Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] 40 year mortgages

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
To continue, the demographic paths Japan and UK have taken have been very different. UK population was set to fall in the 1970s, but it didn't happen. Birth rates, helped by migration, began to climb, and demand for housing began to climb.

By 1999, the UK passed a milestone. It was the first year that the nation could no longer accommodate all its citizens. Since then, house prices have been a function of demand outstripping supply, and prices rising rapidly in thin volumes.

Today, societal trends that affect demand, supply and price, include a steady decrease in household size, a slowdown in the rate of household formation (due partly to necessity), and rate of housebuilding.

Be aware of local demand and supply as well. A 3-bed Victorian terrace in Fiveways, Brighton: £800,000. Same house in Newhaven: £350,000.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes, but you also declare the full rent received as income first - thank Mr Osborne for that! Meaning I pay 40% income tax and get mortgage interest relief at 20% or whatever it is these days.

So? You're better off making payments off your primary residence, allowing your rental mortgage to stay higher, and getting more tax relief.

Hmmm, more like borrow as you are not making any capital repayments

That applies to anyone using a mortgage to help buy a property. It's still your property, because if it goes up in value (or down) then it's your profit (or loss), not the banks.

This is possible but not without risk

Of course, but that applies to all investments, including the house you bought. I'm not suggesting that repayment mortgages aren't better most of the time, but the claim was that interest only mortgages are a mugs game, and that's quite simply wrong.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
There’s an article in today‘s Observer about this topic and it being seen as a “way out” of youngsters not being able to afford their first house. When the link is released I’ll post it.

This type of mortgage originated in the Netherlands a few years ago but is quickly spreading. After much consideration, I took out one of these a few years ago, with a Dutch bank, and will most likely be dead by the time the original term expires. All things considered, a lifetime flexible and totally portable mortgage seems sensible to me. There seems to be concerns with this product though.

What’s the thinking on here ? I spent ages mulling this over so I’m curious what others think.
Japan have been doing 50 year mortgages for a few years and they did at one point talk about a 100 year product that would passed down as part of an estate. Our government were also talking about 50 year mortgages in 2022…..

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I think they are a reasonable solution to the problem of insane house prices. But the actual thing we should be tackling is those prices. We cannot seriously be accepting that from now on, children have it harder than their parents did? It wasn't that long ago that you could have a totally normal job, still enjoy your life and also own a house. That's massively out of reach for most youngsters now, unless they are all happy to move to the cheaper areas (which of course will push the price up)

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The biggest problem for a lot of younger people is pulling the deposit together; I know several people in the 30-40 age group that are paying more in rent than a mortgage would be.
The government needs to be pushing the banks to provide mortgages with much lower deposit requirements.

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
There’s an article in today‘s Observer about this topic and it being seen as a “way out” of youngsters not being able to afford their first house. When the link is released I’ll post it.

This type of mortgage originated in the Netherlands a few years ago but is quickly spreading. After much consideration, I took out one of these a few years ago, with a Dutch bank, and will most likely be dead by the time the original term expires. All things considered, a lifetime flexible and totally portable mortgage seems sensible to me. There seems to be concerns with this product though.

What’s the thinking on here ? I spent ages mulling this over so I’m curious what others think.
I'm sure the Germans have a similar thing, in regards to mortgages, where it's up to 35 years ???
When I lived in Germany in the late 90s, I'm sure there were mortgages that were passed onto family members ???

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Japan have been doing 50 year mortgages for a few years and they did at one point talk about a 100 year product that would passed down as part of an estate. Our government were also talking about 50 year mortgages in 2022…..
The product I have can be transferred to others.

Thinking about this a bit more, I guess it is good business for the bank as they can retain customers long term if they keep the products within the mortgage reasonably competitive.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The biggest problem for a lot of younger people is pulling the deposit together; I know several people in the 30-40 age group that are paying more in rent than a mortgage would be.
The government needs to be pushing the banks to provide mortgages with much lower deposit requirements.
this was tried in 00's, it didn't go all that well.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It’s the opposite - banks will get hammered by the regulators if they let LTV ratios get too high.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
So? You're better off making payments off your primary residence, allowing your rental mortgage to stay higher, and getting more tax relief.
You are best off being mortgaged as much as possible on the investment property but of course, loan to value affects interest rate so it is a balance.

I admire your bravery, going for an interest only mortgage to buy a bigger / better property, I also heard of someone doing the same 20 or so years ago. As far as I know, they did or planned to downsize at the last minute and buy outright with the equity they had built up during the years. As mentioned earlier in this thread, capital growth has slowed dramatically in recent years making the gains lower.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I admire your bravery, going for an interest only mortgage to buy a bigger / better property, I also heard of someone doing the same 20 or so years ago. As far as I know, they did or planned to downsize at the last minute and buy outright with the equity they had built up during the years. As mentioned earlier in this thread, capital growth has slowed dramatically in recent years making the gains lower.

Not brave in my case, we it was a while back. I'm just saying each situation is different.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
If you think about it, the rentals that exist on the market, if mortgage-backed, only exist as rentals because the landlord can make a post-tax profit because the rent exceeds the mortgage!

Therefore it follows, that a substantial number of renters in whatever age group you look at, will be paying more in rent than a mortgage would be. They are what have created the buy to let market.

The problem for younger people, ultimately, is that there are too many of them. And they are chasing too few properties in both the rental and owner-occupied tenures.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
The product I have can be transferred to others.

Thinking about this a bit more, I guess it is good business for the bank as they can retain customers long term if they keep the products within the mortgage reasonably competitive.
May I ask, is this product a residential mortgage or a buy to let mortgage? Asking for a friend.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That's not true. As one example. if you buy a property to let it out, you can claim tax credit on your mortgage interest payments, and it's not helpful if those payments go down because you have a repayment mortgage.

Another example would be if you can buy the property you want with an interest only mortgage, but couldn't with a repayment mortgage.

Another example is when you're able to invest the money you save in a better way than paying off your mortgage.

Worth noting thar BTL interest tax relief is restricted to the 20% basic rate only.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
If you think about it, the rentals that exist on the market, if mortgage-backed, only exist as rentals because the landlord can make a post-tax profit because the rent exceeds the mortgage!

Therefore it follows, that a substantial number of renters in whatever age group you look at, will be paying more in rent than a mortgage would be. They are what have created the buy to let market.

The problem for younger people, ultimately, is that there are too many of them. And they are chasing too few properties in both the rental and owner-occupied tenures.
I disagree . . . A letting market has always existed but in the last 30 years its become a debt driven industry/business rather than a long slow return on investment/inhreritance . . . . greedy boomers have helped create more of a problem for their own children/grandchildren.

the buy to let industry has created the problem and should have been hammered early doors . . . . . But ther nation having flogged off its housing stock and then MP's with property portfolios having backed development schemes and got in on the cheap wouldn't have that would they.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I think 40 year mortgages will help youngsters but I’m not sure it’s a novel idea. My wife’s first mortgage (34 years ago) was for 35 years on the much maligned endowment basis. The policy matures soon and it whilst we stopped using it for paying off the mortgage some time ago, it will be interesting to see if the value exceeds the mortgage…….though I’m not holding my breath, because it won’t!

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
I know several people in the 30-40 age group that are paying more in rent than a mortgage would be.
Currently in the process of buying my first home and the mortgage for a 1 bed is £200 p/m less expensive than the tiny studio I'm renting. It's honestly pretty ridiculous that in this country it's now the norm to be spending more paying off landlords mortgage and having nothing to show for it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here