Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

40th Anniversay of the moon landings

Has man ever set foot on the surface of the MOON?

• Yes

Votes: 57 72.2%
  • No

Votes: 22 27.8%

• Total voters

Been watching a few programmes on this and find the subject fascinating. But the more I see the more improbable the whole thing seems to be. For example yesterday I saw footage of the moon lander blasting off the moon surface back into space for the return leg. All very exciting. But who the feck is standing on the moon surface filming it as it pans into the atmosphere? And how did those images get back to earth?

Actually, gonna make this a poll goddammit.

Oct 25, 2003
weren't the pesky RUSSIANS tracking them all the way so that they could take the piss if they failed, and even they confirmed that the yanks HAD got to the moon

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I would love it if it turned out to be made up. That would be f***ing fantastic.

The jeep thingy is my most suspect thing. Its all too James Bond. Why f***ing fire a car 1/4 million miles just to drive round for 100 odd yards or so in a comedy fashion?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Been watching a few programmes on this and find the subject fascinating. But the more I see the more improbable the whole thing seems to be. For example yesterday I saw footage of the moon lander blasting off the moon surface back into space for the return leg. All very exciting. But who the feck is standing on the moon surface filming it as it pans into the atmosphere? And how did those images get back to earth?

Actually, gonna make this a poll goddammit.

Shiver me cup cakes Lokki, are you me? I was going to put up a thread with that exact question on it! Agreed, an utterly fascinating topic.

My second question was going to be: Were any part of any of the moon landings visible from one of those enormous telescopes on Earth? Probably a naive question, but then I'm not exactly Buzz Aldrin/Patrick Moore.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I would love it if it turned out to be made up. That would be f***ing fantastic.

The jeep thingy is my most suspect thing. Its all too James Bond. Why f***ing fire a car 1/4 million miles just to drive round for 100 odd yards or so in a comedy fashion?

The lunar rover with Apolllo 17 covered something like 34km in the 3 days it was there !

What get's me, is the live feed pictures, the black and white grainy stuff image quality was so poor, but the stills were absolutely stunning. I guess the live feed had the equivalent of bandwidth issues.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The thing that makes me suspicious is that considering we supposedly had the technology and money to do this FORTY years ago, surely with all advances in tech etc we'd be up there MOST DAYS now?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
The lunar rover with Apolllo 17 covered something like 34km in the 3 days it was there !

What get's me, is the live feed pictures, the black and white grainy stuff image quality was so poor, but the stills were absolutely stunning. I guess the live feed had the equivalent of bandwidth issues.

yeah but thats like the 1966 world cup final. Bobby Moore holding the trophy and being held aloft looks like it could have been yesterday, the game itself looks like it was filmed through a sock.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
another thing I am not convinced actually happened, by the way (the 66 world cup).

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
The thing that makes me suspicious is that considering we supposedly had the technology and money to do this FORTY years ago, surely with all advances in tech etc we'd be up there MOST DAYS now?

American tax payers weren't happy with the 'astronomical' (sorry) costs to their pocket for all the missions so the Apollo program was ended.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Remotely from the Earth to a moon buggy with technology from 1969 and an apparant 6 second delay? I don't buy it.

10 frames a second ( as opposed to 30 ) and half the lines of a usual television transmission.

The camera on the buggy was controlled from the earth, they had only what the astronauts where saying to go by.

Lucky to get the shot, didn't get anything else like that on other missions.

However, if was the whole thing was shot in a studio in Balham I wouldn't be surprised either.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
American tax payers weren't happy with the 'astronomical' (sorry) costs to their pocket for all the missions so the Apollo program was ended.

Surely the equivalent costs now would be MINISCULE compared to what it would cost 40 years ago to do the same thing?

People didn't even wear shoes 40 years ago.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
It'd still be extremely expensive, and there's no real reason for it. They only did in the first place because of the cold war.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here