Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

5 things we learnt from the West Ham game

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Much, much better tonight. We're going to be fine even if we lose on Saturday. We are a work in progress. Tonight's thoughts:

1) We lack creativity and guile against the top teams. Vicente is already a very important player for us and was missed tonight. He might have unlocked a very stubborn West Ham defence.
2) We are still not playing to CMS strengths. Can we not put a little though balls through to him more often? He thrives on running onto forward passes. Currently, he's operating at about 50% of what he can do.
3) Reyes is a class act. Got up and down well and can pass. What future Calderon though? Something has happened between him and Gus...
4) Craig Noone needs to take a second and have a look at what is happening around him & who is on for a cross/pass. He's been brilliant this season but needs to sort this out when others are in better positions.
5) Harper is a fitting goalkeeper for us in The Championship. We need to get him signed up for the rest of the season asap with "a view to a permanent deal." Has easily got another 3 or 4 years in him.
May I be the 4th poster to say "spot on".

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Much, much better tonight. We're going to be fine even if we lose on Saturday. We are a work in progress. Tonight's thoughts:

1) We lack creativity and guile against the top teams. Vicente is already a very important player for us and was missed tonight. He might have unlocked a very stubborn West Ham defence.
2) We are still not playing to CMS strengths. Can we not put a little though balls through to him more often? He thrives on running onto forward passes. Currently, he's operating at about 50% of what he can do.
3) Reyes is a class act. Got up and down well and can pass. What future Calderon though? Something has happened between him and Gus...
4) Craig Noone needs to take a second and have a look at what is happening around him & who is on for a cross/pass. He's been brilliant this season but needs to sort this out when others are in better positions.
5) Harper is a fitting goalkeeper for us in The Championship. We need to get him signed up for the rest of the season asap with "a view to a permanent deal." Has easily got another 3 or 4 years in him.

Agree with all that. My Albion under Poyet were back last night and for that I am happy. We were the better team but did lack creativity at times and needed to quicken the passing. I know which football i'd rather watch though.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
This is still work in progress, everyone is on a learning curve, we're still a new-ish club (in terms of recovering from the previous 18 years) and just because we have a spanking new stadium, what are people demanding? Immediate results, now, now, now.

Bloody hell.

Brighton1

Jun 10, 2004
Newhaven

Totally agree with all you have said, we need to be patient I'm confident Gus knows what is required. Although I hate losing I can see the bigger picture and I'm sure the signs are good and think with a couple more players i.e. A leader such as a gerard type in midfield and a striker such as dare I say it a Murray to to feed CMS we will tear teams apart. Is it me or is AB weak and loses the ball far too often which results in good situations to us being under the cosh?

4-p

Sep 3, 2011
Shoreham
From what I saw last night - high up in the south end of the East Stand (soo quiet up there - they don't like to sing), we went back to the 433 which won us games early in the season which is why we weren't 3-0 down by half time, however for whatever reason both Sparrow and Dixie seemed to be completely lost and Barnes appeared mortally scared of the ball - or being tackled while he was on the ball.
Subsequently Sparrow and Dixie's wandering left Bridders with so much work to do and he handled in well but then when Bridders went to pass it forward he had no-one to pass to. Sparrow and Barnes kept finding themselves hiding behind their marker and when Sparrow got the ball he held onto it longer than Nooney and by the time he passed it every option was marked up.

CMS had to make his own chances by coming very deep and trying to manufacture a 1-2 from players who were often either scared to release the ball or receive it in the first place.

You could see that a big part of the reason we didn't make chances was the fact that West Ham were often sitting deep and at the same time we weren't releasing the ball quickly enough to exploit any gaps that opened anyway. If we'd sucked their back four up further, Noone and CMS would have had space to run into on the counter.
If Barnes went back to being the post got it to feet, back to goal and then quickly put it back to the midfield like Sparrow & Dixie to again quickly look for a ball down the channels we'd have looked more dangerous. In and out between the strikers and the midfield, keeping the oppo defenders on their toes would have opened the space that CMS likes to have a good pop.

I know this sounds very critical, we did only lose 1-0 to West Ham, it's not like England vs Macedonia but we had so many opportunities to really scare West ham onto the back foot and for some reason we didn't take them, when 7 games ago we'd have been all over it.
So I'm dissapointed but at the same time apart from one mistake we handled West Ham, if we can build on this better defense and start moving the ball about in the last third we could be back to our best in no time.

and yes Harper and Reyes were different gravy! And it was awesome to see Buckley back, he's really really quick but we didn't use him well enough when he came on.
Reyes read the game soo well it was beautiful,

Maybe Reyes and Bridders holding midfield together could leave room for a a more creative player to sit in the gap, like Vicente or an attacking midfielder like Sparrow or a deep forward like Barnes to have less defensive responsibilities and more link up play to put the ball through for CMS, Noone and Buckley

Matt Richards

Jan 22, 2009
Could I also add:

We effectively attack with only three players. Bridcutt has done a great job all season and had his first stinker last night. Dicker and Sparrow try hard but offer so little as an attacking threat that teams can simply double up on CMS, Noone and Barnes, making it almost impossible for them to find any room. Noone has done incredibly well but players like Nolan really highlight what we are missing in the middle of the park.

Reyes is class and highlights just what we are missing on the other side of the defence. Painter is a good defender but he is becoming more and more one-footed with every game. He kills the momentum in so many of our moves forward it is ridiculous. It is he and not Calde who needed replacing (based on footballing ability alone - I accept Calde and Gus have clearly had a lovers' tiff).

CMS needs another option alongside him. Whilst Barnes is not good enough for this level he is also clearly hampered by trying to play in a role that does not suit him. He is by no means a genuine attacking threat in the games and CMS is sturggling as a result. I think this is also exaggarated by the first point but we really need another option up front (which may or may not be Hoskins).

Remember where we are - we are bringing in class Premiership standard players (Harper and Reyes) and are gutted at not performing against a team who will almost certainly get promoted this year. Carry on being gutted as we have the potential to be even better than we are but do thank yourself that you have the most attractive football that the Seagulls have played in my lifetime. Keep it going Gus!

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Buckley had 20 mins last night and was nearly always available yet was given the ball twice I think. Didn't they want him to show them up again!

Reyes looks exactly what we need, in midfield.

Hoskins isn't fit.

When we go forward Sparrow, Dicker, Barnes, Harley hide.

CMS makes innumerable good runs looking for the ball and receives it about 1% of the time.

Randsta

Aug 8, 2011
Eastbourne
I agree with all that, especially the 'Arsenal' comment as I said exactly the same thing to my mate! However apart from the result (and the rain) I really quite enjoyed last night's game; we played some good football notwithstanding the limitations you've described.

Same here but they have possibly the best striker in the world in Van Persie!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Shrimps for sale in the East Stand sweet shop, are the best ever.

Totally grade A shrimpage.

1) West Ham will struggle to go up
2) West Ham support was pony -" I'm forever blowing bubbles " repeat ad infinitum does not make for good listening
3) The West Stand Roof works
4) The East Stand is going to get wet when it rains
5) Referees will favour "Premiership" teams.

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham

:thumbsup: great post

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Can i just add....Poyet doesn't have a plan B. He will continue to play the one style of football he knows which done him well in league one. However, he doesn't seem to be able to adapt his team to suit different opposition. This is not only apparent at the start of the game but during the game too...he doesn't seem to be able to change things accordingly. Everyone knew WHU would be quite a big, physical team and probably lump the ball to the big bloke up front....Brighton should've adapted their team.

last night we changed our formation...not helped by injuries to 7 major players, and it worked a treat....the week before, we played a different style and tore Blackpool to shreds. Don't forget that we have scored 4 goals on 4 different occasions this season so far....2 of those away from home, so hoofball is only the order of the day when needed.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010

I agree with the OP.

It seems to me that a number of posters , the media etc. don't reckon we can expect too much from our visit to St. Andrews and, if that is a totally realistic assessment, then let's lie down now, accept 'nil points' and go for damage limitation.

On the other hand, what would be wrong with going for an attacking formation ( and I am not going to start on the " So and So" is rubbish better we have ******) . Why not go for an option which would prove or disprove the theory if it is generally considered we have nothing to lose.

Only a thought !

Flavor Flav

Get those trousers off!
Jul 5, 2008
West Sussex
Our team just doesn't produce enough clear scoring chances. Not a lot we can do about that, we just need to take every chance we get and not put in loads of shit crosses constantly.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
My nagging worry is that Gus is it seems very much "do or die ",with principal . When up against a cunning old fox like Sam ,we cannot at this moment win matches. Gus could just walk if his way is found out,or the fans turn against him,or Bloom fails to back him,all very latin i know but the ONE thing that we must IMO take from the West Ham match is that staying in the division is our main target this season.........!

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Leaning your seat backwards every so often does NOT stop the person behind kicking it for the whole f***ing match.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me

Totally agree with each & every one of these points.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
While I agree there are a few issues.

1). Gus and the staff are trying to address all issues and the signing of a keeper and two internationals shows the club has massive desire.
2). Liam Bridcutt is giving the ball away far to easy and to often.
3). Dunk and Greer play the ball out far to slowly, maybe they need to step up and draw a defender rather than just play square passes enabling opposition to get eleven players behind the ball.
4). We look much better with two wingers on the pitch.
5). The home crowd appears nervous and the atmosphere is flat, I really do think this has an affect on the players.

Lots of positives but also lots to improve on, we'll get there soon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here