Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

£300,000

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Will be given to each England player, if they win the World Cup. Players who have negotiated include Phil Neville. I stupidly thought players put on an England jersey for pride. :thud:

Crazy Cornish Gal

Dec 26, 2003
Brighton
Bit of a bloody incentive isn't it. Never mind the starving kids in Africa...

Way too much money in football.

Alby

Jan 4, 2005
West Sussex
Dover said:
Will be given to each England player, if they win the World Cup. Players who have negotiated include Phil Neville. I stupidly thought players put on an England jersey for pride. :thud:

Unfortunately those days went a long time ago. Would like to think that a fair few would still do it for nothing but most modern day players worship money and loyalty and pride fall way behind in their priorities.

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
Is the money given to the player? Or is it £300,000 to a charity of their choice - which would make alot more sense!

Infernal Optimist

Aug 15, 2003
Worth every penny if they win it..... I think that you only get the £300,000 if you play in every game.

Nice bonus for Leon though when he breaks into the squad :lolol:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
mmm, £300K, most of them earn that much in a month anyway, I agree, they should set an example and donate it to charity. I dare say one or two of them might already be planning to do that with their fee for the tournament anyway, Beckham is usually incredibly generous with charity contributions.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
"Players giving large sums of money to charity" doesn't sell newspapers. "Players on extortionate wages" does sell newspapers.

As Superphil says, Beckham does an enormous amount of charitable work.

Paying the players a performance-related bonus doesn't seem to be too much of a problem. As many people on here have said, if we win the World Cup no-one will care anyway.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Madness. If they were true Brits they'd play for nothing.

wilbob

Oct 22, 2005
They'll have to improve on most of the performances I saw in the qualifiers or it wouldn't matter if they got offered 3 million each there'd be no chance of them picking it up anyway! Makes you wonder though! with the talent at your disposal you should have had that group sown up way before you played us in Cardiff! maybe if the FA told the players they were getting NO MONEY AT ALL what was left would be the ones who actually played with pride & you supporters wouldn't have to put up with any more dire performances a la Austria!
Just a thought!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I don't think that this announcement is the sort of story football fans would agree with.

If they win the World Cup they will be made for life anyway, not that they already aren't.

I bet Rio Ferdinand would love the £300,00, luvvly jubbly!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Hiney said:
"Players giving large sums of money to charity" doesn't sell newspapers. "Players on extortionate wages" does sell newspapers.

As Superphil says, Beckham does an enormous amount of charitable work.

Paying the players a performance-related bonus doesn't seem to be too much of a problem. As many people on here have said, if we win the World Cup no-one will care anyway.

Good point.

A good prem player will be on, say £2 Million a year! Will the papers report it as that? No! They will say 40,000 a week!

Is the player on weekly wages? No! but it sounds more to the man in the street!

Getting back to the bonus. To be honest, most players would play for nothing these days for England. Being part of the England team does far more for their earning power (club contracts and sponsorship) than any bonus! (Ferdinand apart - obviously!)

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
I am sick to death of hearing about the amount of work some players do for charity.

If I earned the same money as they did and I also had the time I could also be charitable on their scale.

At the end of the day we all give lots of money to charity every year.

Premiership footballers = bunch of spoilt wankers

What I call a real gesture is when you have players like timosi taking a minimum wage, could we see any other players doing this? I dont think so they are too worried about how many pairs of trainers they own or when they can buy their next Ferrari.

Because of what Timosi he done I can now see Italy winning the World Cup.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Safe money, cos they ain't gonna win it :)

WATFORD O

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
SW6
Dover said:

Obscene. Imoral. Disgraceful.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
No wonder the leagues outside the Premiershit are gaining popularity-frigging Premiershite greedy twats.

As others have said-it doesn't matter 'cos they're not even close to winning it. Maybe we should demand that they each PAY 300,000 if they don't win the World Cup.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here