Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

40% cuts

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Forced by double redundancies. Strictly speaking for a period of six months our budget dropped 80%. How do you deal with it - well our shopping was slashed from £500+ a month for a family of five to £50 ( and yes it is possible but very boring ). All luxuries went out the window. We slash our gas and electric consumption by about 25% ( Mrs Westdene got more than a tad annoyed with my evangelical habit of turning things off - you know, if you put timer plugs on freezers and fridges you can set them to only be on for every other hour and everything is OK ? ). Went into mortgage arrears and we were given a little money every now and then by family members.

You'll be amazed how 40% feels entirely possible once you've dealt with 80% !

Who are the UK's "family members" who will bung Gideon a few quid when it starts to bite then?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Seeing as Gideon is arguably the third most important/powerful person in the UK (after HRH and the PM), is at the helm of the 6th biggest economy in the world, and will go on to be very rich and lead a comfortable life, and be able to pass on much of this to his kids, where does your assessment place you in the pecking order?

Firmly and squarely in my place. That's how it works.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
there wont be cuts of 40%. this is just headlines, the 25-40% then noted is a completely different proposition, and thats over 5 years. so what the story really is, 5% cuts per year. even that doesn't tally with the given an amount of £20bn, quite easily over 5 years through below inflation rises.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I do find your description odd that a reduction in after school options should result in two less GCSEs. GCSE courses should not rely on anything done after school, and feel sure that there is more to this. It is highly unlikely that class sizes will go to 40, and I am sure that you do not have any evidence for this, other than, again, wildly claiming something to add some credence.

The school has for years provided (and funded) what they term 'Twilight' lessons, in arts subjects, to allow able and committed pupils to gain art / drama / dance / etc GCSEs by attending additional weekly lessons, outside of the core school hours. My older son availed of this opportunity and subsequently gained two A* grade GCSEs above what will be available to his brother, as the school have now removed this option to save resources.

Please don't assume that people are making things up just because you don't know what they are talking about.

I'm not knocking the school one little bit, just to be clear - they have tough decisions to make. It is one of the very best State comprehensives in the country. We are very lucky.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Jeeeez, listen to yourself.

The protected departments are not included in the proposed cuts, education, NHS, security and overseas aid, so then why are you and others citing these as departments that will be effected.
HKFC talked about councils and schools. Well according to the published review, the NHS and per-pupil school funding are protected, but little else. HKFC was talking about cuts on after school funding, not per-pupil funding.

Now I realise you don't have sufficient intelligence to properly dissect information you're being given, but it's a pity you can't curtail your spite as a result.
I think maybe you are the one who should listen to yourself before posting drivel?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
The school has for years provided (and funded) what they term 'Twilight' lessons, in arts subjects, to allow able and committed pupils to gain art / drama / dance / etc GCSEs by attending additional weekly lessons, outside of the core school hours. My older son availed of this opportunity and subsequently gained two A* grade GCSEs above what will be available to his brother, as the school have now removed this option to save resources.

Please don't assume that people are making things up just because you don't know what they are talking about.

I'm not knocking the school one little bit, just to be clear - they have tough decisions to make. It is one of the very best State comprehensives in the country. We are very lucky.

Exactly how, other than school policy have these proposed cuts effected that option to access these twilight sessions, education is protected from any cuts.

It seems likely that the school has decided, rightly or wrongly that their resources would be better spent elsewhere.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
HKFC talked about councils and schools. Well according to the published review, the NHS and per-pupil school funding are protected, but little else. HKFC was talking about cuts on after school funding, not per-pupil funding.

Now I realise you don't have sufficient intelligence to properly dissect information you're being given, but it's a pity you can't curtail your spite as a result.
I think maybe you are the one who should listen to yourself before posting drivel?

You didnt even know there were protected departments when you entered quite abusively the debate.

Backtrack as much as you want, but it aint gonna wash with me, mate.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I see these announcements as nothing more than the party trying to judge the mood of the nation. As said by one poster the cuts themselves will be nowhere near 40%. If they are, well, we are in a lot of trouble indeed.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Exactly how, other than school policy have these proposed cuts effected that option to access these twilight sessions, education is protected from any cuts.

It seems likely that the school has decided, rightly or wrongly that their resources would be better spent elsewhere.

No it's not - only the pupil premium is protected. Believe it or not schools get some of their budget from other government and local government sources which HAVE been cut.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You didnt even know there were protected departments when you entered quite abusively the debate.

Backtrack as much as you want, but it aint gonna wash with me, mate.
Haha, hypocritical as well as completely wrong. I initiated this debate, I started the threat you simpleton. I took umbrage at the way you abusively entered the debate. This is what I mean when I say you are not very unintelligent despite the fact you seem to think you are.

And I'm not your mate. (Probably something you often hear)

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Just to clarify for you, this option has been removed as the school tightens its belt due to existing cuts. Nothing to do with the proposed further cuts, except to illustrate the actual REAL decisions that are having to be made by schools.

I'll give another EXISTING REAL example if you like. The primary school that the two lads went to is a small one. Amongst its staff are no dedicated PE teachers. In fact to a (wonderful, hard-working) lady they are midle aged, experienced teachers, with zero interest, aptitute or physical ability to teach 6-11 year olds about sport or exercise. 'PE lessons' would at best just be like an extra play-time, and at worst binned off altogether.

To counter this, the head teacher brought in a young chap from the Schools Sport Partnership. Effectivelythe guy worked as the PE teacher at three local schools splitting his time equally between them, providing proper lessons to the children, and enabling the school's teachers to concentrate on what they are good at. It was an excellent arrangement, and the kids loved it.

It doesn't happen anymore. The SSP got scrapped to save money. The chap in question lost his job, and the kids are back to playing catch.

You can continue to shoot down everything you hear, and I'll continue to describe small, but genuine examples of the effects of funding cuts.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I'll give the Tories this, they've got some sack announcing this a week after accepting a 10% pay rise.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

I am sorry, my friend, if you took it this way -I did not assume that you are making this up in the slightest, and as a teacher in comprehensives for 35 years, I suspected that what you then wrote would be the case, and that is what I meant. On the idea of assumptions , to which you refer, you are a parent, and I did the job for a lifetime -who should be lecturing whom on "they don't know what they are talking about" . . .
I am slightly confused by what you are writing, by the way - are you saying that Art and Drama are not on the curriculum, and that to do them, you have to attend after-school sessions, because this sounds odd. I have never encountered a school which does not offer Art at least to GCSE.
I realise that you are not knocking the school, of course.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Not quite - you asked Tory voters what they thought. I was pleasantly surprised to see the likes of yourself and HKFC giving their opinion.
That is true. I am genuinely more interested in the thoughts of Tory voters on these proposals than in the views of those more centre of left leaning. I didn't express that properly though.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
No it's not - only the pupil premium is protected. Believe it or not schools get some of their budget from other government and local government sources which HAVE been cut.

Ok how much budget from your local school has been cut.

My wife went to school today as a teacher and is not aware of any impacting cuts, the business manager is still writing cheques, for a multitude of resources, I think she sanctioned the purchase of a couple of samba goals this week.

Pupil Premium I think is ensuring that deemed 'poor' pupils can access a full itinerary of activities and teaching support and I think they are entitled to it for seven years, irrespective of any change in their circumstances during that period.

It is about delivering high level service within a targeted budget, everyone else has the same challenge, it seems to me quite reasonable to me.

Budgets are tight, they're are challenging but to me wholly necessary.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Ok how much budget from your local school has been cut.

Go and ask the 16 staff at Patcham High School who are at risk of redundancy due to the staffing budget being cut.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I am sorry, my friend, if you took it this way -I did not assume that you are making this up in the slightest, and as a teacher in comprehensives for 35 years, I suspected that what you then wrote would be the case, and that is what I meant. On the idea of assumptions , to which you refer, you are a parent, and I did the job for a lifetime -who should be lecturing whom on "they don't know what they are talking about" . . .
I am slightly confused by what you are writing, by the way - are you saying that Art and Drama are not on the curriculum, and that to do them, you have to attend after-school sessions, because this sounds odd. I have never encountered a school which does not offer Art at least to GCSE.
I realise that you are not knocking the school, of course.

The opportunity is still there to choose any of these subjects within their normal option choices, yes. The thinking was that hard-working, more able pupils, were seen to not want to limit their choices of academic subjects, to accomodate an art, so the school funded the Twilight courses, so they could do them as well, rather than instead of.

The pupils for their part had to be committed - to do a subject involved a two-hour lesson after school every week, with absolutely compulsory attendance, and a large degree of self-study. It wasn't a 'free' bonus GCSE.

I'm not complaining about the school's decision, to be very clear - more the reasons they've been forced to make it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here