Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

£300k Glenn Murray signed on basis of a warm up

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Yeah I guess so but to say you were 'almost convinced' from a warm up is still rather shocking!

Does the phrase "tongue in cheek" mean anything to you?

federicoed-up

Feb 7, 2008
What's interesting about this is when I am watching the warm ups - in particular the shooting practice against Michel/John, is that certain individuals either 'have it' or they simply don't.

In the warm up where they play a one-two with Dean White before shooting at goal, certain players do certain things every single time. Some of our midfielders who aren't natural goalscorers usually shoot at a comfortable height straight at the keeper.. natural goalscorers like Foz find the BOTTOM corner of the net.. a player like Jake will try and bend it in the top corner (and usually succeed)..

The point I'm trying to make is that you can pretty much tell if a striker is any good at finishing from that one 5 minute warm up alone.. from the way they approach and strike the ball and their overall confidence about scoring goals! I imagine if Murray scored all 10 shots on goals in different ways he immediately caught the eye of Barry Lloyd.

What's interesting about this is when I am watching the warm ups - in particular the shooting practice against Michel/John, is that certain individuals either 'have it' or they simply don't.

In the warm up where they play a one-two with Dean White before shooting at goal, certain players do certain things every single time. Some of our midfielders who aren't natural goalscorers usually shoot at a comfortable height straight at the keeper.. natural goalscorers like Foz find the BOTTOM corner of the net.. a player like Jake will try and bend it in the top corner (and usually succeed)..

Why doesn't Jake Robinson take free-kicks from outside the box, if he usually hits the target top-corners?

Let's not overlook the fact that we have only seen Murray 'warm up' as well.
Every player tries to impress on their debut, and Murray scored a couple of nice close-up goals.

It's great that he looks good, but until he's made a few and scored a few more interesting openings than those, I'll reserve judgement thanks.

federicoed-up

Feb 7, 2008
Why doesn't Jake Robinson take free-kicks from outside the box, if he usually hits the target top-corners?

It's the same thing that stops him from taking 'the next step' - as with most players at our level, and really pushing on to have 'that something else'.. SO many kids in the various academies across the country have immense potential and may look great on the training pitch, or even when on trial (Albert Jarrett) but can't actually do it ON the pitch in a match situation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here