Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

5 years of Sven

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Perry Milkins said:
Who invented the phrase 'Hollywood ball' and on what basis has Hollywood got within the spirit of passing a football in a gem of soccer?

Does a Hollywood ball require some degree of waxing??

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I don't believe the problem lies in a lack of passion or talent in our players. For me the problem is with Svens tactics. Here we has probably the most talented, ball playing team England has ever seen but he just seems to have no confidence in them to play like this. It is usually very defensive, conservative football which was fine when he first started because he was laying foundations. But since this time, with the notable exceptions, the team has not blossomed into playing more inventive football. And with the likes of Lampard, Cole, Beckham, Ronney and Owen that is a real missed oppotunity.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
I believe the term "Hollywood Ball" was invented by a Mr Ron Atkinson.

From the Ronglish dictionary:

Ok, we know this one's been around for ages, but to be honest, we were a little worried it had become one of Beckham's registered trademarks, and Adidas might be round the Towers with a writ.

For Becks is challenged only by sometime teammate and fulltime amusement arcade Veron, as the undisputed king of the Hollywood Ball, an ambitious pass that practically craves the award of a spotter's badge. The problem with the Hollywood Ball is that it regularly ignores the five yard facer that would have left the little ginger fella standing empty after a great little arrive. Not to be confused with a Change Ball, though these can also harbour some LA ambitions.

RON MIGHT SAY:
I just wonder, Clive, if Beckham shouldn't get hold of it and put a threat on, instead of launching those Hollywood Balls towards the big Dutch feller.

MRS. RON MIGHT SAY:
For the love of God, Ron, what do you need another pair of cufflinks for? This isn't a Hollywood Ball we're going to.

RONGLISH POINTS: ****
Serial Ronglish-snatchers like Gray are quick to call a Hollywood Ball when they see one, although Andy's strict religious upbringing means a particularly hopeful "Hollywood" becomes a Hail Mary ball.

Last edited:

El Presidente said:
4. The centre halves are not as good as people think they are. Crespo, Ronaldinho, Henry etc. will out-think the likes of Terry and Rio easily.

Nonsense. What about when Terry faces Henry in the Premiership, Chelsea generally win. What about Chelsea beating arguably the best attacking team of all time Barcelona in the Champions League? Didn't Terry play in that game? Terry's done the business for two or three years now in the Champions League against the best players in the world. Name me ONE occasion when he's come unstuck.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Chesney throws down the GAUNTLET. Just the kind of aggressive posting I like to see.

*pulls up chair*

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Chesney Christ 1 said:
Nonsense. What about when Terry faces Henry in the Premiership, Chelsea generally win. What about Chelsea beating arguably the best attacking team of all time Barcelona in the Champions League? Didn't Terry play in that game? Terry's done the business for two or three years now in the Champions League against the best players in the world. Name me ONE occasion when he's come unstuck.

Got to go with Ches. John Terry is my all time favorite player, he is brilliant.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Chesney Christ 1 said:

Postiga did him a treat for the equaliser against England in the quarter finals in Euro 2004, Terry completely let him go.

The Champions League semi of 2004, the 2 Monaco forwards (Morientes and A N Other) gave him a torrid time and exposed his lack of pace.

Uncle Buck said:
Postiga did him a treat for the equaliser against England in the quarter finals in Euro 2004, Terry completely let him go.

The Champions League semi of 2004, the 2 Monaco forwards (Morientes and A N Other) gave him a torrid time and exposed his lack of pace.

Both examples from around 2 years when he was certainly not the player he is now.

Since the start of last season he has played against some of the best strikers in Europe For Chelsea and I don't think he's been shown up once.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Chesney Christ 1 said:
Both examples from around 2 years when he was certainly not the player he is now.

Since the start of last season he has played against some of the best strikers in Europe For Chelsea and I don't think he's been shown up once.

For England against Argentina he was pulled all over the place by Crespo.

Against Barcelona last season Chelsea conceded FOUR goals in the two matches. Just because Chelsea won 5-4 over the two legs does not mean that Terry had a brilliant performance.

Terry is also surrounded by class players such as Gallas, Makelele and Carvaliho, they make up for his lack of pace. I think he is a good English style centre half, but his game is not complete.

If given a choice I would pick Ferdinand and Woodgate in the centre, although both are Chislas

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Conkers said:
I'm not sure Sven is doing something that an English manager couldn't, for say half the wages! I say sack Sven, get in Curbishley and the money they are saving on his salary they can give to the Albion :cool:

Curbs? thats funny :lolol:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Why do you need to drop Lampard or Gerrard to accommodate King/Carrick. I thought that King looked good behind a midfield three of Beckham, Gerrard and Lampard and would stick with that. Definitely not sure that Joe Cole is the answer. This also allows Ashley Cole to get forward on the left.

In central defence, Ferdinand does not convinve me. He is too prone to errors. If fit I would play Campbell and Terry.

Give Eriksson the World Cup and if we do not look like we are making progress after that then the FA will have to think again. Until then we have to support him and the team completely. We are one of a number of teams who could win the World Cup although Brazil must be strong favourites.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Easy 10 said:
2. He can't react and make effective changes/substitutions during a match when things are going wrong or arn't working. At the highest level, he simply gets out-thought.
Up until recently I would have agreed with you there, but he now seems to changes things a bit more if it's not working. I know that there are a few on here that don't like Crouch but he now represents a 'plan B' and Sven used him that way against Argentina. Their defenders didn't like it at all and in my book that change went a long way to swinging the game in our direction.

I'll also use the same argument for Sven as I'd use regarding a number of things Albion - he's not perfect but what's the alternative? Most of the top managers in the prem are foreign, and the English ones near the top are mainly inexperienced.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Spiros said:

I'll also use the same argument for Sven as I'd use regarding a number of things Albion - he's not perfect but what's the alternative? Most of the top managers in the prem are foreign, and the English ones near the top are mainly inexperienced.

At the moment we appear to be preparing McClaren for the job which will see more of the same for ever. I'd like to see Stuart Pearce bought into the set up somewhere. I know he's not ready yet but in 5 years time I'm sure we'd then have the next 10 years sorted.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Tricky Dicky said:
My only issue with the Swede, as Easy has said, is his ability (or lack of) for making tactical changes during a game -but if he brings home the cup in the summer I may forgive him.

That accusation of a manager sounds familiar.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Spiros said:
Up until recently I would have agreed with you there, but he now seems to changes things a bit more if it's not working. I know that there are a few on here that don't like Crouch but he now represents a 'plan B' and Sven used him that way against Argentina. Their defenders didn't like it at all and in my book that change went a long way to swinging the game in our direction.
I'll wait to see him do something when it MATTERS before I buy in to the theory that he is this softly spoken tactical genius we're all led to believe...slinging on Gareth from The Office for the last 10 minutes when we were 2-1 down in a friendly does nothing to wipe the memory of him sitting on his hands as all in front of him collapsed around his ears in Japan and Portugal.

Last edited:

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Mourinho is praised week in week out by the pundits for always having the tactical nuance to make the right sub at the right time.

I think it is an essential quality for a manager in the modern game.

Pretty much everyone questions SGE's ability in this area, as previous campaigns have shown.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here