Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

30 years ago today ...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
... this was released. Has there ever been a more era-defining song?

[yt]1WhhSBgd3KI[/yt]

generation x

its in the blood
Nov 24, 2007
Bought the 12" extended single when it came out. Great song and remember the video of them on TOTP driving round Coventry? in an old Vauxhall Velox. Haunting stuff.

Where did those 30 years go?

Skinthead

Jul 26, 2004
There Abouts
Just cant quite believe it was 30 years ago! I was young lad of 21, about the same age as those in the video! now Im a bloody grandad! wheres that gone? :)

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Great song and remember the video of them on TOTP driving round Coventry? in an old Vauxhall Velox. Haunting stuff.

Where did those 30 years go?

Naah, sure they're driving round London, not Coventry.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Interesting that it is said to have defined an era. To me it defines the end of an era. In my opinion it rather fittingly marked the end of the mod/skinhead revival and the end of the Specials specifically.

I was too young to properly understand the message but I guess that it spoke to people at the time in the same way that (having grown up in Worthing) Morrissey's "Everyday is like Sunday" did for me.

Am I right in thinking Ghost Town was only ever a single because I'm sure it never appeared on 'More Specials'?

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Remember buying the 7" in Crawley town centre which was rather apt.

It was the first record I stole from from a certain store in London Road, Brighton Their record dept was upstairs and never any staff there. I don't for one minute condone it but I had the Top 40 for nearly 2 years

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Interesting that it is said to have defined an era. To me it defines the end of an era. In my opinion it rather fittingly marked the end of the mod/skinhead revival and the end of the Specials specifically.

When I said era, I was talking about the political era. It struck me as apposite timing that a song expressing anger about the economic situation hit number 1 just as the inner cities erupted in riots.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here