Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2nd npower test Lords 16th-21st july

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don't get your point at all. I didn't say "Strauss always declares too early," or "Strauss always declares too late." My point was that he's got two declarations WRONG. The fact the circumstances of both were totally different is irrelevant.

The point is he couldn't get it right in the eyes of such a "glad we've f***ed up" critic such as yourself. If England had batted on and ran out of time tomorrow you'd be trotting out "Should have learned his lesson in the W.Indies" type lines.

Anyway, this is all bullshit - you've instigated debate, and I use the term loosely, on the supposition that England will lose. They might, but they haven't yet. None of us know whether the declaration decision was wrong yet.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
The declarations in the windies need to be put in context. Two months earlier england had lost to India by a record run chase when all the pundits were slating KP for batting too long.

These declarations are a bastard to get right, the record books seem to mean nothing these days.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I believe the only problem/decision wrong today was not to induce pressure. We should have had for the majority of the day hardly any fielders forward of mid-wicket. Close fielding and a thirdman to the quicks. To score play, forwards, thus front foot this could have caused more edges, particularly with Swann. Lack of a third man in 2 innings has leaked over 80 runs!!

There were plenty of runs to give but its pressure to play every ball that causes mistakes Strauss failed to put this pressure on

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
There is an ignore feature. Use it. Now. Or shut up because your one standard post is very tiresome too.

Very good, you f***ing plank. It must be horrible being you. Glass always half empty, looking for someone or something to blame. Tell me, who's fault it is it that you're such a miserable ****? Dropped on your head at birth?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Firstly, bearing in mind I've shelled out a lot of money to go and watch several days of the ashes, including driving to Wales last week, why on earth do you think I'd be glad if we f***ed it up?

You're probably right - like Steve Harmison on tour, I've got my line slightly wrong there.

But El Pres is right, and coupled with your line above and your endless tirades about the Albion I've suddenly had a moment of clarity...

You make what you believe are massive shows of commitment of both time and expense and if the resulting sporting endeavour doesn't conform entirely to your ideal then you seem to have to seek out someone to blame for your disappointment.

And, as El Pres says - sometimes there is no blame or fault. Sometimes our sporting heroes are on the receiving end of even greater heroics - performances of extreme skill and aptitude. Or sometimes we just suffer bad luck. We don't have to seek to abuse our lot when that happens.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
lads,its a thread about cricket does it really have to turn into a pathetic squabble?
I agree just recently any reasonable thread just deteriorates into crap. Instead of slating each other how about having a decent informed view. Not too hard is it?

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
You make what you believe are massive shows of commitment of both time and expense and if the resulting sporting endeavour doesn't conform entirely to your ideal then you seem to have to seek out someone to blame for your disappointment.

Spot. On. Disappointment happens. Deal with it.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Spot. On. Disappointment happens. Deal with it.

I also agree. The post I put above is purely an observation but lets face it if the Aussies do go on and get the runs, you/we are witness to such as great run chase that we should never forget.

This whole series will be down to batters and the conditions on the day/session. Neither side has great bowlers.

I had the privilege of playing with /watching Tim May For 2 years at Horsham and his skill was unbelievable. Today Warne mentioned he was the best to play with at his opposite end as a "foil". We in England do not have such a player let alone a Warne! These types are your match winners. For too long we have had to do with second rate spinners. Spinners win matches more so than quicks even the Windies know that. They "buy" wickets at crucial times.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
All fair points, but I only "seek to abuse" when the disappointment is monumental and catastrophic. If your team lets you down or is simply not good enough then you criticise. If I feel my team has done all they can but still come up short I don't criticise. Simple.

Just as well you are not Australian and it's Headingley 1981. England, following on 227 runs behind Australia, are 135-7 in their second innings.

Australia LOSE the match in your eyes, it has nothing to do with Botham's 149 not out or Willis's 8-43, just as if Australia win tomorrow it will have nothing to do with a superb effort from Clarke and Haddin.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here