Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

8000 odd tonight - fans protesting with their feet?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I am surprised the club didn't try to attract more of the foreign students that are staying locally. With a large spanish contingent at the club I am sure they would have been well up for it and would likely have cleared out the shop of replica shirts if they had attended as they don't seem shy about spending cash.

If P&R was available the cost of the tickets would have gone up to the point it put people off. Think they were between a rock and a hard place.

BuddyBoy

Mar 3, 2013
I am surprised the club didn't try to attract more of the foreign students that are staying locally. With a large spanish contingent at the club I am sure they would have been well up for it and would likely have cleared out the shop of replica shirts if they had attended as they don't seem shy about spending cash.

If P&R was available the cost of the tickets would have gone up to the point it put people off. Think they were between a rock and a hard place.

If they'd have been well up for it they'd have gone. Not sure what efforts could have been made to attract the Spanish student types anyway.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Thought they'd be more seeing as how the ticketing website (when I checked) was showing just limited availability in all the North Stand and some blocks in the East. However 8,000 is good for this stage of this competition against unattractive opposition.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
If the club can't be bothered to run Park and Ride from at least one site, surely it got the attendance it deserved. No transport to our lovely, but remote stadium, and no fans. Can't be a coincidence.
Club doesn't bother. Fans don't bother. Might be a lesson here Mr Barber?

No. Fans DO bother. At least the real fans do. It's only to Falmer FFS, - not exactly the back of beyond.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
If they'd have been well up for it they'd have gone. Not sure what efforts could have been made to attract the Spanish student types anyway.

Maybe they don't know they can buy tickets?? Or the game was even happening.

Offer cheap tickets to EF or whatever they are called these days.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
If the club can't be bothered to run Park and Ride from at least one site, surely it got the attendance it deserved. No transport to our lovely, but remote stadium, and no fans. Can't be a coincidence.
Club doesn't bother. Fans don't bother. Might be a lesson here Mr Barber?

I think so. 50% of people go by car so that is a 50% eduction in the attendance.

Your Mob had Best get used to the fact that Sub 10K crowds will fast Become a familiar Figure in the coming years. :lol: . Well played Newport BTW :clap2:

Still 3k better than you managed in the same stage of the competition against Championship opposition and only 2k lower than your midweek league game against Bristol City a few seasons ago.

Real crowd embarrassment will come to me when we cannot manage to sell 16k season tickets for the Prem.:lolol:

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I'm on holiday, and I must be far from the only one. That's got to take a fair wedge out.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Would have gone but no park and ride makes it very difficult OR very expensive.

Bigger reason myself and 4 others didn't go RATHER than opponents, day/time, ticket price, booking fees, food standard or price, competition etc.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
If travel was included, then tickets would have started at £17 which is too high. 8k was the SECOND highest attendance last night.

It shows how much people don't really care about the 1st round of the cup !!

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Shit cup against a team of little significance to Brighton, really not suprised by the turn out, £10's not bad but you know you are going to see a weakend team and the game will no doubt be crap as others are not bothering as well. Maybe a few bigger signings would have sold a couple more tickets. attendences are always down in August, I really dont get why they dont just scrap the league cup (although try telling Bradford fans that last season).

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
  • It's the League Cup
  • It was only the first round
  • We were playing Newport County
  • It's the first week of August - people are still on holiday
  • Getting there cost just as much as the tickets (for me, anyway)

Dec 19, 2011
Hove
Get a grip - it was a great crowd considering it was the first round of the cup against what is essentially a conference side, just compare with the other attendances last night!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Nice user name...did it take you a long time to think it up?

Does the 35 mean something to you or is it the amount of times you shagged your sister or your pit bull?

IQ score surely :wink:

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I do think running ONE park and ride would have added a few hundred to the gate.

But the additional cost on the ticket would have more than cancelled them out. I went because it cost £12 (+£1 booking fee), once it had gone to £15 (£16 with booking fee) I probably wouldn't have bothered. £25 for me and my son for A CC cup game against Newport isn't worth it.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
But the additional cost on the ticket would have more than cancelled them out. I went because it cost £12 (+£1 booking fee), once it had gone to £15 (£16 with booking fee) I probably wouldn't have bothered. £25 for me and my son for A CC cup game against Newport isn't worth it.

OK, then maybe a skeleton park and ride with a couple of quid charge. Or lower the car park price like the ticket price was.

I went. But equally, I know people who rely on the park and ride etc for evening games who didn't bother.

Just seems strange that we ALWAYS (I am pretty sure we did anyway) had a park and ride when we played at Withdean even for crap JPT cup games attracting 2,000, but didn't have any last night.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

Because they would have to go all the way to the Amex to buy tickets? If they were on sale at the QR shop, more would have been sold to passing students.

Closing the queens road ticket office ranks as the stupidest thing Paul B****r has done to date.

They would have to sell what, 5 tickets a day, to cover one persons wages at the shop. Stupid, short-minded decision.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here