Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

4-4-2. Is it really the answer?

whitestrat

Dec 19, 2012
Hello Everyone

I’m a long time viewer of NSC but I’ve never got round to posting before – mainly because there’s always such a variety of views on offer that any point I’d like to make gets made by someone else before I feel the need to register and post myself.

One thing I have noticed, however, is the number of posters who seem convinced that 4-4-2 is the answer to us turning from an upper mid-table team to real challengers for promotion. The ‘team for x’ threads always have loads of people who think 2 up front is the answer for our goal scoring problems and the ‘which striker should we buy’ ones seem to have many posters arguing for a partner for CMS rather than a replacement (or at least competition).

Many football writers / managers have argued that 4-4-2 is becoming redundant in the modern game (rather than it just being a formation that Gus ‘refuses’ to play out of some sort of stubbornness). In the last 10-20 years the changing modern interpretation of the offside law has allowed strikers to hang around in an offside position, knowing they won’t be penalised unless a ball is actually played directly to them. This has allowed them to position themselves further forward and come on side just at the right time (Van Nistleroy was a master of this). Defenders have therefore had to play deeper to counter this and a wider gap has consequently appeared between a team’s defence and attack.

Playing 4-4-2 means that there are only 2 central midfielders in a large gap, who are at risk of being overrun. Teams therefore need to set up with 4 lines of outfield players rather than the traditional three to avoid this gap, perhaps explaining why most successful teams play a 4-2-3-1 type formation, or at least 4-3-3 / 4-5-1 with central midfielders having a distinct midfield role (e.g. holding midfielder or attacking midfielder / ‘no.10’). Man City won the title last season with 4-2-3-1 and Chelsea won the European Cup with the same formation. Barcelona play with 1 centre forward, as have all the Mourinho teams. In fact, I can’t think of a modern successful team that plays 4-4-2.

In my opinion, I really don’t think 4-4-2 would work for us at all. Bridcutt would become isolated as the sole defensive midfielder, and if Hammond / Crofts / whoever came deep to help, the strikers would end up with no service as there’d be a huge gap between the strikers and midfielders. Taking chances wouldn’t be the problem so much as creating them.

Sorry for the essay – got a bit carried away with my first post! Anyone else agree that 4-4-2 is not the answer, or can anyone argue why they think that we could make it work with our players?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that 4 -5-1 is the ideal formation provided the wide men in the 5 can get forward and make it 4-3-3 or even one of the central ones to make it 4-2-4 if attacking and then revert back to 4-5-1-for defending.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
you need to think about 4-4-2 as being more 4-1-3-2 or 4-4-1-1 these days, more fluid in attack and the banks of 4 is for defence. 4-3-3 risks being too narrow unless its really 4-5-1 as BensGrandad puts it. when you start that sort of dynamic formation, it needs players who understand the tactical nuances of whats required, such as an inside forward who knows to press and move back to midfield to defend when possession is lost. 4-2-3-1 needs top players with wingers who triple up as midfield and strikers, and fullbacks that are really wingers - not many of them in the Championship.

btw, Chelsea won the championship with 6-3-1 :lolol: seriously, it only worked because the players had high technical ability to retain the ball long enough to advance and the formidable Drogba as an outlet.

whitestrat

Dec 19, 2012
Thanks for the response guys. I agree that the formations have to be fluid. 4-4-2 can easily be 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 by strikers dropping deep and wingers playing more like inside forwards. Personally I think we are 1 player away from being able to play the 4-2-3-1 as our (successful) default formation. Buckley and Lua Lua's abilties to cut in and finish would suggest they have the ability to be the attacking central midfielders / strikers you talk about and I'd say in Bridge and Bruno we have fullbacks that can attack as well as any in the Championship. Having a striker who can consistently hold up the ball well (in terms of just having a good touch rather than being a 6'4" lump) is the only thing we seem to miss. I'd rather we go down this route than look for a partner for CMS to play a 4-4-2.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here