Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] 5th Test Match England v India Cancelled

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
On the plus side we can all enjoy Shaun K's last 6Music show without any feeling we should be listening to the cricket

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
The relationship between the ECB and BCCI is a strong one. There has been an acknowledgment that this is more to do with fatigue. India have been in a bubble for four months now and they are shagged out with IPL and Tests and all coming like flies.

The problem is their coaching staff have gone down/isolating and I'm not even sure they have a physio left.

Folk go on with throw away lines about money etc but I can see it from the other side. It seems there is a willingness to play the final Test when they return next year.

It's an endless rotation nowadays and easy for those on our fat arses to enjoy, not so easy for those involved.

My previous post was largely tongue in cheek, albeit there should be a proper refund for the people who have lost out because of this (apart from the fans, I gather Lancashire are looking at millions of pounds of losses and are likely to need bailing out).

The fixture lists, particularly for England and India, are a complete joke. It's amazing players don't burn out more often, and it's no wonder England barely ever get anything approaching their strongest bowling attack on the field. Sticking this match in the middle of next season won't help either.

I'm fairly understanding in the circumstances. Apart from all the stresses and difficulties around the problems they've had with cases in the touring party, I've not seen yet whether they've had any results from the latest round of tests. Given the close contact between the physios and players it wouldn't be surprising if there were players who are currently infected.

I'm certainly more understanding of this than I was a few years ago when AB de Villiers seemed to flit in and out of retirement every couple of months while complaining about how much he was playing, at the same time as playing in about 6 different T20 leagues around the world.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
My previous post was largely tongue in cheek, albeit there should be a proper refund for the people who have lost out because of this (apart from the fans, I gather Lancashire are looking at millions of pounds of losses and are likely to need bailing out).

The fixture lists, particularly for England and India, are a complete joke. It's amazing players don't burn out more often, and it's no wonder England barely ever get anything approaching their strongest bowling attack on the field. Sticking this match in the middle of next season won't help either.

I'm fairly understanding in the circumstances. Apart from all the stresses and difficulties around the problems they've had with cases in the touring party, I've not seen yet whether they've had any results from the latest round of tests. Given the close contact between the physios and players it wouldn't be surprising if there were players who are currently infected.

I'm certainly more understanding of this than I was a few years ago when AB de Villiers seemed to flit in and out of retirement every couple of months while complaining about how much he was playing, at the same time as playing in about 6 different T20 leagues around the world.

I looked at my post and thought it was a bit of a rant TBH. So sorry about that.

It just that I feel some folk think they were crying off and I wanted to think in their minds.

Certainly, having no support staff for tired bodies is an issue. Also fears that it might break out and all that comes with that. Added we have the Indian team traveling with families too. Of course, they want to protect their IPL contracts. Who wouldn't ? But they do take pride in their national badge too.

Didn't England do something similar in RSA ?

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
I looked at my post and thought it was a bit of a rant TBH. So sorry about that.

It just that I feel some folk think they were crying off and I wanted to think in their minds.

Certainly, having no support staff for tired bodies is an issue. Also fears that it might break out and all that comes with that. Added we have the Indian team traveling with families too. Of course, they want to protect their IPL contracts. Who wouldn't ? But they do take pride in their national badge too.

Didn't England do something similar in RSA ?

Yes, albeit part of the issue there was that players kept getting positive tests that later turned out to be false, so I think they were all a bit freaked out by the whole situation.

Various articles I've read have suggested that the approach to covid in the Indian touring party is a bit all over the place, not so much cavalier as just confusing. It's perhaps not surprising that they've had a few people come down with it, and that the players are struggling with that. I'd expect the England team to refuse to play in the same circumstances, and I'd probably be just as irritated with them not knuckling under and getting on with it as some people are with the Indian team.

As it is, aside from the spectators and Lancashire and various other people who've been screwed over by this, I'm genuinely a little pleased that Jimmy's shoulder will get a few days rest for once.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I’d be incensed if I’d booked travel and accommodation to go (and I know people who have). The Indians didn’t want to play this test once the IPL was rearranged, were told it couldn’t be moved, and lo and behold they ‘can’t field a team’ even though all of their players have tested negative. And what amazing fortune for those with many millions invested in the IPL that they’re now free to fly to Dubai tomorrow for the IPL. It stinks.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I’d be incensed if I’d booked travel and accommodation to go (and I know people who have). The Indians didn’t want to play this test once the IPL was rearranged, were told it couldn’t be moved, and lo and behold they ‘can’t field a team’ even though all of their players have tested negative. And what amazing fortune for those with many millions invested in the IPL that they’re now free to fly to Dubai tomorrow for the IPL. It stinks.

It's difficult to have any respect for anyone who needs to go to Dubai to play cricket. Similarly the WC next year is fools gold.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here