Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

26 points from the last 22 games!!!!!

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I wonder if the Swansea model might be the ultimate guidance tool. They had Martinez who instigated the change, got them established in the Championship and then left for pastures new. Paulo Sousa came in and added defensive steel whilst still playing the Martinez principle and then ultimately they hired Brendan Rodgers who combined the defensive style with more attacking flair and bosh, look at them now! Michael Laudrup is THE inspired managerial choice of the season, or the last few seasons, and they're in no danger at all of being relegated and the way they're run is very sustainable. That's what we're after.

They won League 1 in 2008 (at the Withdean!), they got promoted to the Premier League after 3 Championship seasons, so why are we getting so worked up about potentially not getting promoted at the end of our second?

Exactly my sentiments. Have said before that I think we should be looking to emulate their example. More important than getting promoted is the style being solidified in the club from bottom to top and Bloom having an eye on who is going to continue the Gus legacy.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I believe we have way under-achieved considering the squad we have. Blame has to rest with the manager for not selecting attacking line-ups (too many draws, too few wins) and constantly fiddling with his starting eleven.

Not good enough, Gus.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yeah Gus, you defensive tosser. Gus out.

I actually blame 7-8 other sides in this division, for having squads as strong as ours and spending a lot more than us to achieve said squads.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes

I actually blame 7-8 other sides in this division, for having squads as strong as ours and spending a lot more than us to achieve said squads.

It's very apparent that we're wasting valuable internet time responding to this type of thread.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011

What about the sides with stronger squads who have spent a lot less than you?

You can argue all you like that Gus is a great manager, but the fact remains that he wastes money on poor players far more often than you'd like.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

You can argue all you like that Gus is a great manager, but the fact remains that he wastes money on poor players far more often than you'd like.

What poor overpriced players are those then?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Like "poor player" Stephen Dobbie who suddenly became a "Top player at this level" when he joined you, right?

Not "far more often" at all. The ONLY player he's spent money on who hasn't turned out quite as well as the money spent is CMS, and he still brings goals to the table. 1 player.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
Like "poor player" Stephen Dobbie who suddenly became a "Top player at this level" when he joined you, right?

Not "far more often" at all. The ONLY player he's spent money on who hasn't turned out quite as well as the money spent is CMS, and he still brings goals to the table. 1 player.

I've never said Dobbie was poor. When you signed him I said he was fantastic at this level. No idea why Gus couldn't use him properly. Maybe he just didn't like the club.

CMS? Harley? Dobbie was poor for you?

You'd better hope 'The Cyclone' turns out to be worth the £2m you've paid. I have my doubts :lolol:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I've never said Dobbie was poor. When you signed him I said he was fantastic at this level. No idea why Gus couldn't use him properly. Maybe he just didn't like the club.

CMS? Harley? Dobbie was poor for you?

You'd better hope 'The Cyclone' turns out to be worth the £2m you've paid. I have my doubts :lolol:

What would the doubts on Ulloa be then, his previous record or the combined minutes he has played? You do seem to know alot about our players for a fan of another club

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
From my point of view:

The Albion doesn't need to buy any more for at least three years.

Dunk is probably the best player at the Albion and definitely my favourite. I've only gone to the Amex once, but after twenty minutes you knew it about number 5. And it happens to be the only Brightonian alongside Hammond.

The Albion's DS, having finished third in their division, they have the best defending record of all the DS divisions in the whole country, better even than United's or Liverpool's. They are the only team who's conceded less than ten goals.

The seagulls already have the team. All you need to do is start bringing players up from the DS squad. Let them learn from the good players you already have. What was wrong with Dobbie. He almost got the seagulls six points singlehandlely against Peterborough ( having played two minutes) and Wolves ( taking the penalty in the last minute ). Mackail-Smith is an amazing player. You don't get the supporters writing you a song if you are average...

Individual skills: I've seen more at Brighton seafront, Preston park, etc...in these thirteen years here than in Madrid or the Spanish footbal on telly. The other thing is the technique, to learn to apply those skills on the pitch for your team ( i.e. Stephen Gerrard, Lampard ), and that comes with the experience.

There's enough talent in streets of this city to be playing in Europe every year.

The Albion has the coach, the players and more importanly, the supporters.

Start building a Team for the City of Brighton and Hove.

Here is a video of Luis Aragonés, the coach that rescue the Spanish national team in 2008 giving them their first title for almost 50 years. This is his speech for the Atletico players 20 minutes before their 1992 King´s Cup final against real at the Bernabeu.

After placing the blackboard in the dressing room and drawing all the tactics and individual and collective movents for their own team and the opponents, he asked: "Have you understood?...are you sure?...really?...because you know what?...this...( banging on the blackboard )...this counts for nothing! What counts is that I'm up to my balls of losing against this team, and in this stadium...What counts is that you are Atletico de Madrid and that there are 50.000 on the stands that are going to die for you...We have to die for them, for your shirt and for your dignity. We have to get out there and say on the pitch that there's only one champion and they are wearing a red and white shirt". And so tells Bernd Schuster and ex-Barcelona and real player, that he never went on to a football pitch more ardent and convinced of a sure victory.

Real Madrid - Atletico de Madrid Final de copa 1992 - Homenaje a Luis Aragonés - YouTube

The Atlético players certainly seemed up for it. Not sure they'd get away with some of those tackles these days! And what a free kick by Schuster!

By the way, El Abd's from Brighton too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here