beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Emperor's new technology.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
As briefly mentioned above, glasses free 3D is only a year or two away. Personally i'm sitting tight, I love having the latest tech but my Pioneer Plasma is still going strong and I really can't justify just dumping it for 3D!

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
As briefly mentioned above, glasses free 3D is only a year or two away. Personally i'm sitting tight, I love having the latest tech but my Pioneer Plasma is still going strong and I really can't justify just dumping it for 3D!

Don't get me wrong, I love mine. But in your position, I'd be the same. I would only upgrade if your TV is kput. My Samsung gave up the ghost, which is why I got the 3D. I have always had Samsung tv's, but the quality from the LG is stunning.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
None of the major TV manufacturers were plugging 3D at CES in Las Vegas two weeks ago , 3 of them didn't make any reference whatsoever to 3D on their presentation stands for their 2012 lineup but focussed on smart tv apps and 4k2k . The new shiny toy is OLED TV

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Bought a Panasonic 42 inch plasma 3D jobby in May. Love it. The TV is wonderful.

I've just sold the 3D glasses on ebay and got myself a hundred quid. Used it twice in 8 months...

Smile

Aug 19, 2011
I have a 3D Samsung Tv and it is has a superb picture and the 3d is very good, however the only thing I would say is 3d is a bit limited unless you are viewing on a very large screen. Projectors are the way forward if you have a very large room, something like the Optoma HD33 which is cheaper than many high quality 3D Tvs.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Decisions, decisions, how to decide.

I have a PS3 and Xbox kinect, does that alter things?

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
I was always very sceptical of 3D, and put off even trying it out for ages - palming it off as just some gimmick.

But I've now tried it and was blown away (and I not often am) by the 3D effects, much much better than I expected. But I don't know if it's just me and my shitty eyes, but I find it really hard to focus properly (I can't see it crisply, it's a bit blurry) and it gives me a blinding headache! Probably just me.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I was always very sceptical of 3D, and put off even trying it out for ages - palming it off as just some gimmick.

But I've now tried it and was blown away (and I not often am) by the 3D effects, much much better than I expected. But I don't know if it's just me and my shitty eyes, but I find it really hard to focus properly (I can't see it crisply, it's a bit blurry) and it gives me a blinding headache! Probably just me.

I don't think that is just you, others have mentioned it.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I've got one but you don't have to have 3D on all the time and 3D glasses get recharged with a USB.
There is a feature on my TV where you can watch normal films with a 3D effect which is quite effective on some films.
It also has WiFi, so if the game is televised I can watch it on 55" LED screen, excellent.

FOOTSKI

Sep 30, 2010
Kent
I got a panasonic viera 42" 3dtv this week and just the change in picture quality compared to my old 37" viera i brought 2 years ago is massive. The 3d is great for gaming and the graphics on the football the other night were outstanding. Yes it's still abit strange wearing glasses but i'm loving it.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
in all seriousness, 3D is a gimmick, but if you like it, wait 2-3 years and get a parallax-barrier 3D tv, toshiba (i think) have already developed a completely passive 3D tv which requires no glasses, for up to 10 users. it uses face-tracking cameras to adjust the 3D effect for each individual viewer. ATM these cost something like $10,000 but when other firms start to make them, and the production cost falls they will be around the same price as current top-end 3D TVs.

Toshiba's glasses-free 3D 4K2K TV launches in Europe as the ZL2 this December -- Engadget

Withnail

Jan 16, 2004
Lincoln
I picked one up a couple of weeks ago and I absolutely love it. I agree with what some others have said, content is a bit limited at the mo but as you've got a PS3 there are plenty of good games that support 3D. Uncharted 3 is breathtaking. Arkham City and the latest Assassins Creed also look brilliant. Movie wise the best looking movies are the animated kids ones like Toy Story 3 and Up though Coraline should be a definite purchase. Don't go for a cheaper older model, you'll regret it.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
I find it ok but I've discovered that I very rarely, actually 'watch' TV.
at the moment, I'm having Lunch, with the tennis on and reading NSC.
When you have 3d on you can't do this, it is more like an event, where you can't do anything else but watch TV.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
So I went to John Lewis and had a good look at the 3D TVs. Some fantastic looking ones for around £4k, which is about £3k over my budget :)

Having said that, there were several non-3D TVs that had a stunningly good picture too. The question is, is it worth paying a few hundred more so that I can play Uncharted 3 on a 3D TV.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Agreed. Made my eyes feel itchy after a while.

Also, being a TWAT that wears glasses meant I was wearing TWO pairs of glasses, which is frankly Chronicles of RIDICULOUS.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here