lemonheads, Dinosaur Jnr come mind. However, if I had to pick just one defining band of the '80s if would probably have to be the mighty SPANDAU BALLET ! (no, seriously!)
The Stupids were really really great. There's quite a connection with Brighton too as, after the first album, Stevie Snax who lived in town joined them on bass. Alan from Brighton hardcore bands Immolato Tomatoes and Sleep sung with them towards the end too, and the guitarist from my old HC band - The Rapid Pips - auditioned for them.
I saw them play some blazing gigs in Brighton, but the one at the Zap with Heresy and Default was probably the best, closely followed by the open-air show at the skate park on The Level.
They reformed a few years back for a couple of gigs, including one at The Engine Rooms. I was very dubious as they didn't really need to (Tommy Stupid is perhaps better known as very successful drum & bass DJ and producer Klute), but they they were supremely powerful, fast, tight and all-round awesome.

Good call with The Pixies, The Fall, Husker Du, The Lemonheads, Dinosaur Jnr, but Spandau Ballet? Really?!?

Nice to see Electro Hippies get a mention too. They were fantatsic.

As for The Jam; they existed between 1972 and 1982. Can they really be called an 80s band, especially as their best stuff came out in the 70s?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Must say I really enjoyed Genesis at Wembley in 1986, not as good as Queen the year earlier though

You saw Queen? Must've been absolutely brilliant, just think Genesis were very boring, I would argue the same for The Smiths as well!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
listened to in the last week @ Pevenseagull towers:
Echo and the Bunnymen, New Order, Talking Heads, Husker Du, REM, P.I.L., The Fall, The Cure, The Go Betweens, XTC, The Triffids, Prince, Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds, Black Flag, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Throwing Muses, Pixies, Dead Can Dance, 10,000 Maniacs, Dinosaur Jr., Cocteau Twins

Tremendous

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Definitely not a child of the 80s, but by far the best 80s band was Bob Marley and the Wailers....nothing else compares. Two of the best nights of my life in Brighton in 1980.

Decent call this. Marley was I guess defined by a genre, rather than an era, so people don't think of this as '80's'.

brightonbaz

Feb 22, 2009
IMO

The Police
The Jam
UB40 (early stuff)
Men at Wok
Saxon
Quo - (early stuff)
Ian Dury
Frankie
Simple minds
Blondie

f*** me what a decade for great music!!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Tremendous

Embolden Talking Heads now! EMBOLDEN!

*shakes fist*
grandpa-simpson-shakes-fist-at-cloud1.jpg

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
80's mentions to Simply Red, David Bowie, Paul Young, Kid Creole and the Coconuts, Aztec Camera, Japan, Steve Winwood and Altered Images (Clare Grogan) - what a diverse decade. I also saw Stevie Wonder at the Brighton Centre on a revolving stage and say it very quickly Wham :)

The keyboard player Richard Barbieri was dating a friend who wasn't all that aware of what he did, of knew about Japan particularly.
We used to meet for lunch together as a small group and he was very quiet and perhaps shy or socially retiring (tortured artist effect!)
I was the one telling her he was a talented lad, and was sure he'd go on to be part of something even bigger in the future - which he has done with Porcupine Tree, an absolutely brilliant band.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here