Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

8 teams leaving F1 to set up new championship...

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
Mosely is only the front man for Bernie Ecclestone, Mosely is just a puppet.

The Idea to "cap" teams R&D budget is sensible in that it would make for a more level playing field. A completely new team would have to find so much money to be competetive that it is impossible to join and break in to the upper echelons of the sport.

Team Brawn seem to have done it?

Perhaps it's not about the money, just the personnel?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Hardly.

Brawn are no 'new team'. Honda poured many many millions into R+D last year. Brawn are reaping the benifits.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Team Honda felt they could not justify pouring more money in to F1 given the financial slowdown and so baled out. Brawn bought the team in the same way that you can buy a top of the range Merc dirt cheap sometimes when a businessman goes bankrupt and will take any offer.

The Honda 2009 car( now Brawn Racing) was expected to be a major improvement on the previous model and so it has turned out.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
F1 is what it is today because of Bernie. He put the whole thing together, that's why he makes so much money out of it.
He cannot afford to let it break up and neither can the teams.
He may be a weasel, as he was described to me by my then GF in the 70's, but what you watch today, love it or not is down to him.

Indeed, he must take a lot of credit for building it into the sport it is today, BUT, everyone goes past their sell-by date, and Bernie seems to be no exception.

This "salary cap" nonsense is his first universally unpopular move for ooohhhh, a couple of months! Just imagine if his ludicrous "most wins is champion" idea had not been thrown out by the teams, the season would be virtually all over now, even if Ferrari suddenly became faster than Brawn they would have to decide who is going to take the wins in a desperate attempt to catch Button. Thank goodness that was thrown out.

I just think the teams have lost patience with little Bernie, and Nazi Max, to the extent that they don't just want this idea scrapped, they want an overhaul of who makes these decisions and the level of team input that goes into making them.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's all about money. Mosley's position is almost untenable, Bernie will need to give the teams and the industry more money. I expect Mosley to be replaced with someone more conciliatory towards the teams.

The reality is it takes more than a year to develop a Formula One car to a competitive standard. Secondly, take Monaco. It would be an economic disaster if the 2010 race has a weak field; the hotels and corporate bods have just taken a hammering in 09 and a few companies have already folded.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
The good thing is that it appears to evolve over time from these ideas, good and bad.
Don't forget a camel looks like a horse designed by a committee.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hardly.

Brawn are no 'new team'. Honda poured many many millions into R+D last year. Brawn are reaping the benifits.

If it had had a Honda engine I doubt it would have been half the car it is with a Mercedes engine though.

Nov 25, 2008
Block (H)ated
don't forget about A1, support your country in motor racing even if the car wasn't made in your country :rolleyes:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's all about money. Mosley's position is almost untenable, Bernie will need to give the teams and the industry more money.

as i understand it the £40Million budget just happens to be the ammount that Eccelstone's company pays each team from the TV rights (50% of the total raised). the idea is by capping at this amount no manufacturer will be faced with the decision to compete or not as it will be a zero net cost.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The BBC have just signed a 5 year deal to televise Formula One from this season - what happens to that if this breakaway occurs ? Do the teams negotiate a new deal of their own ? Could the BBC SUE ?

I doubt it's been paid up front and I would presume within the contract there is something along the lines of there actually being something to watch.

Can't believe I'm even posting about this "sport"

If they all raced in the same cars, I might be interested - although possibly not.

Isn't the the race just a side show to all the commercial interests. I was reading tonight that the manufacturers are unhappy about races taking place in terrotories that are different to ones they want to sell cars.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I see peace has broken out and, coincidentally, Max Mosley has reversed his decision to stand again as FIA chief. He'll be gone in October.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
i hoe the beeb didnt pay too much up front, for their 5 year coverage deal..

would they get a refund if any split goes ahead? and anything to stop them from covering both?

and what would the breakaway championship be called? F1 Lite?

I bet the remaining teams would be cacking it, as less coverage for their sponsorss, so they would be likely to get less dough as well..

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
seems the teams won, though await an attempted reversal of some provsions by Mosley (which is half the problem they have with him)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here