Votes: 84 15.8%

Votes: 28 5.3%

Votes: 190 35.6%

Votes: 1 0.2%

Votes: 3 0.6%

• Total voters

Shifty89

Sep 29, 2007
What do you do if it's 100 -(minus) -(negative)10? 100 plus negative negative 10? :wink:
Don't be silly, 2 minuses make a plus! Anyway, by the time you've finished a maths degree you don't really use numbers, it becomes more of a study of the greek alphabet! What is this 10 you speak of?!?!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So what is the correct answer??? I know we got 3 points tonight and we were f@[MENTION=19866]king B[/MENTION]rilliant! but after many pints and a double J.D this all makes my head spin?????
Given that there's no appointed examiner (unless Bozza counts), you're basically asking the classmates, who are currently busy throwing chalk at each other. So you've got to choose which class mate you'd like to copy, hoping that they're not stupid.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I've no problem with that, but that's what you'd need to explain to people. You'd need to say, hey guys, instead of having to worry about the order, just treat all subtractions as negative numbers and stick with additions. Sadly you'd lose half of NSC with that (I think most still think the answer is 1).

But, seeing as we're both pedants... you've realised you were wrong haven't you :D
If not, could you give me an example of an equation where a subtraction appears to the left of an addition, but you do the addition first and all ends well (and we can use any numbers we want in the equation)?

Why use numbers? :jester:

a - (b + c) is not equal to (a - b) + c!* The difference between the two answers is 2c. In this case c = 1.
a - (b + c) = 5
(a - b) + c = 7

Might lose 95% of NSC with that...

*Exclamation mark, not factorial :lolol:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Why use numbers? :jester:
No need for numbers, but one equation please, without brackets (as everyone seems to be in agreement that brackets come first).

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
No need for numbers, but one equation please, without brackets (as everyone seems to be in agreement that brackets come first).

:jester:

Well, you're asking for an equation to show something that is impossible. The algebraic proof in my previous post shows that they are simply not equal, regardless of the numbers.

Starting with the equation
a - b + c

If you do the addition first, it's the same as putting it in brackets, yes? Which gives you:

a - (b + c)

which equals:

a - b - c

If you do the subtraction first, it's the same as putting that in brackets, giving you:

(a - b) + c

which equals:

a - b + c

a - b - c ≠ a - b + c

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well, you're asking for an equation to show something that is impossible.
Yes, but I wasn't asking you (originally), I was asking Shifty, as he said it doesn't matter what order you do the subtraction or addition in an equation.

Shifty89

Sep 29, 2007
I've no problem with that, but that's what you'd need to explain to people. You'd need to say, hey guys, instead of having to worry about the order, just treat all subtractions as negative numbers and stick with additions. Sadly you'd lose half of NSC with that (I think most still think the answer is 1).

But, seeing as we're both pedants... you've realised you were wrong haven't you :D
If not, could you give me an example of an equation where a subtraction appears to the left of an addition, but you do the addition first and all ends well (and we can use any numbers we want in the equation)?

Thing is i think i don't use - as an operator in the sense you are using it, and so only use addition for this kind of scenario. But i don't think of it as 2 + -1 i just think of it as 2 -1, if you follow me. I don't know what i'm saying anymore! Basically the way i think of subtraction/addition (as addition of +/- numbers) means they can be done in any order, and in BODMAS addition and subtraction are equivalent when you think of it like this, i think this is what i was taught at school (was a while ago, can't remember!). I think that was the point i was making? so in that sense i am right? But i can also see how the way you are looking at it, using - as purely an operator, then it does matter the order in which you do it, so in that sense you are right. It's just two different ways of interpreting it, provided it comes out with the right answer in a logical manner i've no problem with that (you got 7 for the answer i hope?). So lets agree that we were both right.

...ps. my way is bettter! :jester:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Thing is i think i don't use - as an operator in the sense you are using it, and so only use addition for this kind of scenario. But i don't think of it as 2 + -1 i just think of it as 2 -1, if you follow me.
Yes, no problem with that.
Basically the way i think of subtraction/addition (as addition of +/- numbers) means they can be done in any order
Understood.
and in BODMAS addition and subtraction are equivalent when you think of it like this, i think this is what i was taught at school (was a while ago, can't remember!). I think that was the point i was making? so in that sense i am right?
Nope, sorry. With Bodmas (can't be bothered with all capitals) you treat addition and subtraction equally, but you must work from left to right. This doesn't apply to you, because you simply don't use subtraction, but for those that do they need to get things in the right order.
But i can also see how the way you are looking at it, using - as purely an operator, then it does matter the order in which you do it, so in that sense you are right.
You don't use it as an operator because you've been staring at letters too long (ie, doing a masters in maths), but most people will see the minus sign in 100 - 10 + 10 as an operator.

It's just two different ways of interpreting it, provided it comes out with the right answer in a logical manner i've no problem with that (you got 7 for the answer i hope?).
Indeed they are just different ways, and yes, obviously 7.

So lets agree that we were both right.
I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that. *

We passed agreeing we're both right way back my friend, way way back:
Look buddy, it DOES NOT MATTER what order you do addition/subtraction and multiplication/division in (multiplication/division before addition/subtraction of course), provided of course that you are able to add/ subtract and multiply/divide properly, which you appear to be unable to do.
Despite your shouting, it does matter :D

...ps. my way is bettter! :jester:
I believe you, I haven't got a masters in maths.

* 2001: A Space Odyssey

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The minus is absolutely associated with the ten! Other wise what the hell is a 100-!? You have three things, a 100, a 10 and a -10. Not, as you seem to think a 10 another 10 and a mysterious 100-.
That is incorrect. You don't have 'three things' you have three integers and two operations. The integers are 100, 10 and 10, the operations are a subtraction and an addition. Like you say, the minus is associated with the 10, because the minus sign is telling you to subtract the 10 from the 100. I fully appreciate that the way you work this out will always work, but you are subconsciously adding a negative, and not following the equation as it has been written. That's fine, but doesn't help when explaining the maths involved to others. People in this thread were explaining Bodmas to others, but you are introducing an alternative method without explaining it (or even realising you are doing it). You are not doing any subtractions in your method.

Ok, I will try simple.
You have 100 apples. If take away 10 apples you will have 90. I then give you ten apples and you have 100.
If you have 10 apples and I give you 100 you will have 110 apples. I then take away 10 apples and you have 100 apples. See? It no matter!
We all understand that, you are completely missing the point being discussed.

The equation we have been given is 100 - 10 + 10
Written in words the equation is 100 minus 10 plus 10

You however, do not agree with that. You don't think there's a subtraction in that equation. You think the equation is 100 plus negative 10 plus 10. It's fine that you work it out like that, but strictly speaking that would be written as 100 + -10 +10 but that's not the equation we were given (of course the result is the same, but we're discussing method here, not just results).

Just because the way you have learnt maths is to add negative numbers instead of subtracting positive numbers doesn't mean it's the only way. You seem to have learnt how to do it, you know it works, and you are now unwilling to listen to any other method. Bodmas is a method, a recognised method, and it's not the method you're using.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Am I the only person really scared by this thread? Do half the people I meet think 6 - 0 + 1 equals 5?
Er, no. Don't you understand percentages? 16% of the people you meet think the answer is 5, but 16% is not a half.

Kidding

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
If we take the poll as being representative of the population in general the vast majority don't know how to formulate the correct answer. From those as small percentage claim that they can answer it, but can't click on the right part of a webpage!

Worrying times indeed!

Dunk

Jul 27, 2011
Lewes
Brackets
Indices (the same as powers)
Divide
Multiply
Add
Subtract

It has also been called BODMAS with the O being 'Order'. BOMDAS would also work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here