Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

6,033 - Another Poor Crowd

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Was has happened to your attendances this season? Why are they so low?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Difficult to say really bar the obvious - fans standards are maybe too high and expect success all the time.

Also Withdean is just depressing and not a great place to watch football.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Appears some fans have forgotton what they were watching just a few seasons ago. I still remember the relief at getting out of Division bloody 3. High Expectations - High Prices - Shite Ground - Shite Football = Low Crowd.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Going by what's been said on here recently, there doesn't appear to any real excuse for this season's poor crowds at Withdean.

Seems like a degree of apathy is sweeping through Albion's support at the moment. That must be a bit of a worry with the Falmer campaign ongoing.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Nah, not apathy, just short memories for some, and a dislike for getting wet from the rest.

You can be sure that I'll continue to be a season ticket holder for the remainder of our incarceration at Withdean though (it's better than exile!).

I shan't to be at the Bournemouth game though, as a mate of mine has selfishly decided to get married that day!! So blame my mate if the crowd is low that day!!

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
but can i just say

nice one ticket office

i had two fit aussie birds sitting in front of me today

:clap2: nice one ticketman, keep up the good work

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Albion's fans have always been a bit fickle.

Remember QPR got their highest gate of the season because the Albion were the visitors and brought a huge following.

Today we got a low crowd because Barnsley were the visitors and didn't bring many.

Why not? They were a Premiership team only five minutes ago.

We bleat on about variations of a few hundred, not because the Albion can't sell tickets in Sussex, but because Barnsley can't sell them in Yorkshire.

The Plymouth game seems to be nearly sold out, despite Sky. But I guess that numbers will be down because ...

(a) there will be people who turn up at 3.00 and go home;

(b) some season ticket holders will watch it at home;

(c) some people will think it is too cold.

Whatever ...

Knight OUT! (obviously)

Last edited:

Citrus

Seagulls over Toronto
Jul 11, 2003
Toronto
Lord Bracknell said:
Remember QPR got their highest gate of the season because the Albion were the visitors and brought a huge following.

Today we got a low crowd because Barnsley were the visitors and didn't bring many.

We bleat on about variations of a few hundred, not because the Albion can't sell tickets in Sussex, but because Barnsley can't sell them in Yorkshire.

The Plymouth game seems to be nearly sold out, despite Sky. But I guess that numbers will be down because ...

Whatever ...

Knight OUT! (obviously)

:clap2: :lolol:

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Lord Bracknell said:

Whatever ...

Knight OUT! (obviously)
nipped it in the backside :clap:

Balti Pie Man

Jan 18, 2004
Dorset
Speaking as a fan who has to travel from Dorset, I just can't afford to get too as many games as I would like so I have to pick and choose.

After going to QPR last week, Barnsley at home didn't seem that appealing.

I still remember Barnsley at home back in the early nineties when Chris Eubank showed off his new world title belt at half time. I think we won 1-0 nil that day as well!

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I have to agree with the Bluebird - Apathy just about sums it up.

I just hope when the Falmer decision comes through it galvanises people into filling the ground for the rest of the season.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Lord Bracknell: You seem to be suggesting that Albion's poor crowd today was simply down to the fact that Barnsley didn't bring many fans with them. Is that really the case?

If memory serves, Albion were generally getting better crowds than they have been recently during the championship campaigns of 2000/01 and 2001/02.

There must have been plenty of teams who brought less than Barnsley during those two seasons. For instance, looking at the stats for the 2000/01 season in Division Three, I see that you had the following attendances:

Scunthorpe: 6,567
Hartlepool: 6,528
Carlisle Utd: 6,746
Halifax Town: 6,995
Mansfield: 6,703
Darlington: 6,639

I can't imagine that any of those footballing giants took more fans to Sussex than Barnsley, and yet all of the crowds are at least 500 bigger than today's.

How would you explain that?

I should point out that I'm not trying to take the piss here, I'm just genuinely interested. In recent years, like most people I've held the belief that Albion would be getting much better crowds if they were playing in a ground with a larger capacity. However, this season's evidence would seem to cast a little doubt over that theory.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I don't like to slag Dick Knight off but has he pushed the fans just a little too far?.Ticket prices have crept up and up and now unless we are at the top and playing well empty seats are going to appear.I know we need the money to pay ecovert etc etc but its no good if people ar'nt going to pay it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
LB is wonderfully optimistic and I love him for it.

In the good old days when the away team didn't sell their tickets a few slavering fools would snap them up - paying close to £200 per ticket in the process.

In this brave new world in which we live, it is officially impossible to give a ticket away - no bugger wants one.

Bozza, who will enjoy the Plymouth game from the confines of a Somerset pub whilst ceremoniously burning his season ticket as no-one wants it.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
True fact look at the ticket exchange board - many tickets offered but not taken up.

Someone summed it up pretty well on the phone-in this evening. People are bored and fed up, simple as that. Bored and fed up of Withdean, bored and fed up of the prices and conditions, bored and fed up of the football on offer.

I'm what Ian Hart would describe as a 'stuck on' Albion fan, like many on here, but today I just couldn't be arsed. It's a shame but that's the truth. I'm fed up of paying £22 to sit in a shit tip, watching a load of crap. Don't get me wrong, the next away match I'll be there, and the next away day after that, but when it comes to home games the interest isn't there.

Anyone who wants to suggest I'm anything like a fair weather fan can f*** off right now. I was at The Goldstone, at Gillingham, and two seasons ago travelled to Swansea on a freezing October night in the first round of the LDV.

This season's attendances have underlined yet again why Falmer is SO important. Players and managers get fed up of it, and so do the paying public.

Safeway, who will also be watching the Plymouth match in a pub and will be listening to most of the remaining homes games on SCR (unless Bozza sends him his unwanted season ticket).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here