Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

8 teams leaving F1 to set up new championship...

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
As things stand, next year's F1 championship now consists of Williams and Force India, along with the three new teams, USF1, Campos and Manor.

!!!!!

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
What does this mean for TV coverage? What's betting you this breakaway this will be screeed on SKY only or another Pay per view service, so the days of free coverage on ITV and the BBC will be gone.

D Block blue

Feb 23, 2009
West Sussex la la la
then on this basis the breakaway teams will competing under new championship something other than Formula1, any ideas what they may call it?
-----------------------------

off to silverstone on sunday and will enjoy every minute whatever happens. come on!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
isnt the real underlying issue not FIA/Mosley but Ecclestone and his ownership of the TV rights? If the new series is to be a success one of the things they will need is high profile, i wouldnt be surprised if they went for terrestrial TV.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
This is interesting... Ecclestone owns the rights to the brand 'F1'. If he decides to go with the breakaway group, the FIA are pretty f***ed.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Max Mosely - The man who killed F1. Not a great legacy is it?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This is a case of one person having to much power and he carnt see any further then the end of hes nose, why change something that has worked well for years

Mosely is only the front man for Bernie Ecclestone, Mosely is just a puppet.

The Idea to "cap" teams R&D budget is sensible in that it would make for a more level playing field. A completely new team would have to find so much money to be competetive that it is impossible to join and break in to the upper echelons of the sport.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Could be then, that if the Formula One British Grand Prix (ie - that sanctioned by the FIA) is off to Donington, this new lot could move into Silverstone and carry on un-interrupted from that POV.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ecclestone will back down and hopefully blame and sack Mosely.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
What does this mean for TV coverage? What's betting you this breakaway this will be screeed on SKY only or another Pay per view service, so the days of free coverage on ITV and the BBC will be gone.

Almost certainly, they all want the big bucks afterall

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This is interesting... Ecclestone owns the rights to the brand 'F1'. If he decides to go with the breakaway group, the FIA are pretty f***ed.

about as likely as Hamilton retaining his title this season. the teams want the money that Ecclestone has been siphoning away from them all these years.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
We've been here before though haven't we, whereby the teams get changes they want brought in or not as the case may be, by threatening to walk away.

Last time, Ferrari got a greater share of prize money in exchange for turning their back on the breakaway, with everyone knowing that the success of any breakaway was largely down to whether Ferrari jump or not.

Lots of posturing to come yet, but I'd expect all to return to where they were, but with the teams probably having greater power.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The BBC have just signed a 5 year deal to televise Formula One from this season - what happens to that if this breakaway occurs ? Do the teams negotiate a new deal of their own ? Could the BBC SUE ?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
F1 is what it is today because of Bernie. He put the whole thing together, that's why he makes so much money out of it.
He cannot afford to let it break up and neither can the teams.
He may be a weasel, as he was described to me by my then GF in the 70's, but what you watch today, love it or not is down to him.
I don't know if I can accept her assessment though as she did once ask George Harrison what he did for a living. :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here