Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

7 pints of beer a week?

On average to you drink more or less than seven pints a week?

• Above

Votes: 115 56.4%
  • Below

Votes: 89 43.6%

• Total voters

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
It's really not worth worrying about. The original guidelines were made up on the back of a fag packet and these are based on tiny percentages relating to different cancers.

The same percentage difference in risk could be created by your weight, your diet, pollution where you live, lack or not of exercise etc

So I'll continue to eat well, exercise regularly, stay thin, live in an area of low pollution (I do all these by choice rather than by government "advice") and DRINK as MUCH as I LIKE thanks.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
It's really not worth worrying about. The original guidelines were made up on the back of a fag packet and these are based on tiny percentages relating to different cancers.

The same percentage difference in risk could be created by your weight, your diet, pollution where you live, lack or not of exercise etc

So I'll continue to eat well, exercise regularly, stay thin, live in an area of low pollution (I do all these by choice rather than by government "advice") and DRINK as MUCH as I LIKE thanks.

Also if you look at what other countires have set there limits at, they all seem a bit random. Spain's suggested limit is 35 units a week.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
There was a good Times article a few years ago that debunked the idea that the original guidelines had any credibility. Based on the comments of the people who actually made them.

Looks like it's behind Rupert's paywall now but this has the gist of it..... (fixed link)

http://goo.gl/rfuHda

Even notorious nanny staters and scaremongerers the WHO had guidelines way above those we were lead to believe were correct (based on zero evidence).

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

Word.

And besides, you might get run over by a bus tomorrow or struck by lightning. Just make sure you've got clean pants on.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Sack this chief medical officer and get someone in who recommends higher limits. Think of the duties we could lose. I mean they sacked David Nutt when he said ecstasy was relatively safe. That was going to effect drinking consumption.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Now 67 and don't drink much beer anymore; maybe 65 pints a year. However, I drink a lot more wine now as well as enjoying port, cognac and whisky.
So, less than 7 pints of beer a week but more than 14 units of alcohol a week.
Retired and don't give a stuff about guidelines; my body tells me when I've overindulged and as I can no longer tolerate the hangovers of my younger days, I tend not to get pissed too often.
Anyway, currently on a 3 month 'diet' of cutting down on food and drinking virtually no booze. Got to shift some of this weight.
Boring but necessary!

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Sack this chief medical officer and get someone in who recommends higher limits. Think of the duties we could lose. I mean they sacked David Nutt when he said ecstasy was relatively safe. That was going to effect drinking consumption.

Just another step in the Islamification of the UK.

Dont eat Pork, Dont bet, Dont Drink.........................may as well move to Raqqa and have done with it.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Just another step in the Islamification of the UK.

Dont eat Pork, Dont bet, Dont Drink.........................may as well move to Raqqa and have done with it.

What's the Muslim take on ecstasy then .

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
This bit made me laugh:

"The 14-unit limit has been chosen because at that point, your drinking leads to a 1% risk of dying from alcohol-related causes.
This has been deemed to be an acceptable level of risk as it is approximately the same risk that someone has when they do an every day task such as driving a car."

It's the same risk as driving a car! My car stays in the garage most days, so that gives me a few more units to play with.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Oh and well, well below but won't be at all judgemental to others
Yes you will. Ex-smokers are always the most judgmental :)

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
This bit made me laugh:

"The 14-unit limit has been chosen because at that point, your drinking leads to a 1% risk of dying from alcohol-related causes.
This has been deemed to be an acceptable level of risk as it is approximately the same risk that someone has when they do an every day task such as driving a car."

It's the same risk as driving a car! My car stays in the garage most days, so that gives me a few more units to play with.
So anything over a 99 out of 100 shot is considered too high a risk. Get f*cked and get the beers in.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
It's quite possible I will get through that many before, during and after watching Worthing FC tomorrow.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
By rights I should be dead

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here