Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

£3.50 for a program???

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I am going to buy it tonight as reckon they will have made an effort with it due to price rise and the fact they want people to continue buying.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Thin edge of the wedge. That's all I am saying on this subject.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
£3.50... OK, it's not a lot of money... and I have bought a program / match day magazine at pretty much every game I have been to in the last 40 years... but I think it is perhaps just one of those things I can do without in what is an increasingly expensive activity. Pity.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
The programme has been £3 since 2005/06 and the quality has increased year on year.

Last year's programme was 84 pages and represented superb value for money, as evidenced by the award from the Programme Collectors Club.

I think we will be pleasantly surprised by this season's publication - the team work really hard to keep the content relevant.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Disposable Income

Apologies if I've missed it earlier in the thread but isn't one consideration how much "well earned" we have in our pockets?

Fuel, council tax, utilities etc all going up...but we don't have much choice there.

The Insider was making a big deal on one of the other forums about the -average- price increase for food being around 10%. Cost of programme increasing by more than 16%.

Ok...so hand's up who is expecting their wages to increase, (or for the self-employed, their profits to grow) by between 10% and 16% over the next 12 months!

If you increase prices by significantly more than earnings, then demand will inevitably fall.

Mr Barber will doubtless squeeze us as hard as he can but basic economic realities will surely demonstrate that the hefty price increases on "optional extras" is a short-sighted and misguided policy.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Doubt it's improved in quality in that time though.

Undoubtedly better in quality than the Withdean years programmes, especially the latter years.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I'm a bit of a programme collector myself,and usually agree with Hiney on this subject,but unless I can get planning permission* to turn my garage into a library I just cannot be bothered with the new matchday magazines for reasons previously stated:don't care how hard people work on something if it isn't relevant to the match.Which is why I'd prefer a slimline 60's style match programme.50p.

*To say nothing of permission from the management !

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Did buy one but not read yet so any view on the 50p increase being justified ?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Personally, no. Its more or less the same with a better spread on the opposition and some nice bits on previous matches. More of a rejig if anything... Plus I liked the gold spine on last seasons, its now just a fold and somehow looks cheaper as a result.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Personally, no. Its more or less the same with a better spread on the opposition and some nice bits on previous matches. More of a rejig if anything... Plus I liked the gold spine on last seasons, its now just a fold and somehow looks cheaper as a result.

Preferred the gold spine yes, but think this is worth the extra 50p. Seemed slightly better than last year, and sort of poster bit in the middle is a nice touch.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Good:
- Much more interesting front cover than last season
- Attractive layout throughout, building on the great design of Brilliant Orange's revamp last season
- Some cracking new retro articles - 'the Marmite Men' and 'You couldn't make it up' - proving Spencer Vignes is a very talented writer. Excellent to have Ian Hine's programme article too.
- the 'Focus' interview with questions lifted verbatim from Shoot! Magazine raised a smile

Bad:
- Staples rather than the far classier perfect binding on the spine of last season.
- Lack of captions and seemingly random choice of photos in the 'review' of the Swindon game.
- As mentioned earlier in this thread, it doesn't fulfil the function of a programme of the match itself - IMO it needs to provide more than three profiles of the opposition players and also give us a squad photo.

Ugly:
- The Sun's Paul Jiggins' uninformed, irrelevant piece. 'Welcome back to the Amex...' - yeah, as if he actually wrote that.
- Shook head at the fact there is a whole review of a Cardiff v Huddersfield league game. Why?!
- Awfully boring article on Albion fans and associates making the news. Messy, cluttered layout for those pages.

Overall, I am pleased and say it's worth £3.50.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here