Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] 2nd Test Match South Africa v England

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sorry chaps, that was my wicket. Literally the first ball after I turned it over :facepalm:

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Oh and I've got a question for any trained physios out there.

What specific benefit does playing football provide for warming up? As opposed to jogging, stretching, exercise bikes etc

Because it seems to me that the only reason they play football in the warm up is because they like a kick around. Well so do I, but these are highly paid and apparently professional players representing their country. Millions (probably) goes into sports nutritionists, psychologists, analysts, just to try and gain the slightest of slight edges .... then your only vaguely competent opener goes down with ligament damage playing football.

I mean FFS

They do it at the junior county levels too. My son was in the Sussex 1st XI last summer, and before every game they were kicking a ball around before doing proper stretching & the relevant drills. Assume its to just get the body moving - ready for the real warm ups?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
DP Sibley c de Kock b Rabada 34

Should possibly have left that one.

Eng 63/2

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Oh and I've got a question for any trained physios out there.

What specific benefit does playing football provide for warming up? As opposed to jogging, stretching, exercise bikes etc

Because it seems to me that the only reason they play football in the warm up is because they like a kick around. Well so do I, but these are highly paid and apparently professional players representing their country. Millions (probably) goes into sports nutritionists, psychologists, analysts, just to try and gain the slightest of slight edges .... then your only vaguely competent opener goes down with ligament damage playing football.

I mean FFS

Indeed. FFS.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Almost edged the ball before and then got the nick on a similar ball next delivery. Good bowling but not great from Sibley.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
How annoying is it when the commentators say ‘that’s what <insert bowlers name> does best’ that’s clearly a delivery Sibley should leave on line and length, not exactly a rip snorter was it.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
They do it at the junior county levels too. My son was in the Sussex 1st XI last summer, and before every game they were kicking a ball around before doing proper stretching & the relevant drills. Assume its to just get the body moving - ready for the real warm ups?

It beggars belief. Surely a light jog would be more beneficial to get the blood flowing. Not a 100 metre sprint but just a light jog.
This isn't the first time players have picked up an injury during a kick around. You would think they would have noticed this and changed accordingly.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Need Root and Denly to bat deep into the evening session to get England towards something well over 400, as from the pitch we will struggle to take wickets.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Need Root and Denly to bat deep into the evening session to get England towards something well over 400, as from the pitch we will struggle to take wickets.

Agreed.
But about as likely as Dunk lifting the Euro 2020 trophy at Wembley.
All out before close of play?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Root was asked about Dom Bess in for Archer and said Bess has been picked because of his "all-round package", i.e he'd score you a few runs in the tail, and not because he's likely to take 5 wickets in an innings and win you a test match.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here