Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

8000 seats or new pitch ....or both

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Gus blames pitch -official. In the papers today Gus blames the pitch for 5 players' injuries. So should we dig it up AND add the new seats?

Reading beyond the naff-Argus headline, it seemed the problem was more the contrasting Amex and training ground pitches, which is causing the problem.
After all, the pitch is based on proven PL pitches. Perhaps something can be done at the University until the Lancing facility is built.

And, are away team players breaking down with hamstring injuries at the Amex?

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Yes it's the pitch, haven't you seen all those visiting teams players falling with hamstrings ribbed to bits. You've got to laugh sometimes.

Totally agree If I had seen visiting teams dropping like flies I might have blamed the pitch. I personally think it is the style of play that Gus plays. Going forward and then suddenly expecting your players to turn sharply and boot it back into your own half:lol:

woodster

Jul 18, 2003
JCL........Think you'll find the ground staff are bit more sensible than that with regard to what they say and who they say it to...........

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Perhaps away teams aren't as effected as ours as they don't play on it every week and sometimes train

How many of the injured have hurt themself at home? Compared to those away?

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Went I went on the tour I actually stepped on the hallowed turf, admittedly when the guide turned his back. Felt & smelt like normal grass to me but what would a shitty old plumber know about turf :shrug:

not a lot i reckon! should stick to the soil pipes i think. ( sorry, only joking) sent from a sparky...

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
regarding the pitch, I was chatting to a fellow ST holder on Saturday who knows one of the ground staff.

According to him, the pitch needs to be "Loosened up" and is considered to be a contributory factor to some injuries.
It is state of the art, but the grass/fibre mix doesn't have quite enough give in it and can therefore stress out ligaments / muscles etc when doing sharp turns or awkward tackles.

Apparently it doesn't involve re-laying...

All double-dutch to me! :)

This does sound plausible. I have some knowledge regarding pitches, mainly cricket but maybe relative, if the root mass has combined too well with the fibres it will not allow any twisting movement when a stud is in the ground. This is similar to effect that the blade boots have and players who wear them have suffered from twisting injuries. The advancement in green technology in regard to golf and the understanding of root growth has led many clubs from banning metal studs and instead asking players to use the rubber spikes. This is because a lot less damage is caused by golfers twisting their feet on the green as the rubber spkies do not penetrate the surface. A lot more sand or similar substances are used close to the surface of the grass. This causes a heavy root ball to grow for every grass plant before it reaches the "better" soil below thus combining the surface together in a tight knit "carpet". The fibres combine this further. This helps the grass to be far more resilient and stops divots but restricts give in the surface. Its simple really where before if a player "skids" or his studs dug in the surface it would come away in a divot, thus destroying the surface. Now the player is more likely to dig in the surface and the "shock" taken in his knees/ muscles and the pitch left unscathed. Look how many injuries are suffered in the EPL not attributed to tackles there's loads, ask Arsenal (post Highbury)

I suppose it depends what you want, a perfect "billard table" of a pitch regardless of conditions or the ploughed fields of years gone by.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Rather than blowing loads on brand New padded seats, we could get the Pitch fixed and then see if we can buy and refurbish 8000 seats from selhurst.

Should save a packet and they don't need them.

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
the pitch .. is considered to be a contributory factor to some injuries .. and can therefore stress out ligaments / muscles etc when doing sharp turns or awkward tackles.

before if a player "skids" or his studs dug in the surface it would come away in a divot, thus destroying the surface. Now the player is more likely to dig in the surface and the "shock" taken in his knees/ muscles

So this explains why Gus doesn't want to play Vicente - the pitch could make his injuries worse. Also explains why it's all so hush-hush about Vicente - he doesn't want it to get out that the pitch is a liability.

Last edited:

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
It's only Lua Lua pulling up for no apparent reason and maybe Buckley. The rest are injured through challenges and a fair few of them at away games.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
maybe if the groundstaff understood the pitch structure more.........................................? Perhaps watering it less than a traditional pitch..................?

The pre match watering will have very little effect except for dampening down the top level/soil and making it firmer under the top level.
the problem is playing at this pace wearing blades for studs. They give the player very little lateral support and so changing direction , or accelerating over a short distance, is more jarring on muscles than if wearing a normal stud.

woodster

Jul 18, 2003
So this explains why Gus doesn't want to play Vicente - the pitch could make his injuries worse. Also explains why it's all so hush-hush about Vicente - he doesn't want it to get out that the pitch is a liability.

You're joking.....right??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here