Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

8000 seats or new pitch ....or both

eastterracemike

Jan 31, 2008
Gus blames pitch -official. In the papers today Gus blames the pitch for 5 players' injuries. So should we dig it up AND add the new seats?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
No i would keep the Amex pitch for another year at least and go from there. We are in a stronger league for a start and maybe we have had a bad season with injuries.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Expansion will cost around 14 million and the pitch cost approaching 1 million, really don't think it would be a case of one or the other.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
at the wrexham game did anyone else notice the cradle in the upper east behind what used to be the amex banner? Are they starting construction, lol?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
if the pitch could be proved to be at fault the contractor would bear the cost of relaying it but that has to be a massive IF

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
if the pitch could be proved to be at fault the contractor would bear the cost of relaying it but that has to be a massive IF

Spot on. I'd be surprised if the pitch is anything other than what its supposed to be. It will take time to get used to and the comment about overuse from Gus in today's argus is a little worrying but I'm sure we asked for a hardwearing and firm pitch and that is what we have. I do understand the comment about it being different from the ones that we train on but hopefully that will resolve with the academy work.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
maybe if the groundstaff understood the pitch structure more.........................................? Perhaps watering it less than a traditional pitch..................?

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I thought the pitch was "state of the art" and designed to reduce player injuries from what we got told nearly a year ago at the presentations.

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Went I went on the tour I actually stepped on the hallowed turf, admittedly when the guide turned his back. Felt & smelt like normal grass to me but what would a shitty old plumber know about turf :shrug:

Sitch

Jul 3, 2011
Wasn't the whole size of the pitch thing Poyet's idea in the first place...

u'vebeenamexed

Whateverhappenedto.......
Sep 23, 2011
Hove-By-The-Sea
I think there is something in the new pitch causing injuries argument as we were injury free right through last season at Withdean until the last month when Murray , El Abd & Elphick (at Notts County) picked up knocks which kept them out long term. Must get it sorted out as a priority then put in extra seats.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
F*ck off is there anything wrong with the pitch! How can a buch of unfit middle aged blokes play week in week out in a local park and not get injured but these highly tuned athletes can on a professional pitch?

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
yes . in wsu we enjoyed watching the traffic rumble along the A27.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I thought they said it would take 2 years to be at it's best and root in. I know they said they have less sunlight on the pitch than they thought perhaps that's a factor too.

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander
at the wrexham game did anyone else notice the cradle in the upper east behind what used to be the amex banner? Are they starting construction, lol?

I noticed some scaffolding and a couple of ladders.

On the pitch issue. Is this a general problem with this type of pitch or just speculation? Does anyone know the supplier / manufacturer and if any other clubs around the world have experienced issues of this nature?

JCL

Better, Stronger, Faster
Jul 2, 2011
East of Eastbourne
regarding the pitch, I was chatting to a fellow ST holder on Saturday who knows one of the ground staff.

According to him, the pitch needs to be "Loosened up" and is considered to be a contributory factor to some injuries.
It is state of the art, but the grass/fibre mix doesn't have quite enough give in it and can therefore stress out ligaments / muscles etc when doing sharp turns or awkward tackles.

Apparently it doesn't involve re-laying...

All double-dutch to me! :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here