Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

40 years ago today....

Congratulations to LE2 - forty years an Albion fan today. His first match:

25 January 1969
FL Division 3
Albion 3 Crewe Alexandra 1

It's a notable few days for LE2 - on Tuesday his city hosts the Albion.

Maybe this thread could be used by us old'uns to mark memorable events as they happened in 1969. It's one small step for Eamonn....

Last edited:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Forty years. Well Done.

I wonder if ones ability to tolerate the ups and downs of BHA increase or decrease with the perspective of age and having watch around 1200 hours* of Brighton football?

(*Just a guess - 20 games a season, 30 hours x 40 years)

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Who's LE2? ???

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Happy Anniversary old boy!

page1jt2.jpg

page23fr0.jpg

page45us0.jpg

page67qg4.jpg

page89ey5.jpg

page1011qy3.jpg

page1213iz7.jpg

page1415le3.jpg

page16mg5.jpg

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Well done LE2 and thanks to tthose above, especially Hiney for the programme, I hope Notts has noted those Stockport pics, wasn't that your 1st game?

I was just about to do a thread on this Crewe game. I had the 'On This Day' book for Xmas and, in any such book, there are bound to be some errors so let's put that right.

It was a cold, grey, January day. Freddie Goodwin had had an amazing effect in his 3 mths or so incharge and Albion were rising up the league. He could spot a good player and had already brought in 3 solid, experinced, players in Alex Dawson, Geoff Sidebottam & Barrie Wright but now he showed his eye for talent by signing young Eddie Spearritt from Ipswich for £10k.

Spearritt was a skillfull midfielder who could also play at the back and even ended up in goal once (no sub keepers back then.) He played better at higher levels and was one of the few success's when Albion were promoted, a few years later, and went on to play in the top flight with Carlisle. He was a good looking blond lad so can somebody post a pic? Failing that, maybe a fine excuse to post a pic of his neice, Hannah, of S Club 7 fame! He was also a long throw expert

Anyway, Spearritt made his debut in this game. Albion won 3-1 with Dave Armstrong, Kit Napier and, of course, Alex Dawson scoring and the crowd was ove 11,000, pretty good for a low/mid table side who were climbing the league but still had the likes of Barrow & Southport above them. That score must have really hurt the relegation bound Crewe because it was nearly 40 years before we next beat 'em!

Well done LE2 and thanks to tthose above, especially Hiney for the programme, I hope Notts has noted those Stockport pics, wasn't that your 1st game?

Indeed it was, and they are very welcome as I have no recollection of the action, or even Stockport's orange shirts or white band. (quite unusual; not your Average White Band!)
I also have no memory of Barrie Wright (Barry White??), and only vaguely remember the name Mike Everitt, even though he was a regular fixture that season. Did he leave soon after? I was going to note how his penalty at Eastville was the only one of that season so far, but no doubt you will provide comprehensive details of a couple of missed ones!

Last edited:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Barrie Wright played in new York fo Goodwin and the same team as geoff Sidebottom. He was a defender, steady but no great shakes and made no real impression.

Mike Everitt was signed by previos manager Archie McCauley and had 2 seasons as the regular LB. Pretty steady, no nonsense. He lost his place the following season when Goodwin signed the veteran, and very classy Scottish international Willie Bell.

Not so sure on the pens. We had an awful start to the season so chances are we may have missed one and Kit Napier was the regular taker so maybe he had missed one. mind you, players did not dive around like they do now so penalties were not so common.

players did not dive around like they do now so penalties were not so common.

That's an interesting observation, but is it really true? There will be no statistics on the awarding of penalties, but those that were converted were always recorded as such, so someone may have the historical figures to prove or disprove. When watching programmes such as The Big match Revisited, I think that some of the penalties given would today result in the "victim" being awarded a yellow card instead!

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Couldn't see the likes of Alex Dawson going down as soon as a defender looked at him! mind you, he dished it out a bit. In these days he'd rarely see out the 90 mins.

Last edited:

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Goldstone Radio, ohh, those were the days :cool:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
A capital "D" for the great man in future, please, FG :annoyed:!

Of course, corrected. Wouldn't want to upset the Black Prince!

Oh and that Stockport kit was class. Did you also spot the Howard Wilkinson profile? It's funny looking back at the age of some of those players. Being a kid they just seemed 'old' to me but, of course, most were in their early 20's.

.....Hove Born & Bred was born forty years ago today! He announced it in his thread yesterday but the reaction to it is actually quite sad (especially compared to Buzzer's). Not sure exactly what the reason is, I think it must have all kicked off before I started posting regularly. Anyway, I've never had a problem with him, so I'll wish you a Happy 40th, HB&B.
The thread for derogatory posts is
Hove Born Bred Quiz time!!! - North Stand Chat

D

Deleted User X18H

Sports Arena Tongdean Lane Brighton Floodlight Rugby!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here