Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

£300k Glenn Murray signed on basis of a warm up

O Lads

Dec 16, 2004
Revealed: How Albion tracked Murray
By Andy Naylor
Comment
Barry Lloyd has revealed how a warm-up at Macclesfield was enough to convince him of the talent of Albion's new goal hope Glenn Murray.

Lloyd, the Seagulls' chief scout and former boss, went to see for himself the young striker he had received encouraging reports about when Rochdale visited Moss Rose at the end of December What he saw, both before and during a 2-2 draw in which Murray grabbed a late equaliser, persuaded him that Albion should swoop for the 24-year-old during the January transfer window.

Lloyd revealed: "I was almost convinced by the end of the warm-up.

advertisement
"I like to get to games to see players in the warm-up.

"You can almost tell then whether they have got the enthusiasm and first touch you are looking for, whether everything connects completely.

"Halfway through the warm-up I had a really good feeling that this lad was going to tick a few boxes and he didn't disasppoint.

"I saw him play and I wanted to put him in the car and bring him straight back down with me!

"It was his general play, the way he moved, the way he recognised things very early.

"From that moment on I discussed it with Dean (manager Dean Wilkins) and Dick (chairman Dick Knight) and it was a serious goer."

The origins of Murray's £300,000 move last month - the biggest fee forked out by Albion for 25 years - can be traced back to September and Lloyd's first few weeks in the post which brought him back to the club after a 14-year gap.

His first task was to re-establish a scouting network.

Lloyd made contact with Graham Bishop in Sheffield and Pat Lynch in Blackburn, scouts Albion had used before but who had become neglected in the absence of a proper set-up.

Lloyd asked if there were any players they had compiled reports on which had not been followed up. Bishop sent down copies of reports on half a dozen, including Murray.

That alerted Lloyd. He asked around and discovered that Martin Hinshelwood, his assistant when he was Albion manager and now the club's director of football, watched Murray last season.

"Martin gave him the nod," Lloyd said. "I sent the guys back into Rochdale to watch him, had decent reports back and then I went up there.

"I went back and watched him against Lincoln a couple of weeks later, then I sent Pat Lynch to give an independent view, because he hadn't seen him.

"Pat rang me up straight after the game and said what ever you do, buy him', which was quite nice.

"I sent Graham again as well. He rung me up and said the place was absolutely packed with scouts. They took Glenn off and then all the scouts left!

"It then came down to the valuation and Dick and I talked on more than one occasion, because it was a lot of money to us and we didn't know at that stage that we were going to get money back from fees for Dean Hammond, Alex Revell and Nathan Elder.

"It was a commitment. As far as we were concerned nobody was leaving us and we were going to bring one or two in.

"I was really quite pleased that we managed to get him on board."

Murray was destined for the south coast, even when Rochdale manager Keith Hill suggested in his desperation to hold onto his atttacking spearhead that the Cumbrian-born marksman would be reluctant to move the length of the country.

"It is funny how things work out," Lloyd said. "When I looked into Glenn's history I realised he played out in America for a pal of mine, based in Los Angeles.

"I rang him and he gave an indication of the lad's character. We had to determine whether or not Glenn was prepared to come south.

"When we put the first bid in there was a lot of stuff on the website and in the papers that he was a northern lad and wouldn't want to come.

"Through my pal in the States we touched base. We didn't talk to him, just touched base, and he gave us really positive signs that he would be interested in talking."

7:51pm today

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
That's not really what the article is saying - he's saying that he saw him at the warm up and was impressed, and then he turned out to be good enough by the end of the match!

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Thank you Graham Bishop :thumbsup:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Well done Bazza. Always had an eye for a bargain.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Yeah I guess so but to say you were 'almost convinced' from a warm up is still rather shocking!

Why? I guess in the warm up you get to see level of fitness, passing abilities, passion for the game. When it comes to the game, you can see whether that is reflected - no?

MOG

Miserable Old Git
Dec 16, 2007
Off My Trolley.
The main point that stands out, for me, from that article is that we seem to have an efficient scouting network in place. If so, this can only be a good sign for the future.

larus

Why? I guess in the warm up you get to see level of fitness, passing abilities, passion for the game. When it comes to the game, you can see whether that is reflected - no?

I fully agree BAG. You get to see the body language, whether they listen, keep focussed. If they can do these things in a training/warm-up session, it's extremely likely that it will be there for the match.

Ths usual crap healine from Naylor.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Barry Lloyd signed what turned out to be my all-time favourite player, ever. Far as I'm concerned, the fella gets it right 9 times out of 10, thats good enough for me.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Barry Lloyd signed what turned out to be my all-time favourite player, ever. Far as I'm concerned, the fella gets it right 9 times out of 10, thats good enough for me.

I'll second that....I take it you mean Budgie.

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
Ths usual crap healine from Naylor.

Andy Naylors article is titled "Revealed: How Albion tracked Murray" It's the thread starter who titled it "£300k Glenn Murray signed on basis of a warm up" :rolleyes:

Fantastic article tho, a decent bit of information as the the process of signing what looks to be a fantastic player!

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
But would Barry Lloyd have recommended Turienzo or Paul Kitson ?
Takes genius to do that (or a dodgy DVD) !

Did he not sign NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNogan great player and when he scored in the north, ahh the memories.

Anyway he almost chinned Archer so he is ok with me.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Barrys record of signing decent players is pretty impressive. Ok, he had a few dodgy ones (Farrington), but all in all his record of finding & signing decent players for cheap fees is hard to argue with. Just look at the strikers he bought to the club Nelson, Byrne, Small, Nogan, Gall, Gotsmanov, etc.

I'm glad we have got him back on board, and that we seem to have some sort of half decent scouting network again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here