8.9 magnitude earthquake in japan

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
the pictures on sky etc are horrendous.

oil refinery just gone up.....

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
The video of the boats crashing into the elevated bypass road are incredible. Just like something out of all those natural disaster movies. The fire at the oil refinery must be a huge worry. Very scary

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
thoughts are with the Japs, very scary..........i fear the worst is yet to come..

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Poor people. Those pictures of the tidal wave look horrendous.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
hope Shizuoka dolphin is ok and away from the epicentre.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
bloody hell sky just showed pictures of a line of traffic being hit by the tsunami.....saw a truck being washed away. poor sod in the cab.

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
shit, my brother is in Japan, not quite sure where though

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Tsunami warnings all around the Pacific rim.....from Alaska to Mexico!

Last edited:

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Jesus! That'll please my brother in-law, he only just got back from NZ on Tues morning as part of the UK's search & rescue team, and he was knackered. Don't unpack the bags just yet Ian!

:eek:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
They just had a bloke on live from Hawaii, where they expect the tsunami to hit in about four hours time or early this afternoon UK time. Someone made the point that the tsunami wave is higher than many Pacific islands, which doesn't sound good for places like the Maldives.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
To be fair, there have been huge earthquakes for years, but in Iran, Pakistan & China - and they get much less press than NZ & Japan. Didn't the Iranian one kill 1/4 million people?

Point taken.

The Australian floods, then cyclone, then NZ, now Japan, all seem very recent, that's all.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
They just had a bloke on live from Hawaii, where they expect the tsunami to hit in about four hours time or early this afternoon UK time. Someone made the point that the tsunami wave is higher than many Pacific islands, which doesn't sound good for places like the Maldives.

Point taken, but geography lesson required.

:amex::ascarf:

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Jesus! That'll please my brother in-law, he only just got back from NZ on Tues morning as part of the UK's search & rescue team, and he was knackered. Don't unpack the bags just yet Ian!

I havn't had a long chat with my brother in-law yet but one of the things he has said is that they were still getting aftershocks in Christchurch right up to the day his team left. One aftershock last Sunday knocked him off his feet and they very nearly lost one of the team when another aftershock made the building they were searching collapse, scary stuff indeed.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
That is one hell of an earthquake, my understanding is that the magnitude increases a hundred times per point on the Richter scale, so for example a 7.3 is a hundred times more powerful than a 7.2...maybe there is someone with geo-physical knowledge who can confirm or deny that.

All I can say is that I experienced two 4.6 quakes in the Netherlands, in 1992 and 2000, which were strong for North West Europe. Although very small in comparison to the Japanese quake they were strong enough to shake the buildings I was in and cause minor damage. The quake in 1992 had its epicentre near the Dutch town of Roermond and killed a few people across the border in Germany.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here