Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

65p for a argus !!!!!!

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I only ever buy it during the season on a Monday (or after a game) so the price increase will make no difference to me. And if the sport section on a Monday is better then it is a result.

I suspect you and I will fit their demographic for when the paper becomes bi weekly, or weekly in the near future.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Cancelled my papers (tabloid and Argus) from yesterday. £10 per week saved. Everything is on the Internet!!

Some paperboy/girl is probably out of a job now. Without a job they won't have any money for sweets so they'll turn to shoplifting, this will then lead to bigger crimes and before you know it they'll be in jail for armed robbery. It will be YOUR fault, I hope you're proud...

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Some paperboy/girl is probably out of a job now. Without a job they won't have any money for sweets so they'll turn to shoplifting, this will then lead to bigger crimes and before you know it they'll be in jail for armed robbery. It will be YOUR fault, I hope you're proud...

to be British? :lol:

Actually, the shop owner doesn't employ paperboy/girls he does it himself!!!! :D

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
to be British? :lol:

Actually, the shop owner doesn't employ paperboy/girls he does it himself!!!! :D

Well that's a sorry state of affairs, doing a paper round is a rite of passage that seems to be slowing dying out :(

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Well that's a sorry state of affairs, doing a paper round is a rite of passage that seems to be slowing dying out :(

Agree with that!

Maybe kids prefer to be in front of their tvs, computers, mobile phones etc than sticking papers through the doors. I used to love pay day on my paper round many moons ago. :)

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
Bought the Argus every morning till today , wouldn't bother anymore don't think it's worth 65p.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Cancelled my papers (tabloid and Argus) from yesterday. £10 per week saved. Everything is on the Internet!!
Just wait until you have to pay for that too!

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Bought the Argus every morning till today , wouldn't bother anymore don't think it's worth 65p.

Don't think its worth 6 1/2 p let alone 65p

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
The thing is, 65p is a 30% increase in price. I always thought 50p was a tad steep. That said, I think the monday edition is value for money based on what I've seen. I haven't read the front of an Argus ever so a bigger Albion section is most welcome. The question is, how to justify the 30% increase the other days - one assumes such a dramatic hike is driven by falling sales and rising inflation.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Somewhat typical that they choose to launch a 12 page sports supplement after a weekend when Albion didn't play

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I hate to point this out, but if people think the paper is as worthless as they claim, then just don't buy it? Like others have said, most of the content is online, so just get the news there.

In the grand scheme of things, in terms of value for money, there are loads of products for sale that are priced over the top. I personally don't have a problem in occasionally paying 65p for a newspaper, the same way I would still fork out £4 for a pint, £2 for a coffee, £3.50 for a sandwich or £4 for city centre car parking. I wouldn't do it all the time because I don't think those products are worth that amount of money, but that is the choice I make.

Back to the focus on The Argus specifically, I think it is probably one last hurrah before the eventual shift to online only, and subsequent demise of the paper (not straight away, but probably in a generation's time). Publishers are looking for new revenue streams, but all the time they are searching for these, the need to plug the gap between costs and revenues, somehow, hence the increased cost of the paper.

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
It's £2.85 per week (mon-sat) to have the argus home delivered directly from the argus, which is actually cheaper that the previous cover price, but don't let that get in the way of a chance to jump on the bandwagon.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
It's £2.85 per week (mon-sat) to have the argus home delivered directly from the argus, which is actually cheaper that the previous cover price, but don't let that get in the way of a chance to jump on the bandwagon.

That argument stands up if they deliver to your postcode. There are parts of Brighton and Hove that they refuse to deliver to on economic grounds!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here