Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

40% cuts

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Because education is being restricted. There's real examples in this thread of departments being cut and staff who supplied certain elements of schooling being chopped. HKFC spoke about a games teacher for example.

You are quite right, in that he did and I replied that what he wrote is highly unlikely to be the case, with so much inspection of teachers' lessons nowadays. There would be all sorts of official warnings, if the PE situation was as he portrayed. You are desperate to believe what you want to believe, my friend. Trust me, as I work as a clerk to governing bodies and type out and send out all the stats, and listen to how heads exhort teachers to up their game.
I don't wish to be rude or give offence but you do delight in giving smart answers, and yet the thread on the election result showed that your assessment on something on which, like education, you are not totally qualified to comment on, can be suspect. That does not remove your right to an opinion, of course. It is all very well saying that I have got friends in the UK etc etc, but that is not a substitute for being here. You might like to look back at your response to Big Gully who wrote eminently sensibly about his wife's experiences as a Deputy Head. You responded by confirming that you would much rather listen to parents than a teacher talking to her husband. Yet when I asked you as to why you should be qualified to speak on education matters, one reason that you gave to justify your "expertise" was that your wife taught in schools . . . .

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
You are quite right, in that he did and I replied that what he wrote is highly unlikely to be the case, with so much inspection of teachers' lessons nowadays. There would be all sorts of official warnings, if the PE situation was as he portrayed. You are desperate to believe what you want to believe, my friend. Trust me, as I work as a clerk to governing bodies and type out and send out all the stats, and listen to how heads exhort teachers to up their game.
I don't wish to be rude or give offence but you do delight in giving smart answers, and yet the thread on the election result showed that your assessment on something on which, like education, you are not totally qualified to comment on, can be suspect. That does not remove your right to an opinion, of course. It is all very well saying that I have got friends in the UK etc etc, but that is not a substitute for being here. You might like to look back at your response to Big Gully who wrote eminently sensibly about his wife's experiences as a Deputy Head. You responded by confirming that you would much rather listen to parents than a teacher talking to her husband. Yet when I asked you as to why you should be qualified to speak on education matters, one reason that you gave to justify your "expertise" was that your wife taught in schools . . . .

You know he lives in Germany, right? Not on the bloody moon!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No HKFC's example was not a teacher, just an added activity provider that originally wasnt there.

Someone within his school decided that it was an unnecessary service that perhaps didnt represent value for money or whatever.

I am a little surprised that if the demand was there that otherways weren't found to retain him.

He ceased to exist, effectively. The School Sports Partnership was scrapped, so there would have been no means to recruit his services, save for the school to directly employ him - something they had no budget to do.

And despite Hastings Gull's confidence in the quality of the previous teaching, I can assure you 100% that it was not as he paints. A 'PE lesson' delivered by one of the nice 50-something teachers would consist of playing catch with a bean bag, or skipping. I think Ofsted counts this as 'macro motor skills' or some such. (I too have a wife at the front end of education).

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
cut mp's salaries , for a start then cut the cheese , biscuit , pinot , bubbly , bell boy , lubricant , fish-net , stilletto , fruit , latex allowance , also any private income to be declared and deducted from parliamentary pay if not taxed at top rate........time the pricks realised what it's like to be on the receiving end ......*nts,,,!

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Why if an Englishman lives abroad does he suddenly have his memory wiped of all experiences in the UK, the ability to read or watch English news disappears and most importantly why are they no longer allowed an opinion on UK affairs. I mean, heavens to Murgatroyd, there are people on here who have never set foot in countries they spout off about continually.

Do you not think that this might just be rather extreme? At no point as it been stated by me, or indeed anyone that I can recall, that people are not entitled to an opinion - of course they are. And yes, you are right in that people do sound off about about other countries. The point is that one has to be wary of their assessment by and large, as there is no substitute for boots on the ground, so to speak. Everyone's views are important as this is a forum.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
He ceased to exist, effectively. The School Sports Partnership was scrapped, so there would have been no means to recruit his services, save for the school to directly employ him - something they had no budget to do.

And despite Hastings Gull's confidence in the quality of the previous teaching, I can assure you 100% that it was not as he paints. A 'PE lesson' delivered by one of the nice 50-something teachers would consist of playing catch with a bean bag, or skipping. I think Ofsted counts this as 'macro motor skills' or some such. (I too have a wife at the front end of education).

OK, thanks. So what happened to this teacher then? Was she given "Requires improvement" and is she on the list of those with official warnings? Because, sure as eggs, her teaching will have been monitored.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
OK, thanks. So what happened to this teacher then? Was she given "Requires improvement" and is she on the list of those with official warnings? Because, sure as eggs, her teaching will have been monitored.

Not one teacher - an entire teaching body of 8-9 middle-aged ladies, who whilst excellent in other areas, all saw PE as an (un)necessary evil. One in particular, really would just scrap it, particularly in poor weather, and do extra RE or history instead. My own lads who love their sport, found it very frustrating.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Total estimated cost of MP's to the UK before pension is £148,180,000 pa. Could probably make some cuts there.

Considering this estimate includes expenses and staffing its not a great amount for running a country is it.

what areas do you suggest are cut?and what is the estimate amount of your savings?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Uncalled for. It just gets tedious when people on here grasp at anything to discredit someone's point of view rather than strengthen their own argument.

That has to be the ultimate in irony, coming from your self, Look at what I am responding to from you,then think about whether it was really just a good old innocent point of view . .

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Not one teacher - an entire teaching body of 8-9 middle-aged ladies, who whilst excellent in other areas, all saw PE as an (un)necessary evil. One in particular, really would just scrap it, particularly in poor weather, and do extra RE or history instead. My own lads who love their sport, found it very frustrating.

Ok, point taken. I do recall from my own days at school feeling how disappointed I was when Games was cancelled due to "bad weather" and feeling, correctly or not, that the teacher just did not want to go out. However, the Headteacher should be on top of this.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I suppose there is no harm in reviewing spending, but 40% is absurd. You can't dress it up - 40% is an utter decimation of resources in anyone's language.

Well, in the languages I know, a ten percent cut is a decimation. 40 percent is four times worse.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

But what difference does it make? Do I have to stand next to the school when my friend is telling me about something? Of course not. So being 1 or 700 miles away doesn't make any difference. If anything witnessing schooling across Europe surely makes me a better judge? And yes my wife is one example. But I have friends and acquaintances from many schooling angles both as parents of students and employees.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Presumably the school's governors are asking hard questions of the school's recruitment process such that they've found themselves in what seems to be such a shocking position with regard to the provision a skilled PE teacher? Sounds appalling, quite frankly, particularly now their get out clause has been taken away.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Uncalled for. It just gets tedious when people on here grasp at anything to discredit someone's point of view rather than strengthen their own argument.

"All Tory voters should hang their heads in shame" would seem to fall into that bracket.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No HKFC's example was not a teacher, just an added activity provider that originally wasnt there.

Someone within his school decided that it was an unnecessary service that perhaps didnt represent value for money or whatever.

I am a little surprised that if the demand was there that otherways weren't found to retain him.

Surprised? You can have all the parental demand you like but if the cash isn't there then you can't employ someone.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Considering this estimate includes expenses and staffing its not a great amount for running a country is it.

what areas do you suggest are cut?and what is the estimate amount of your savings?

I'd take 10% off all MP's wages.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
It is a seperate discussion, tbh - the ethics as well as economic decisions on our foreign aid contributions.

It is worth noting that in size they are really NOT very significant against the levels of 'savings' currently being evaluated. Politically of course, they are massively significant.

I put foreign aid forward as an example where the budget could be cut by 40% without any serious impact on society. Its clearly not the case that 40% cuts anywhere necessarily have a serious detrimental effect on society. Mr "Brooon" managed to employ an additional 500,000 people in the public sector during his "reign" as chancellor.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here